The happy "nothing bad happened on my commute" thread ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Despite the weather looking grey and chilly, it turned out to be nice and warm (and despite the cloud cover, bright). :biggrin:
Also, my newly-built rear wheel didn't produce so much as a "ting" when I set off - hopefully my tensioning's getting better. :biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yesterday evening was glorious.

Car on fire and cricket at Edgbaston meant that South Birmingham was in near gridlock.

And I was sailing past on my bicycle!!

dondare

Über Member
Going into London today climbing the dip side of Archway I started going round a stationary bus to be confronted by a huge lorry coming down. It must all have looked very alarming to anyone not appreciating just how good my instincts and reflexes are.
Nothing bad happened.

What a refreshing change.....

Loaded up the mule trailer with long overdue recycling and headed off, Lots of parked cars after bus lane just out of hours, ended up being pretty much shadowed by a patient range rover driver not making any attempt to get past even when there would have been safe space for one car to pass, but rather holding back and stopping the inevitable following-through of cars behind should he have overtaken.

Unusual and very welcome behaviour from the driver of a car not normally associated with patience and considerate driving

This thread needs a health warning.

Post in here and that immediately signs you up to days of harassment and aggro to come...

I think that maybe there's a bad driving fairy as well as a p-word one, that sees posts in here and decides that you are obviously not taking your fair share of numpties

tiswas-steve

Über Member
I had my very TDF moment yesterday, just happily crawling along Croxted road in SE London . Pulled away from the lights outside Tesco , when two road bikes passed me going wheel to wheel with each other. I thought OHHHHHHHH !! im having some of that !! , tucked in behind the rider at the rear and we continued to travel pantheon styleee up College Hill towards Crystal Palace.

I was going to say thanks for making my journey a wee bit more exciting when they stopped at the lights at the top of the hill , but they were going right while I had to go with the flow and turn left towards Sydenham.

If any of you guys see this post and remember passing a Spechy Allez Sports on Croxted rd ........ Cheers !! I enjoyed our brief moment .
cool.gif

david w 1

Cycled to work with a strong wind behind me..........then whilst at work the wind shifted sufficiently to blow me all the way home!! Happy days......

David

marcw

got stuck in traffic crossing the A406, popped my hear round a van but not enough space. Scandinavian driver encourages me to filter and trys to move out of the way pointing out that I'm faster than him. Maybe he was trying to get me to fall off my bike.

MGBLemonrider

other than being scalped.
I don't normally see anyone else on my way in for an early shift. But today 0545 I was passed by a "Welwyn Wheeler" going up Digswell Hill. I was able to hold on to his wheel the rest of the way up the hill.
At the top he pulled off into the layby either to: Head off through the woods on the cycle route; investigate the strange creaking and grunting noise or he'd bonked with the effort.

But thank you for spurring me on and turning what would have been a slow average commute in to a fast average one.

I think he went down the cycle route.

BenM

Veteran
Nothing at all untoward happened on the way in, though the population of female cyclists going in my direction was inexplicably (and pleasantly ;) ) high today (2 as opposed to 0).

Later on I followed a full sus MTB along the road cos he wasn't going slow enough to overtake, given road and traffic conditions) but he was going a reasonable speed so I didn't mind. Took to the main road rather than the cycle path so I could overtake him and was met with nothing but courtesy and wide overtakes by the cars (including BMWs and Mercs :biggrin: )

Good time in as well - 15/16 mins.

I am looking forward to the homeward trip this evening

david w 1

Usual commute today......pushed into work with a nice prevailing wind which had sort of dropped by the time i headed home.

Bike went well.....no crazy drivers....i was even treated well by every bus driver that past me!!!

But I have to use the car tomorrow.........aggghhhh!!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
New record this morning on the way in, but sadly just short of a 20 mile/h average.

And this afternoon my wife has insisted that I take the long route home (40 miles rather than 6), as she is getting her hair cut.
biggrin.gif

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Went the scenic route home last night and it was about 9:15 when a driver pulled slowly alongside me up a big hill with narrow lanes and a double white line. I looked warily in his direction. "I can't see you at all from behind" he said, in a tone of mild but firm reproach, completely devoid of aggression or impatience. It would have been extremely churlish to point out that that couldn't literally be true :evil:. So I didn't :angel:. "Is my back light not working?" I asked instead. "Your back light's not working," he confirmed. "Oh! Thanks for letting me know." Stopped and switched on the spare, and everybody's happy. Isn't that nice? Lovely ride home as well - found a Gower road I didn't know was there, and bought some blueberries and runner beans from an honesty box. :smile:

Top Bottom