The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Actually, we're OK. He said we (the population) are allowed
"One form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household".
Alone, no buddying up. And don't go for a run afterwards, eh?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I don't think that we are to be honest. The latest guidance reads as follows:
Cabinet Office said:
1. Staying at home

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons:

• Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

These four reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

These measures must be followed by everyone. Separate advice is available for individuals or households who are isolating, and for the most vulnerable who need to be shielded.

If you work in a critical sector outlined in this guidance, or your child has been identified as vulnerable, you can continue to take your children to school. Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents’

Even though Gove is reported this morning as saying that you should do your standard length of exercise, I suspect that what Government considers a "standard length of exercise" probably isn't even as much as my usual 25-35 mile rides. I don't particularly want to emulate the people at the weekend who interpreted "You are allowed to do solitary exercise" as "You may drive 100+ miles into Wales and visit all the tourist hotspots".

I'm going to keep optimistic and stay in the challenge in the hope that the situation improves. If a qualifying ride for April can't be done then so be it.

Edit:
since posting this earlier today I notice that the BBC article I linked to has been updated and Gove's comment removed. Minimal exercise it is then.:sad:

Last edited:

rb58

Enigma
I don't think that we are to be honest. The latest guidance reads as follows:

Even though Gove is reported this morning as saying that you should do your standard length of exercise, I suspect that what Government considers a "standard length of exercise" probably isn't even as much as my usual 25-35 mile rides. I don't particularly want to emulate the people at the weekend who interpreted "You are allowed to do solitary exercise" as "You may drive 100+ miles into Wales and visit all the tourist hotspots".

I'm going to keep optimistic and stay in the challenge in the hope that the situation improves. If a qualifying ride for April can't be done then so be it.
Unfortunately I agree with you. I don't think being out all day on the bike is adhering to the spirit of the guidance. I'm going to be limiting myself to utility cycling and a one hour 'fresh air' ride every couple of days, hopefully in the company of Mrs rb58, until things improve. I have until the end of April to get the next qualifier in, but if it doesn't happen I'll be disappointed, but will get over it.

13 rider

Guru
The bit that says minimizing time spent outdoors does sort of rule out 100 mile rides . If the lockdown lasts just the 3 weeks we will have 2 weekends to get a ride in . If as I fear the lockdown lasts longer can I suggest everyone gets a bye for April and we reassess in May, just my thoughts

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just listened to BoJo telling us all to stay at home. Not looking good is it.
1 ride a day allowed at present, but Im not sure 100+ miles is really acceptable. I'll judge the mood/situation next month. I'm off on 2nd April so may have an early opportunity??

StuAff

For the avoidance of doubt, when reading the rest of this: My mum is approaching her 79th birthday. In good health, but… If I get infected, the likelihood is she will. I will not do anything whatsoever to risk my own health from this thing, let alone hers.

There are many inherent contradictions in current government policy- not surprising as they're making it up as they go along, but nonetheless they make too little room for some aspects of life, and too much latitude in others. As an RM employee, I've been designated as a key worker. So my need to go to a workplace, and work there, is tolerated, perhaps even applauded. Working from home would be impossible. But apparently I don't need to be fed at the workplace, as the canteen should legally be closed. Workplace canteens were specifically mentioned in the legislation that was implemented as of Monday. No exemptions for 'key workers'. There is nowhere to buy food in the vicinity of the sorting office. Thanks Boris. And I'm reasonably sure I am at more danger on the sorting office floor (350, well it was 350 before they started dropping like flies, colleagues between the three shifts, social distancing often difficult if not impossible) than in the canteen.

