The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I have had Amazon Prime for years and have watched Amazon's football coverage before. I also have Sky sports. I think the technical aspects of Amazon's coverage is superior to Sky's. With Sky I suffer short periods of out of focus pictures, sometimes loss of sound and other random technical 'glitchs' Amazon, no such problems . . . Yet. ^_^
got one of my lads to sign me into Prime , watched the last 30mins of the NU vNO quality of picture was blurry for a few minutes, then it seemed to sort itself .

OP
OP
Spartak

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Great goal from Pukki.... ⚽

COYY 🔰

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Great goal from Pukki.... ⚽

COYY 🔰
The fascinating thing is which players will come into NUFC in the transfer window with (presumably) unlimited money to spend but, in all likelihood, relegation on the cards. Presumably the incomers will have a parachute clause in the event of relegation but that hardly gets them manning the barricades

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was at that match.^_^

I'd say this is one of the most famous FA Cup final goals and one of the most famous Images, of Charlie George lying on the ground after scoring it. I saw him play for Derby (with 1970's permed hair^_^) when Rovers played them at the Baseball Ground in the FA Cup in 1978.

I still have the program, though it is/was more of a newspaper. Derby spent a few seasons having a thin tabloid sized newspaper thingy, rather than a traditional footy program.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I know you want me to ask :okay:, so why/how were you there? 🤔
My football watching or supporting life is long and complicated. No one in my family had the slightest interest in football and living very rurally there was no club to support. Aldershot Town was the closest League club, an hour by bus. From aged 12 or so I spent my Saturdays watching Southern League Guildford City.

This was the 60s and even at 13/14 I was allowed to travel solo to London. I'd often watch Liverpool away. I just loved watching football and LFC were wonderful to watch. My Dad was given a ticket in the Arsenal end and I swapped it with a Gunner outside Wembley for the Liverpool end.

Next you'll ask why Rovers? Keith Newton! I was raised in a small Hampshire village. Newton was in the WC squad and played for England. Blackburn? Where is Blackburn? That's how life was. I loved the shirt and my interest was sparked and I'd keep an eye out for Rovers results just as I did others like Liverpool, Exeter, Newcastle, Southampton, Celtic (great shirt) and Ipswich.

In 1982 we moved to Lancashire. At a loose end one Saturday I wandered down to Ewood just to watch a game v Portsmouth. I stood on that funny bit of terrace between the Blackburn End and Nuttall Street.

People spoke to me! Even then for a southerner this was still an unusual experience! With my accent I must have sounded as though I was born outside Fratton Park but no one cared.

I really felt like I had come home, this was my club, love at first sight and I've hardly missed a home game since. Two of my kids are diehards the other likes cricket! 😄

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Some big scores in the women's world cup games tonight, 20 for England, 11 for Ireland and Scotland concede 8.
The issue in the women's game is that in the top leagues and countries the standards are improving rapidly, I watch a english league game on TV the other day, the skill levels are very good its better to watch than the men's game, but the minnow's are keeping up for the minute. if you look at every group in this qualifying comp, there are some massive goal difference swings between the top and bottom teams.

That said we have a similar albeit smaller issue with the "minnows" in the men's game getting thrashed and picking up a point in a qual game is a rare thing.

We started our hockey season this year, after a bit of a league reshuffle with a 23-0 win. Fortunately the games have got more competitive as that wasn't much fun for either side, and certainly not for the oppo.

yello

I get to watch a lot of women's football because it's televised a good deal here in France. The difference in standards across teams in the same league is big enough but taken across the world, even more so.

I follow Leicester City Women (when they're on the FA Player, or club TV) and last season they walked away with the league and were promoted to the WSL. They got several new players in over the summer but they are struggling, stuck firmly to the bottom without a point. The difference in standard in the WSL is obvious to see. Hopefully, in time, those gaps will close.

On a general note, I do enjoy watching the women's game. It's a different game and that, for me, was the key to enjoying it - appreciating that it is a different game. Tactics and skills are there, the physicality is different.

I watched the France v Wales match last night, and with Wales 1-0 down and maybe 10 minutes to go, a Welsh player struck a volley sweet as you like, difficult enough given the way the ball came at her, but it was on-target and had some wellie..... only to be pushed wide by a top drawer save. Excellent stuff.

If you ever have the chance to watch Wendie Renard (CB for France and OL) then do so, she just oozes class.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Better not repeat that to Souness :boxing:
he was a good player....i just dont think he was one of our best, not only that, but he original played for spurs and then middlesborough, before they shipped him out on loan...then to liverpool

Top Bottom