The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good evening

This appealed to me, Planet X seem to be following the Ribble model of "How much can we get for a bike/frame?" and have even duplicated Ribble's quirks of sometimes offering a whole bike for less than the price of the frame.

Untitled.png

Yet they have out-done Ribble by putting the two on the same screen, the above is an unedited screen capture.

In a way it is quite sad as Planet X have had difficulties recently and I have been curious about the new owners and their plans.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15539618...GNUjhhZwG+mjTGDx/oBoebhy0=|tkp:Bk9SR_KPrd-0Yg

Nearly £700 for a seatpost?! I thought seller had the decimal point in the wrong place, but checking out his other items there's some shifters for similar money. In fact everything they have listed shows this person clearly lives in the land of make believe, or they've promised the wife they will sell some bike stuff, but really has no intention of letting anything go, so has priced it at a level it will never sell.

Gunk

Guru
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155396181144?hash=item242e558c98:g:WMcAAOSw0atj4T-F&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0O4kS58h3VqmbBb3KtTQxpPDxBDCgy0mLKtWwfSb+KIHJGiYVggx8Sqzrfns/S9XWWW/CqDEKgG63PTd+pwVzKJoaVeUTRHmUKZVpY/xDQ5KdmwP/BqZzDu4mZQClq7Q/TLjjDc8t7nWoCniibx1QZemhGz2IJAS2xI14a9pp7LArkmNFuhtx4O3KplPHGZ5Crvf6SKZqmUwlA2J1R3HkOtfWEZIpHmZlmX0WtoJoO6ICfRPzVTpsrQFwoZnjnGNUjhhZwG+mjTGDx/oBoebhy0=|tkp:Bk9SR_KPrd-0Yg

Nearly £700 for a seatpost?! I thought seller had the decimal point in the wrong place, but checking out his other items there's some shifters for similar money. In fact everything they have listed shows this person clearly lives in the land of make believe, or they've promised the wife they will sell some bike stuff, but really has no intention of letting anything go, so has priced it at a level it will never sell.

I sold an identical seat post a couple of years ago, but a bit scruffy for £80

Chris S

Legendary Member
The £2000 bike is now on FB Marketplace for £500.

I've just noticed that there is only one cable going into the trigger shifter, 4-speeds use two. The bike has only got three or two gears depending on which one is connected. And this is supposed to be completely restored!

s-l1600.jpg

carpenter

Über Member
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155396181144?hash=item242e558c98:g:WMcAAOSw0atj4T-F&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0O4kS58h3VqmbBb3KtTQxpPDxBDCgy0mLKtWwfSb+KIHJGiYVggx8Sqzrfns/S9XWWW/CqDEKgG63PTd+pwVzKJoaVeUTRHmUKZVpY/xDQ5KdmwP/BqZzDu4mZQClq7Q/TLjjDc8t7nWoCniibx1QZemhGz2IJAS2xI14a9pp7LArkmNFuhtx4O3KplPHGZ5Crvf6SKZqmUwlA2J1R3HkOtfWEZIpHmZlmX0WtoJoO6ICfRPzVTpsrQFwoZnjnGNUjhhZwG+mjTGDx/oBoebhy0=|tkp:Bk9SR_KPrd-0Yg

Chancer; also trying to sell pair of Doc Martens for 30% more than shop price :laugh:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This horror assaulted my senses on FB marketplace earlier:

Optimistic destroyer-of-bikes said:
Vintage Raleigh single speed from 1980s, Reynolds 653 frame. 22" frame. The bike is in great condition and is very well kept: new chain and new back tyre fitted last winter, bullhorn handlebar with recently fitted tape, brown saddle from Charge, vintage pedals too.

361415398_7134652876562240_1420130011365778168_n.jpg

363025405_6411849942231087_4800030218455154993_n.jpg

365382469_6639279949428820_1441940045616848866_n.jpg

I still can't quite make out if the seller's a total fantasist or an accomplished troll; as basically everything in the listing is incorrect. It's not a "Raleigh single speed" it's a once-decent Raleigh road bike that someone's butchered into some horrible hipster-esque abortion.

From the utterly absmal state of it I'm not sure how could anyone possibly describe it as either "great condition" or "well kept" :blink:

Last edited:
This horror assaulted my senses on FB marketplace earlier:

View attachment 702865

View attachment 702866

View attachment 702867

I still can't quite make out if the seller's a total fantasist or an accomplished troll; as basically everything in the listing is incorrect. It's not a "Raleigh single speed" it's a once-decent Raleigh road bike that someone's butchered into some horrible hipster-esque abortion.

From the utterly absmal state of it I'm not sure how could anyone possibly describe it as either "great condition" or "well kept" :blink:

Based on your rather derogatory language I take it that you are not a fan????

Pictures do suggest that "great condition" is somewhat over egging the pudding

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Based on your rather derogatory language I take it that you are not a fan????

Pictures do suggest that "great condition" is somewhat over egging the pudding
It's akin to offering a turd on a plate with a little flag in it for a grand, upon the steadfast assertion that it's caviar.

It implies that the seller is - at best - highly untrustworthy, and that they think their prospective buyers have the observational skills and intelligence of a potato. It's them standing directly infront of you, urinating freely over everything in sight and declaring with unshakable conviction that it's raining.

It's an absolute affront to those the advert seeks to target and I can't begin to imagine the seller's mindset if they genuinely consider this to be the most appropriate and efficient approach to flogging this absolute turd.

Quite tempted to send them a message now, tbh :tongue:

Top Bottom