The Double Devil containment thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
So has anyone made any un essential purchases just because of the Wales trip... I just ordered a pair of new mitts even though I have a few perfectly good pairs...

Ok, I'm bored and babysitting too if that's an excuse :rolleyes::smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
I've found the cheap tool to undo Shimano pedals. Now just need about £20 more of items to get free delivery :smile:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I've found the cheap tool to undo Shimano pedals. Now just need about £20 more of items to get free delivery :smile:

The tools not that cheap if you put it in that context ^_^

Have you got an 'ass saver' mudguard? You can never have enough pairs of socks too!

bridgy

Legendary Member
So has anyone made any un essential purchases just because of the Wales trip... I just ordered a pair of new mitts even though I have a few perfectly good pairs...

Ok, I'm bored and babysitting too if that's an excuse :rolleyes::smile:
At about this time before the ride last year I bought a smaller more lightweight saddle bag for multi-tool, innertube etc - which was both silly with regards weight saved and pretty pointless to take at all as there was very thorough mechanical support throughout if I did get a puncture anyway!

What I did find really useful though was a small bag that Adam kindly gave me for the top tube for gels and snacks so I could munch away while on the move (and without the food getting unpleasantly warm and sweaty in my rear jersey pockets!)

bridgy

Legendary Member
Personally, if I was to do it again I'd also only take one 750ml water bottle (plus some electrolyte tabs) as I found the food stops regular enough for topping up one bottle and so pretty much lugged a full but unused water bottle up all the hills. I might not drink quite as much as some though so that might not suit everyone

CXRAndy

Guru
Topteak tube bag-check
New sintered pads-check
Stan's sealant-check
Greased pedals-check
Go pro +car battery-check

Just need to find rider fit enough to sit on said bike:becool:

CXRAndy

Guru
Personally, if I was to do it again I'd also only take one 750ml water bottle (plus some electrolyte tabs) as I found the food stops regular enough for topping up one bottle and so pretty much lugged a full but unused water bottle up all the hills. I might not drink quite as much as some though so that might not suit everyone
How far apart are the food stop Paul?

bridgy

Legendary Member
How far apart are the food stop Paul?
Not sure Andy - I can only remember stopping at 3, but I know we purposely skipped one (the one doing baked potatoes etc for lunch - none of us wanted to stop for that long for "proper" food at that stage in the ride), so maybe there were 4 in total? Possibly 5. Which suggests they were about every 20 or 25 miles or so.

I did get an extra top up of food and drink in addition to the 3 official ones I stopped at from Adam's wife in a layby though.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I need 2 bottles I think but I agree about trying to avoid carrying too much crap. Ecspecially on a well supported ride.

I think through trial and error I've got what I need to carry and nothing more. My bike's well maintained so barring really bad luck I should be ok.

I think I should edit that to say fingers crossed as always!

Last edited:
Top Bottom