FNRttC The Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 27th August 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Oh that was a good-un....Obviously, it was great for me to be back, to complete the ride and to avoid any incidents. Low-speed interface with hedge excepted
blush.gif
(narrow uphill, trying to make my way through the peloton, caught someone's wheel with my own, lost control. No harm done!). First time TECing (on the first half), apart from the Hall tandem's puncture at HPC and the one at Greenwich, thankfully not much to do except make sure waymarkers and the slower riders didn't get dropped. Which I managed OK. And I was not that much slower, though I didn't get the chance to eat much until Rochester- every time we made it back to regroups, the cry of 'we're on our way' went straight after. We spent much of our time looking after Rebecca (I think?), who was struggling somewhat, particularly on the climbs (a combination of lack of experience, lack of low gearing, and her energy levels- she had the same problem as us regarding food). It wasn't really surprising when she decided to bail, but I hope we'll see her back. And it was great to see Marna on an FNR for the first time since Bognor last year, she seemed in fine form. Had a pleasant surprise when I discovered Mark C (aka Biondino from BR forums, and who I've met up with a few times) was on the ride. He enjoyed himself, though he was glad to get to Whitstable, his energy levels were flagging a bit...he might well be back though.
As ever, kudos to Simon, (fellow) TECs, waymarkers et al. Not forgetting the splendid catering- Mrs Hall's rock cakes, Mrs Olaf's marble cake, and Andy's and the Waterfront. Roll on Saaaaarfend :smile:
My photos, such as they are, here

Note: Deleted the original post, reposted an edited version, at Mark's request.

BigSteev

Nice selection of photos Tim.
thumbsup.png
The sunrise over Kent and the multi-colouredness of the Claud are my personal faves.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
As bad as Ian, talk about praising with faint damns.

Talking of multi-coloured - did you notice that nice frame close-up? Never mind the lugs, it's the rare distressed-copper finish I'm excited about - the subtle verdigris touches and exquisite iridescence. You don't see a lot of those about...

TimO

Guru
... the sight if people having full breakfasts with chips at 8AM ...

... and pudding afterwards, and the odd pint of beer.

:biggrin:

Gazablanca

Thanks Simon and all I rode and chatted with for making my maiden FNRttC voyage such a memorable one. Great route, excellent company and a sleep-deprivation-induced-dreamlike-quality to the whole affair! Not to mention the restorative properties of a few beers and laughs on a Saturday morning. I'll definitely be back for more...

Best,
Gareth.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thanks Simon and all I rode and chatted with for making my maiden FNRttC voyage such a memorable one. Great route, excellent company and a sleep-deprivation-induced-dreamlike-quality to the whole affair! Not to mention the restorative properties of a few beers and laughs on a Saturday morning. I'll definitely be back for more...

Best,
Gareth.

Hello. Are you the tall, slim chap who met us earlier at Sloane Square? :hello:

I am having forum name/real person confusion over this ride, and might have to request that people start wearing badges. Frustruck - you're not the same person as Chris (with the barrel of brownies) are you? And if not, what do you look like? Chris might have told me his forum name, but I've forgotten. And then there was the woman who had a CycleChat jersey on but wasn't a CycleChatter. It is a compound crux, an almost insoluble pancake. Can anyone help me out?

Christopher

Über Member
hi TC

It was me with the barrel of brownies. My name in the 'real world' is Christopher.

Nice to meet you all -sorry if I was a bit shy, I found meeting lots of new people + riding all night a bit overwhelming. Have done one or the other a few times but never together.

I had a brief but insane urge to ride off on Dell's gorgeous Colnago C50 and leave him my tourer when I saw his ride propped up against the railings at a stop... hm, sure I can't have the only person to think that. Keep an eye on it Dell!

The woman with the CycleChat top was having a borrow from Andy Allsopp as she was cold - particularly so after exiting Andy's Café. He valiantly rode into Whitstable bare-chested. (Well is sounds like FNR gallantry but it wasn't exactly like that) :smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
hi TC

It was me with the barrel of brownies. My name in the 'real world' is Christopher.

Nice to meet you all -sorry if I was a bit shy, I found meeting lots of new people + riding all night a bit overwhelming. Have done one or the other a few times but never together.

I had a brief but insane urge to ride off on Dell's gorgeous Colnago C50 and leave him my tourer when I saw his ride propped up against the railings at a stop... hm, sure I can't have the only person to think that. Keep an eye on it Dell!

That's cleared that up then! Sorry for the recognition failure. Welcome to the FNRttC and thanks for the brownie!

Colnago Schmolnago*. Middle-aged men's jewellery, as he'll readily admit. Whatever next - white jeans?

*in the event of my coming into a large amount of money, I reserve the right to a shameless u-turn in my ostensible opinions on Colnago frames...

Top Bottom