The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got mine done yesterday, up early & left the Yorkshire coast at around 6am & made my way over to the west coast, picking up & following a vast majority of The Way Of The Roses route to Morecambe. Made it with loads of time to spare for my last train back to Hull :okay:
It was a tough ride, too many hills & too much heat 2nd half of the route :blush:
https://www.strava.com/activities/5653456920

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Got mine done yesterday, up early & left the Yorkshire coast at around 6am & made my way over to the west coast, picking up & following a vast majority of The Way Of The Roses route to Morecambe. Made it with loads of time to spare for my last train back to Hull :okay:
It was a tough ride, too many hills & too much heat 2nd half of the route :blush:
https://www.strava.com/activities/5653456920

Well done chap. It must have been a massive grind at times with yesterday's intense heat.

sittingbull

Veteran
Well I wasn't going to drift out of the challenge without at least making an attempt, and this was the last day. According to my Garmin it was 6 weeks since my last ride. I knew it wouldn't be easy. Everything was fully charged and I was carrying all the food I could manage. I got to the bike to notice the front tyre was soft, only to be expected really but the rear was definitely flat. I remembered fixing a puncture all those weeks ago and thought it had been OK for the following ride. It was now 2pm and I had a mechanical before even starting out :rolleyes: Fortunately I had a spare set of wheels set up for the Allez, problem solved.

My route was more of a meander than out and back which I normally prefer. I knew this ride would be more about time on the bike and keeping pedalling rather than pace. By 35 miles I was running on fumes, I stopped for a sandwich and admired the view of the River Weaver running under the bridge I had just crossed. I decided to turn for home to get within bail-out distance. The next part of my route was back and forth between Pickering's Pasture and Spike Island on sections of the Trans-Pennine Trail. Gradually my mileage crept up and with continual nourishment I felt I could keep going.

In the latter part of my ride I hit Sefton Park to knock out some steady laps without traffic lights etc. I knew I didn't have too much time to spare and there was always the possibility of another flat. At this stage the showers started, light at first, then heavy, no time to shelter. Just me riding through the darkness with the foxes crossing in front of me. At around 11:25pm I hit the 100 and the relief hit me. Still in.

Just a few pics from my ride:

602095 602101

602096 602102

602097 602103

Right, I'm off to the beginners section to start a "my bum hurts - is this normal?" thread ;)

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got my August qualifier done today, went out solo & did around 65 miles, before meeting up with my wife & she almost completed the ride with me, but was tired so peeled off early. Lovely day for it, tried to rain briefly around lunch time & the wind picked up a little, but nothing to spoil the day. A few sherberts late on in the ride, very pleasant Sunday :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yesterdays cycling shenanigans. A really nice Kent loop with @Trickedem . The weather was perfect, the riding was perfect. Even the comedy off roading (this time my fault) was eer..fun.
1f604.png
. We gave up on the gps route and made it up as we went along. Sometimes its the best way.
So scores on the doors.
102 miles for the day.
Century ride #13 for the year.
Century #300 over all.
Month 129 In a row.
1629101137022.png

1629101153538.png

1629101168924.png

Trickedem

Guru
Yesterdays cycling shenanigans. A really nice Kent loop with @Trickedem . The weather was perfect, the riding was perfect. Even the comedy off roading (this time my fault) was eer..fun. View attachment 604491 . We gave up on the gps route and made it up as we went along. Sometimes its the best way.
So scores on the doors.
102 miles for the day.
Century ride #13 for the year.
Century #300 over all.
Month 129 In a row.
View attachment 604488
View attachment 604489
View attachment 604490
A very nice ride indeed. This was the first day I have cycled this year when it truly felt like Summer.

sittingbull

Veteran
Not quite last @13 rider :whistle: but you reminded me to get mine done :okay:

Setting off at 8pm I was soon running on lights:eek:. No pre-ride punctures to contend with this time (it was a leaky valve last month). I didn't really have a route in mind but was setting off for Runcorn Bridge, Frodsham, Helsby and beyond.... My first detour came in Runcorn when my known route had a resurfaced road, the sort where they put the bitumen down and then pile on loads of loose gravel and instead of rolling it in they let the cars do that (or at least that's what it seemed like). It felt too deep in places so I turned off only to find myself on an Expressway with no stopping signs....oops, but fortunately it was fairly quiet. I hit Chester around 10:30pm and the pubs and clubs were heaving with punters and the sound systems were giving it loads.

After getting a little lost with a diversion in Chester (the sort of lost where you pass the same place several times), I stopped for a bite to eat outside the Countess of Chester hospital then headed for the Wirral. This is somewhere I rarely ride. I've encountered it a couple of times on the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool ride and again on the Egg Run (motorcycle charity ride). Anyhow it was a really nice area to ride with excellent road surfaces. I headed for Port Sunlight Model Village (built at the end of the 19th century for workers at the Lever factory), passing a pillbox en-route. I cruised around the village taking a few pics (sorry about the quality but it was somewhat dark), including the Leverhulme Memorial.

The journey home was fast rolling (relatively) making use of the good road surfaces, I had to return via Chester ('cos of the river blocking the direct "route". I was fortunate to hear an owl hooting and see foxes cross the road, plus a few bunnies. I returned home at 4:15am. August done ^_^

606655 606657

606658 606659

Tribansman

Veteran
Seeing this thread in alerts reminds me that I need to update my rides. I'm still in, just been remiss at logging my rides!

Been more challenging than last year for me with work and family demands and a persistent and painful neck issue...but the last 2-3 months much less windy so made long day rides more pleasant.

Well done to all still in, how many of us still going?

Trickedem

Guru
Septs done ,Leicester to the seaside , Skegness 112 miles done met big sister there and got a lift back . It seems to be a cyclist rite of passage in these parts to ride to Skeggy so that ticked off my list
I looked into riding to Skeggy as a Friday Night Ride to the Coast. Unfortunately it was a bit too far from a City and the train service coming back was abysmal.
But the ride, with a nice tail wind would have been great.

13 rider

Guru
I looked into riding to Skeggy as a Friday Night Ride to the Coast. Unfortunately it was a bit too far from a City and the train service coming back was abysmal.
But the ride, with a nice tail wind would have been great.
Yes the prevailing wind should give you a tailwind Leicester to Skegness

13 rider

Guru
Seeing this thread in alerts reminds me that I need to update my rides. I'm still in, just been remiss at logging my rides!

Been more challenging than last year for me with work and family demands and a persistent and painful neck issue...but the last 2-3 months much less windy so made long day rides more pleasant.

Well done to all still in, how many of us still going?
I make it 5 fully posted up plus yourself a d 1 rider yet to post a Sept ride

Top Bottom