The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
GWS @BigGee Relax get better come back stronger.

Good as time as any to announce Im having another go at the Imp. challenge this coming year. First ride planned for Jan 3d .I think 100 miles is getting further to ride these days :bicycle:(Well, for me it is.)

I'm planning to attempt the challenge again this coming year. Hopefully get my January ride done tomorrow. Not done one for ages now.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm planning to attempt the challenge again this coming year. Hopefully get my January ride done tomorrow. Not done one for ages now.

Well, I managed it. It was very blowy today and I was nackered after 60 miles, but I clung on to finish. A very slow time but at least it is done.

I can't upload my ride as the 2015 Thread is locked. @ianrauk can you unlock please :smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Don't worry, it is unlikely to last :smile:
Well done for getting the 2015 ball rolling....I'll post here rather than in that thread because this is the one for chat...

Not rubbish, very good if not out of the question for many of us. In nice weather, let alone January. Chapeau.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Set off yesterday morning to do a century plus round sunny Glouctershire and Warwickshire (January Sale Audax). Teamed up with 2 other riders all started well despite torrential rain. . A massive breakfast at rowberry cafe helped enormously but None of us were really prepared for the weather conditions and were sufferring in various ways . after about 60 miles we werent far from Leamington so altered course ,said sod it and jumped on a train .(Luckilly no other bikes on it as they only allow 3).

Warmed up and back at Tewkesbury with by then about 75 miles on the clock I was tempted to do the last 25 but A, I wanted to have a beer and natter in the pub with my fellow riders and B, didnt know if my century would count with a train journey in the middle .

0 out of 12 Completed

Hopefully get another go this month.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Set off yesterday morning to do a century plus round sunny Glouctershire and Warwickshire (January Sale Audax). Teamed up with 2 other riders all started well despite torrential rain. . A massive breakfast at rowberry cafe helped enormously but None of us were really prepared for the weather conditions and were sufferring in various ways . after about 60 miles we werent far from Leamington so altered course ,said sod it and jumped on a train .(Luckilly no other bikes on it as they only allow 3).

Warmed up and back at Tewkesbury with by then about 75 miles on the clock I was tempted to do the last 25 but A, I wanted to have a beer and natter in the pub with my fellow riders and B, didnt know if my century would count with a train journey in the middle .

Hopefully get another go this month.

Unlucky, you did better than me, my alarm went off at 5am yesterday morning for me to get up and do mine, I looked out of the window and got straight back into bed, rides in the pouring rain are for commuting only.as for as I am concerned.

Ice was the problem here; I was expecting it to warm up by the end of my group ride but it didn't until late afternoon, so I decided there weekends, I needed to fix my car bonnet catch for tomorrow anyway :ohmy:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm still in for 2015, though I aren't going to get a chance to do January until at least the 17th, if next weekend the weather is crap I will have to take a day off work to do it the following week

Banjo

Good luck @Supersuperleeds Sometimes you have to be bloody minded not to let work and life screw up your cycling plans.

I work most weekends then get weekdays off.

Looks like a break in the weather this friday so hopefully will get Jans in then.

With the strong Westerly winds a meandering head down slog to Mumbles followed by sails up and sit back on the way home looks good. One of my century rides a couple of years back was this one. Nearly jacked it in fighting into the wind but a monster breakfast at Port Talbot did the trick that time.(both ways ).

PS @ianrauk My century challenge star seems to have dissapeared, is it something I can fix or a mods job?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
HI @Banjo , drop Shaun a PM. He swapped over the hosting for the pic recently.

Good luck with Friday's ride. be good to have you back in on the challenge bud.

Banjo

Set off about 0700 into a cold wind winding my way the pretty rouite between Barry and Mumbles. bit wary of finding some ice as the ride used some back lanes and lots of cycle path., luckilly all the puddles were liquid so I relaxed and let the miles sliide by.

First fairy visit for ages then realized i only had one good spare tube. Something new to fret about until I got another spare in a bike shop in Port Talbot.

To make it the full 100 I had to meander through all the little villages and back roads on the way west.Against the wind I needed an all day breakfast at the world famous Baglan Bakery Cafe in Taibach to push on into Swansea and out onto the Mumbles road.

Lucky with the weather. Cold at first but soon had my windproof jammed in my jersey pocket and enjoying riding under a blue sky.

Only averaged 12.2 rolling speed but lots of the route was on small lanes and Cycle paths. Coming back I mostly stuck to the main roads and with the wind on my back felt great..

1 Out of 12 complete :becool:

Top Bottom