Now, to the exercise in question. Portsmouth is (relatively speaking) a virus hotspot. If I go down to the seafront, say, there might be more people out and about, so I'm more not less likely to encounter a virus carrier (the risks of transmission might well be minimal to non-existent, but....) So, I don't really want to go anywhere near people. If it's countryside, that's four or five miles north or east. Plenty of nice quiet roads. Might even find them very near me in the city, and just go back and forth along the same streets fifty times. But how much time can I spend on these roads? If I dare to spend, say, eight hours, out, and ride, say, one hundred miles, that, according to some, makes me A Bad Person. No matter where, or how, I ride. Even though no time or distance was mentioned in the speech or available documentation. I have no doubt there will be people waiting to (metaphorically) foam at the mouth if they find out about this irresponsible behaviour. I could quite easily go all day without even being in transmission distance of a single person, let alone a carrier. Perhaps not even see a single pedestrian or cyclist all day. Go nowhere I can't walk back from if I get a mechanical, so no risk of public transport (if trains are even running). Take no risks with touching anything other than my bike and food and drink I've brought along. But this is irresponsible and dangerous. Whereas, going to work and sharing space with hundreds of potential virus carriers is important and worthwhile. Far more likely to infect me with Covid-19 than a frivolous, unnecessary, irresponsible bike ride. Even a long one…

So: My suggestion. Either we call a halt to the challenge, and perhaps give ourselves credit for the months' rides in hand for next year- the restrictions, I have no doubt, will be extended- or, say 'until and unless we're actually banned from riding, carry on if you so wish (those choosing to stop get three or four months free for next year, if they want them). But be very, very, careful'.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Like everyone else I'm sure, I've watched the developments of the last few weeks with mounting horror. Today was to have been the start of a short but perfectly formed mini-break in France - with my wife this time, no bikes. Round about now also, my youngest daughter would have been flying out to Bologna - not in the high-risk zone three weeks ago, and at that time she was still preparing to go.

Just a week ago, when Audax UK announced suspension of all rides, calendar, permanent and DiY, I was a little surprised. Now these things seem like matters of vanishing triviality.

Remarkably however, I might need to do a 100-miler in the early days of April. No need to elaborate, but it would definitely be a necessary journey. If it happens, I certainly won't be happily announcing "April done!" in the usual style; maybe, if it feels appropriate, a low-key entry in Your ride today....

My feeling is that we should regard the challenge as effectively suspended. But if anyone due to their own circumstances finds it both possible and appropriate to accumulate the 12 rides I'll be delighted to see them display a star.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I got lost guv...honest guv..ended up bloody 50 miles away guv. Rushing off straight back home now guv.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wow, I can't believe it's only 10 days since I crashed and thought that would be the reason for the end of my challenge. So much has changed in that short time.

I've patched up my bike so it can go on the turbo, my injuries matured into spectacularly multicoloured bruises that are now fading, and I think I'll be an indoors only cyclist for a while now.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
For the avoidance of doubt, when reading the rest of this: My mum is approaching her 79th birthday. In good health, but… If I get infected, the likelihood is she will. I will not do anything whatsoever to risk my own health from this thing, let alone hers.

There are many inherent contradictions in current government policy- not surprising as they're making it up as they go along, but nonetheless they make too little room for some aspects of life, and too much latitude in others. As an RM employee, I've been designated as a key worker. So my need to go to a workplace, and work there, is tolerated, perhaps even applauded. Working from home would be impossible. But apparently I don't need to be fed at the workplace, as the canteen should legally be closed. Workplace canteens were specifically mentioned in the legislation that was implemented as of Monday. No exemptions for 'key workers'. There is nowhere to buy food in the vicinity of the sorting office. Thanks Boris. And I'm reasonably sure I am at more danger on the sorting office floor (350, well it was 350 before they started dropping like flies, colleagues between the three shifts, social distancing often difficult if not impossible) than in the canteen.

