The Great Cyclechat Jersey Relay - Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
With all the people located around the Peak I can see the jersey criss - crossing all over the place! Longers has already offered to drop off to / pick up from Bonj at the Ladybower (when is the Snake Pass re-opening?) and I am happy to pick up on or around one of the Pennine passes. I guess I am fairly well positioned for a Leeds direction drop off.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm losing track. Can we do a bit of a recap?

Do we have a jersey? Where will it start out? Once it's on the road (so to speak) we can plan its route as we go along. We'll have to make sure no-one who wanted a go gets missed out.

Can we assume everyone on Bonj's map will want a go? Or only all those who've posted in this thread?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
User76 said:
Well I could easily get it to your or Summerdays, but looking at your avatar, maybe Summerdays would be the safer bet, I don't want to die:ohmy:

radger said:
:angry:

I only look like that when I've been cycling up hills in the heat.

honest xx(
Well being lazy ... I don't mind getting it from south Bristol from User76 to the Downs - not too hard work (ignoring the hills), in fact if its two separate journey's then the Downs one is definately easy (from home). I guess I could make it slightly harder for myself by cycling a bit more of the way out of Bristol to meet you Maggot. (Never been south of Bristol boundary on a bike before so it would be new territory:biggrin:.)

Aint Skeered

Uncle Phil said:

Do we have a jersey? Where will it start out? Once it's on the road (so to speak) we can plan its route as we go along. We'll have to make sure no-one who wanted a go gets missed out.

Can we assume everyone on Bonj's map will want a go? Or only all those who've posted in this thread?

We need a leader, anybody willing to co-ordinate this? The south coast crew should be fairly easy to organise as we are fairly evenly spaced

ChrisKH

Guru
If we're looking at logistics now I could do

London (City /West /East) to Essex, or;

Essex to London (City/West/East), or;

Essex to Essex (can make most places but not too far North otherwise I might start sleeping with my sister......)

I recall from the C+ days that the shirt just started out and people just arranged the handovers as they went along. It just became problematical when it hit areas where there was no one to carry (e.g. Amazon basin).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aint Skeered said:
We need a leader, anybody willing to co-ordinate this? The south coast crew should be fairly easy to organise as we are fairly evenly spaced

I'm handily placed in Brighton for a jaunt west (Chichester)or north(Horsham) for instance or indeed Pete in Buggers Hole!

Aint Skeered

rich p said:
I'm handily placed in Brighton for a jaunt west (Chichester)or north(Horsham) for instance or indeed Pete in Buggers Hole!

We're only talking 20 mile stages here Rich, not exactly epic, can we go round the houses a bit

Danny

Legendary Member
User76 said:
And here's the good bit, when the last person has it, they post Nigger er, better make that "The Eagle Has Landed" loud and proud on the site:biggrin:
Not at all humorous I'm afraid ;)

bonj2

Sh4rkyBloke said:
I'll do a Manchester area handover if it helps.

I know there are several people within Mancland (John-the-monkey / Fossyant / SamNichols etc.) so we can either pass it amongst ourselves or maybe even do a joint handover to someone else nearby(ish) for it to continue it's journey.

Are we doing photos at each handover too? Perhaps a wee Jersey Blog to help trace its progress around the country?
YES - that's the whole point...;)

Chris James said:
With all the people located around the Peak I can see the jersey criss - crossing all over the place! Longers has already offered to drop off to / pick up from Bonj at the Ladybower (when is the Snake Pass re-opening?) and I am happy to pick up on or around one of the Pennine passes. I guess I am fairly well positioned for a Leeds direction drop off.
it was open from here as far as ladybower last weekend, and there's sometimes a road closed sign just past the road up to derwent but it wasn't there on sunday. There are some of those motorway-style signs in town saying it's closed though.
I don't think they close it from ladybower to sheffield, it's only between ladybower and glossop (just the glossop side of the bamford road)
so it's ok for me...

longers

Legendary Member
bonj said:
it was open from here as far as ladybower last weekend, and there's sometimes a road closed sign just past the road up to derwent but it wasn't there on sunday. There are some of those motorway-style signs in town saying it's closed though.
I don't think they close it from ladybower to sheffield, it's only between ladybower and glossop (just the glossop side of the bamford road)
so it's ok for me...

It is shut from Ladybower to here because of a landslip, it happened a couple of weeks ago. No news on when it will re-open as they have exceeded both their estimates so far. It will be open or at least passable by bike by the time the shirt gets close.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:

I think it's more or less a plan that the jersey is posted to McD in jersey, picked up by User76 and "they're off!"

I set up this thread so as to get a clear idea of who wants in - I think perhaps once it gets going we should start a separate "Official Jersey progress" thread. And with regular reminders over on the 'where are you?' thread perhaps, to anyone who wants to be involved.

Once it's on the road, I think arrangements can be made ad hoc within the progress thread. Perhaps agree not to arrange anything about passing on with less than a week's notice, to allow anyone interested to see it and chip in to be involved. For areas where we do have lots of people, I like Postman's idea of a posse - a suitable pub/cafe rendezvous perhaps.

My feeling is that it ought to be more about the travelling than the arriving (I actually used that line in a job interview recently, I'm assured that wasn't why I failed to get the job). So while it would be nice, eventually to have a triumphant homecoming and retirement of the jersey, it ought to be the act of carrying it and meeting up that really matters. It could, if the forum kept growing, just keep on going, with a replacement jersey as each fills up with signatures. A sort of endless quest for the holy grail.

What does anyone else think?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm very happy to carry it part of the way - I can do either the bit around Crewe/Sandbach/Haslington or do a handover from there to South or Central Manchester as part of my commute (I travel Wilmslow through Heald Green to the Centre of Manchester).

I could probably do 20 miles, I suppose, although I've never done more than 13 in one go...!

Incidentally Arch, I like your take on the whole thing.

Top Bottom