The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,
Well bike buying, especially old bike buying is such a personal thing isn't it?

Wouldn't have been interested in either of these personally, but for completely different reasons........
Having broken two frame within the last few years, 1 CF and 1 531, I am starting to get cautious about frame life, I have also broken a new 501 frame within the first couple of thousand miles.:sad:

Both 753 and 531 Pro (SL or whatever the flavour of month was for the name) were sold on light weight rather than durability.

With both the broken frames I was lucky, the steel broke coming off a roundabout on a bypass, the following cars avoided me, an HGV wouldn't have. The CF crack I caught by a visual inspection, but I could have been riding it for a few days and I have a section of the commute that is a 40mph downhill blast.

I wonder if I am an exception, but how many old steel frame buyers are older people with the same concerns.

Bye

Ian

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Good morning,

Having broken two frame within the last few years, 1 CF and 1 531, I am starting to get cautious about frame life, I have also broken a new 501 frame within the first couple of thousand miles.:sad:

Both 753 and 531 Pro (SL or whatever the flavour of month was for the name) were sold on light weight rather than durability.

With both the broken frames I was lucky, the steel broke coming off a roundabout on a bypass, the following cars avoided me, an HGV wouldn't have. The CF crack I caught by a visual inspection, but I could have been riding it for a few days and I have a section of the commute that is a 40mph downhill blast.

I wonder if I am an exception, but how many old steel frame buyers are older people with the same concerns.

Bye

Ian

Never had one break on me but have seen a 531 frame crack across the head tube just after a ride .
Had a couple of alloy frames with cracks on the head stock which I then stripped parts of and sold the frames for repairs.
It doesn't worry me as they could fail at any point with or without warning

davidphilips

Veteran
Have had two frames crack on me, an alloy that cracked at the bottom of the seat tube and a titanium litespeed perhaps my favorite bike crack at the head tube, both cracks where seen when cleaning the bikes after club runs and in my view highlights the importance of cleaning along with close visual inspection and maintenance.

D

Deleted member 1258

Never had one break on me but have seen a 531 frame crack across the head tube just after a ride .
Had a couple of alloy frames with cracks on the head stock which I then stripped parts of and sold the frames for repairs.
It doesn't worry me as they could fail at any point with or without warning

I've not broken a frame myself, one of the few things I haven't broken, but a club mate of mine had a steel frame fail, I think it was a 531 frame, it failed across the down tube levers, I was riding next to him and it sounded like a spoke breaking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris S

Legendary Member

And he's painted over the gear cable and clamps. The frame will be the original colour underneath.

s-l1600.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Dip painted by the looks of it!!

Left the decal though

davidphilips

Veteran

Is there something missing with the chain guard? Can not help thinking when i see the pictures of painting over clips etc that when the seller describes it as Labour of love hate and tears looking to sell to a loving home, they really mean is they would hate to put the time and money into a good restoration, love to sell it to any one for 100 times what its worth and leave the tears to the buyer?

Top Bottom