The CycleChat Large SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I only seem to have a problem with the ground clearance part of the spec. 3 litre, 4WD, sport ✔, utility ✔ - see photos, I think transporting that lot counts as utility. Only thing is , it’s a Beemer coupé :laugh:

Attachments

• 816FEE78-9C43-4520-A95D-E51D1BBBE3D7.jpeg
    816FEE78-9C43-4520-A95D-E51D1BBBE3D7.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 7
  • C44CBBBF-33EB-4401-8E6B-428C2315DBD4.jpeg
    C44CBBBF-33EB-4401-8E6B-428C2315DBD4.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 9
  • BA2ECA76-DF34-4717-9468-8B9476E30CB4.jpeg
    BA2ECA76-DF34-4717-9468-8B9476E30CB4.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 7
  • E287233B-FD0F-4273-AF9E-3BE04C32465B.jpeg
    E287233B-FD0F-4273-AF9E-3BE04C32465B.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 6
I only seem to have a problem with the ground clearance part of the spec. 3 litre, 4WD, sport ✔, utility ✔ - see photos, I think transporting that lot counts as utility. Only thing is , it’s a Beemer coupé :laugh:
Sorry to read that
I hope you specified the extra cost indicators…….

Please tell us it’s not the ‘Medusa model’!, the ‘fugly’ X6

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I miss both my XC90's. Both Gen 1's in 163 & 205 BHP variants, but the motorhome is better for what we do. That said, I'm looking at XC70's to replace the 240. No XC90 for me now, too high for tired old hounds to jump into.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I miss both my XC90's. Both Gen 1's in 163 & 205 BHP variants, but the motorhome is better for what we do. That said, I'm looking at XC70's to replace the 240. No XC90 for me now, too high for tired old hounds to jump into.
Mine is the inbetweeney 185. Being the R Design it has the sports chassis (ie, now steers round corners properly, but is a bit harsh on the bumps) and is a whole 2cm lower. It also has the quad exhaust to is the one model that can't have a towbar fitted.

I sold my old lofted L200 because Mrs D struggled to climb in and out of it, but she managed ok in her old mk2 '90 and in mine. Indeed, considering it feels like a cyberpunk stream engine after travelling in her car she actually likes driving my '90 and regularly TWOC's it.

I like the XC70's muchly, and its possible to get some tidy ones for reasonable money. Im sure I don't need to tell you that mileage isn't such an issue if it has a good history. With those 5 pot engines, Haldex, etc, you cant entrust them to Fred In A Shed who services Nan's Corsa. Hopefully you indulge soon and titillate us with pictures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Why would the owners of these mighty leviathans want to demean themselves by driving in mere slush? Anything south a blizzard is beneath us, best left to the normies, which is what we call regular car drivers.

gzoom

Über Member
Or carrying 7 adults plus luggage :whistle: that’s if we are playing top trumps :okay::whistle::laugh:

Interms of pure 'Utility' you cannot really beat a van. This thing physically is smaller than our SUV but seated 9 + luggage....However pedal to the floor it struggled to go over 100km/hr. It was however very cheap to rent, only a tiny bit more expensive than a Fiesta :smile:.

48081953228_b158e9255c_c_d.jpg

However on a day like today you need power doors (having to physically touch the outside of a car is just so crude ;)) , every seat heated, karaoke on demand via the 17inch central screen to entertain x 3 5 year olds. 70 miles covered today with a total fuel cost of roughly £5 even with the record electricity prices we are seeing at present. Cannot really complain about the running costs of our SUV :smile:.

51709283583_9689c8c4b6_c_d.jpg

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
That is a thread for owners of large SUVs, not owners of SUVs who happen to be large. Although if you are large yourself that is no disqualification.

Qualification criteria for membership, and thus discussion of your vehicle:

Minimum weight: 1.75 tonnes.

Transmission: AWD, 4WD, either selectable or on demand.

Minimum ground clearance: 7 inches/175mm.

Ideally more than 4 cylinders and higher capacity than 2 litres, but we're flexible on this point as downsizing of engines is an insiduous modern disease.

I know there are Offender, Disco, Kodiaq, XC70 and XC90 owners out there, so slip on that lumberjack shirt and camo jacket, grow a beard, come in from the cold, and join the discussion.

Serving Suggestion:
View attachment 618878
I'm in D5 XC70. :becool:
Need a decent estate ✅
Very rural roads with no gritting ✅
Can carry us 5, luggage and dog and lots of bikes✅
Can tow over 2 tonnes ✅
Super safety record ✅
Comfy, refined and has most creature comforts required ✅
Super in snow and general kack weather✅
Equally fine in good weather✅
Doesn't break or rust✅
Looks good✅
Has the best HID headlights ever fitted to a modern car✅
Downside? Mediocre fuel economy. And there's nothing even close to it in EV territory yet so I'll be hanging on to it a while yet.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I'm in D5 XC70. :becool:
Need a decent estate ✅
Very rural roads with no gritting ✅
Can carry us 5, luggage and dog and lots of bikes✅
Can tow over 2 tonnes ✅
Super safety record ✅
Comfy, refined and has most creature comforts required ✅
Super in snow and general kack weather✅
Equally fine in good weather✅
Doesn't break or rust✅
Looks good✅
Has the best HID headlights ever fitted to a modern car✅
Downside? Mediocre fuel economy. And there's nothing even close to it in EV territory yet so I'll be hanging on to it a while yet.
Do like the look of the Volvo estates . Did consider an XC90 but could not find a good one. The new model looks very nice lovely interior. However ended up in a Discovery which was always what I hankered for.

Top Bottom