The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ronstrutt

Rob S said:
Ron, you only list the first century of each month.

Spoilsport! ;)

ASC1951

Guru
But what if - purely hypothetically - last weekend's gales made the first March century so slow you didn't even want to admit to yourself how slow it was? A Personal Worst, in fact? Could you go out next weekend and do something two hours quicker and pretend that the first one had never happened? Hypothetically.

thankfully i don't time mine, especially after this months 100! i'd wondered if it was possible to post one and then re edit with a better one ,if i ever did start timing them.

OP
OP
Rob S

Rob S

ASC1951 said:
But what if - purely hypothetically - last weekend's gales made the first March century so slow you didn't even want to admit to yourself how slow it was? A Personal Worst, in fact? Could you go out next weekend and do something two hours quicker and pretend that the first one had never happened? Hypothetically.

Well....my point to Ron was because I thought he was going to start listing all his centuries like they do in the '62.14 mile ride per month challenge'.

As far as the challenge goes it's the first one of the month that counts, there's no bonus for getting the most impressive location, distance or speed.:biggrin:

redfox

ASC1951 said:

Tell me about it! My slowest audax ever yesterday. It seemed to consist entirely of gales and roads that had become impassable lakes!

I'm not going to admit my average speed, it shall forever remain a private moment of shame.

ronstrutt

ash68 said:
Just noticed your march ride 148 miles!!!!!! hats off to you mate, you must be going well. I'm pretty knackered just creeping over the 100 mile mark !!!;)

It's funny, after the 148 miles I felt relatively fit (apart from a shoulder injury that was playing up) and could have gone on for a few more miles, despite the weather being very cold.

Yesterday I did 101 miles and felt shattered afterwards, and that was on a pleasantly warm day. Mind you (or so I like to reassure myself) it didn't help that it included a journey into and out of London during the evening rush hour.

ian_oli

Über Member
My April ride had five punctures with number one within two miles of home, though I'd checked the tyres for embedded shards just before setting off. The final straw was hitting a pothole hidden by running water at speed on the road to Shere. Both wheels punctured and having got through the spare inner tubes and the first patch earlier, I found that some of my stick-on patches wer'n't sticky enough so I could not fix inner tubes for both wheels. So a walk in the dark to the pub - a good one as it turned out - and a call home for a lift.

Incidentally, found by accident - I'd gone off my planned route at that point - perhaps the best three miles of road cycling in South East England. There is a road that connects the A32 to Petersfield running through Sheet. Built like an A road, lovely smooth surface, great hairpin bended descent and virtually no traffic.

Will have a go again on nearly the same route - hopefully without the getting lost three times (did I mention that too) to get my Audax DIY 200km for the month, probably next weekend. Anyone else wanting to do a long ride welcome to join me.

ronstrutt

ian_oli said:
Incidentally, found by accident - I'd gone off my planned route at that point - perhaps the best three miles of road cycling in South East England. There is a road that connects the A32 to Petersfield running through Sheet. Built like an A road, lovely smooth surface, great hairpin bended descent and virtually no traffic.

This is the one-time Petersfield to Winchester turnpike road. Many of the old turnpikes became today's A- and B-roads but some survive purely as minor roads and still provide pretty good, fairly direct cycling routes. I regularly use one that used to run from Godalming (Busbridge) to Midhurst as a route towards Chichester or Portsmouth avoiding main roads.

Some parts of old turnpikes are now unsurfaced routes: if you look at an OS map (GR SU944320 and again between Hambledon and Chiddingfold) you can see where parts of the Godalming to Midhurst road are now just bridleways.

If you want to find some of these old routes, look them up on a historic maps site for your area (such as Old Hampshire Mapped.)

ronstrutt

Some technological advice please.

I tried updating my report while out on the road using a Windows Mobile PDA. It wasn't having any of it.

Furthermore, even when I'm on my home PC, updating an entry (as opposed to creating a new one) seems to take an age, with each character appearing on the screen in slow motion. Any thoughts anyone?

ASC1951

Guru
Spring at last! Took yesterday off and went to look at Fleet Moss, which looked in much better shape than me.

I can't help with the technological problem, ron. It took me three weeks to find out that my posts looked different in IE (my default is Firefox), so people were pointing out things that were invisible to me. Someone did put me right in the end, but try re-posting your problem as a separate subject.

jan_connett

Hi
Hope you don't mind my late posting of these rides - had rather a complicated life over the last few months....
Cheers
Jan

Top Bottom