Now, to the exercise in question. Portsmouth is (relatively speaking) a virus hotspot. If I go down to the seafront, say, there might be more people out and about, so I'm more not less likely to encounter a virus carrier (the risks of transmission might well be minimal to non-existent, but....) So, I don't really want to go anywhere near people. If it's countryside, that's four or five miles north or east. Plenty of nice quiet roads. Might even find them very near me in the city, and just go back and forth along the same streets fifty times. But how much time can I spend on these roads? If I dare to spend, say, eight hours, out, and ride, say, one hundred miles, that, according to some, makes me A Bad Person. No matter where, or how, I ride. Even though no time or distance was mentioned in the speech or available documentation. I have no doubt there will be people waiting to (metaphorically) foam at the mouth if they find out about this irresponsible behaviour. I could quite easily go all day without even being in transmission distance of a single person, let alone a carrier. Perhaps not even see a single pedestrian or cyclist all day. Go nowhere I can't walk back from if I get a mechanical, so no risk of public transport (if trains are even running). Take no risks with touching anything other than my bike and food and drink I've brought along. But this is irresponsible and dangerous. Whereas, going to work and sharing space with hundreds of potential virus carriers is important and worthwhile. Far more likely to infect me with Covid-19 than a frivolous, unnecessary, irresponsible bike ride. Even a long one…

So: My suggestion. Either we call a halt to the challenge, and perhaps give ourselves credit for the months' rides in hand for next year- the restrictions, I have no doubt, will be extended- or, say 'until and unless we're actually banned from riding, carry on if you so wish (those choosing to stop get three or four months free for next year, if they want them). But be very, very, careful'.
Firstly I'd like to say that my post was not intended to be a criticism of you and if that's the way that it came across I apologise unreservedly.

Your role is much appreciated for bringing one of the few senses of normality we have left at the moment. The fact you're a key worker but they've removed the canteen facilities is pretty shabby - I'd have thought it would not be beyond the wit of man for your management to have come up with some kind of alternative arrangement.:dry:

You are absolutely right in what you've said about the government making it up as they go and giving out mixed messages. I see the BBC have Gove's comment about "standard exercise" back on their website:
BBC News said:
The current government guidance is to take "one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk or cycle - alone or with members of your household".
No mention is given to the length of exercise, although Cabinet Minister Michael Gove said on Tuesday that "people can go for the standard length of run or walk that they ordinarily would have done. But… the important thing is, once a day".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409
and since it is there and the government haven't issued a contradiction I think I shall take him at his word.

April is still a few days away so we'll have to see how things pan out. If the restrictions don't get any tighter I have an idea for a route that wouldn't go too far from home and would stay in quiet areas.

StuAff

Firstly I'd like to say that my post was not intended to be a criticism of you and if that's the way that it came across I apologise unreservedly.
No problem, didn't take it like that! The canteen is open, as it happens, but (a) operating as a takeaway, so everything they hand over is disposable, though (b) staff shortages mean extremely restricted service hours. So I'm bringing a thermos in, and sticking with eating at home just in case The Rules decide that little loophole should be closed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Your role is much appreciated for bringing one of the few senses of normality we have left at the moment. The fact you're a key worker but they've removed the canteen facilities is pretty shabby - I'd have thought it would not be beyond the wit of man for your management to have come up with some kind of alternative arrangement.:dry:

You are absolutely right in what you've said about the government making it up as they go and giving out mixed messages. I see the BBC have Gove's comment about "standard exercise" back on their website:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409
and since it is there and the government haven't issued a contradiction I think I shall take him at his word.

April is still a few days away so we'll have to see how things pan out. If the restrictions don't get any tighter I have an idea for a route that wouldn't go too far from home and would stay in quiet areas.

The line about what you would have ordinarily done puts a different complexion on it.

Like many others, I formed the impression the original restrictions, as put over by Boris, suggested a brief burst of exercise locally.

A challenge ride for the challenge participants fits squarely into what they normally do.

I do 100 mile rides may be once or twice a season.

For me to arrange one in the next few weeks would be a breach of the restrictions.

There's always an argument.

Someone who only does a 100 mile ride once a year, but always on the same date, would be in a slightly stronger position.

Although i that instance, it wouldn't be the rider's 'standard length' of exercise mentioned by Gove.

Top Bottom