The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
1675796381139.jpeg

The real Brendon Rogers. I don’t know, he could have that Klopp factor!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
All quiet on here , not many City fans ? It seems very serious this time around ?

I feel this will take years to reach a conclusion by which time it will be too late for the outcome to have much impact on past seasons. I've read reports of City being stripped of titles and those awarded to the second placed team. I'm not sure that has much meaning.

Any punishment or sanction handed out which relegated City, points deduction etc. would have a negative impact on the rest of the game.

If found guilty what could happen? To have an impact it would need to be a very severe punishment. One question I asked myself is this, could the EFL refuse City a place in the league? The club's presence would skew the league badly, to the point of there being almost no point to the season. Realistically let City into the Championship and immediately there's only one promotion spot to play for.

The episode demonstrates the danger of allowing money to rule the game. We've reached the stage now whereby some owners, not just at City, are so powerful there is little which can be done to control them.

As I've posted before the sooner we are rid of these so called big clubs the better. A closed European super league would be welcome in my view.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I certainly wouldn't want Man City in the championship, even if they did have a exodus of star players they would probably still stroll the league. maybe if they were relegated it could come with a stipulation tat they had to play Shaun Goater up front every game?

Chislenko

Veteran
I feel this will take years to reach a conclusion by which time it will be too late for the outcome to have much impact on past seasons. I've read reports of City being stripped of titles and those awarded to the second placed team. I'm not sure that has much meaning.

Any punishment or sanction handed out which relegated City, points deduction etc. would have a negative impact on the rest of the game.

If found guilty what could happen? To have an impact it would need to be a very severe punishment. One question I asked myself is this, could the EFL refuse City a place in the league? The club's presence would skew the league badly, to the point of there being almost no point to the season. Realistically let City into the Championship and immediately there's only one promotion spot to play for.

The episode demonstrates the danger of allowing money to rule the game. We've reached the stage now whereby some owners, not just at City, are so powerful there is little which can be done to control them.

As I've posted before the sooner we are rid of these so called big clubs the better. A closed European super league would be welcome in my view.

Yes, these big clubs are stifling the competition. Two 16 year olds plucked from Cardiff this week, one to City, one to United.

How are the "lesser" clubs meant to grow if all their talent is taken to fill up premier League academies?

You can't blame the kids as their eyes will probably have seen the pound notes!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Two 16 year olds plucked from Cardiff this week, one to City, one to United.

and the chances are they will be discarded before getting to the stage of signing a pro contract, and if they do they do sign pro terms, they will spend ages 19-24 loaned out to variety of lower / non league clubs before a permanent transfer to a lower league club as it slowly becomes apparent there isnt a prem league footballer in there.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
and the chances are they will be discarded before getting to the stage of signing a pro contract, and if they do they do sign pro terms, they will spend ages 19-24 loaned out to variety of lower / non league clubs before a permanent transfer to a lower league club as it slowly becomes apparent there isnt a prem league footballer in there.

In reality this already happens and has been the situation for two decades. I usually point to Todd Kane as an example as he played for Rovers. Aged 8, yes eight, in 2001 he joined Chelsea, a club he has never made a first team appearance for despite being "their" player for 18 years. CFC retained him as a player till 2019 during which time he had 8 loan spells when QPR bought him, later transferred to Coventry who have loaned him to Charlton.

My view is simple. If a club believes in the player then invest time and money in that player. In the case of Todd Chelsea allowed eight other clubs to pay his wages over seven years before deciding if he was good enough or not!

Money used to flow through the game as players moved around clubs generating transfer fees and encouraging player development. Today not only do the "big" clubs expect to control their positions with outrageous financial support but also expect to "own" every potential talent while forcing lower league clubs to bear all their employment costs. It stinks.

Screenshot_20230208_084216_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
In reality this already happens and has been the situation for two decades. I usually point to Todd Kane as an example as he played for Rovers. Aged 8, yes eight, in 2001 he joined Chelsea, a club he has never made a first team appearance for despite being "their" player for 18 years. CFC retained him as a player till 2019 during which time he had 8 loan spells when QPR bought him, later transferred to Coventry who have loaned him to Charlton.

My view is simple. If a club believes in the player then invest time and money in that player. In the case of Todd Chelsea allowed eight other clubs to pay his wages over seven years before deciding if he was good enough or not!

Money used to flow through the game as players moved around clubs generating transfer fees and encouraging player development. Today not only do the "big" clubs expect to control their positions with outrageous financial support but also expect to "own" every potential talent while forcing lower league clubs to bear all their employment costs. It stinks.

View attachment 677259

Seems odd that none of the loan clubs tried to keep him on, or that he/his representatives didn't try to find him a permanent move away from Chelsea in those 7 years?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Seems odd that none of the loan clubs tried to keep him on, or that he/his representatives didn't try to find him a permanent move away from Chelsea in those 7 years?

Yes, it's a good point which I obviously can't answer. Kane is a journeyman and I suppose no club felt it worth risking a transfer fee on him.

This is the benefit to the club a player is loaned to, only wages to pay and no fee. Where those clubs miss out is the big payday if they unearth a superstar.

Top Bottom