The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Got mine done yesterday. If I'm honest it felt a bit of a chore at first. However once I got going and it warmed up I felt fine. I stopped at just shy of 50 miles for a coffee and something to eat and this powered me through the rest of the ride. The hills felt tough and the average was slow, but hopefully that is the toughest 2 rides of the year ticked off.

13 rider

Guru
Febs done . 3 weeks ago I tweaked a muscle in my back which resulted in 10 days off the bike . My back has massively improved but is not 100% but I wasn't exactly looking forward to today's ride . Took my Defy as it has a less aggressive position than my TCR. Heading out to Market Bosworth 10 miles from home then completed 4 loops around the area and home for the grand total of 100.27 miles . Picked this route as it's a flat as possible 2800ft of upness .My back was fine while I spun along but really struggled to put power through the pedals . Sitting on the sofa now resting an achy back

Tribansman

Veteran
Febs done . 3 weeks ago I tweaked a muscle in my back which resulted in 10 days off the bike . My back has massively improved but is not 100% but I wasn't exactly looking forward to today's ride . Took my Defy as it has a less aggressive position than my TCR. Heading out to Market Bosworth 10 miles from home then completed 4 loops around the area and home for the grand total of 100.27 miles . Picked this route as it's a flat as possible 2800ft of upness .My back was fine while I spun along but really struggled to put power through the pedals . Sitting on the sofa now resting an achy back
Great effort in the circumstances. The motivational power of a challenge eh?! I've been having issues with my neck all year, which has meant the two I've done so far have been a real chore rather than enjoyable, esp as it was freezing too. Doubt i'd've finished them if I wasn't in this challenge / wanted to keep up with ridiculous personal target around my Eddington number.

Am planning another local century on Saturday, just to test out if it's any better over a long ride. If not, may have to think about seeing a physio and/or bike fit although god knows when that will be.

The main enjoyment I'm getting from cycling at the moment is the (super low intensity) spins with my 7 year old, although he's noticeably upped his pace since last year!

sittingbull

Veteran
March done ^_^ ....... but it was tough, very tough. I headed for Delamere. On the way I crossed the newly refurbished Runcorn Bridge and had my own cycle lane. This was my first real climbing since a few rides last summer. By 40 miles my legs were pretty much "gone". This wasn't helped when every time I stood up to stomp on the pedals my new chain was slipping on the 4 smallest cogs. Totally my own fault for not going on a short test ride first :rolleyes:

It was pretty much a grey overcast day but despite a dry forecast I got caught in some heavy showers requiring the use of a bus shelter then a bridge for shelter. At 60 miles I was nearing home and considered bailing but struggled on to 80 when I got my second wind. Overall it wasn't fast, it wasn't pretty, but the sense of achievement on finishing was all the greater for it :smile:

577073 577076

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got my March ride done today. Had to use my last lieu day at work before the end of the month, so booked today off & it was ideal conditions, a little chilly early on, but by lunch time I was well over dressed :blush: Big breakfast before I set off & then managed on a couple of cereal bars & 2 bidons so no need to call at home, but boy was i hungry once I did get home :laugh: I ventured a little further afield today, but never more than 20-25 miles from home & 3200ft is about as much climbing as i can get in without going further afield :okay:

Trickedem

Guru
Got my March century done on Sunday. Fairly cold day, but nice and dry. I managed to get another 9 veloviewer tiles along the way. The lack of regular riding has definitely taken its toll. I really felt it on the last 25 miles, particularly as there was a nasty headwind. Stopped in Lenham for a coffee, and got chatting to a couple who had been out walking. Turns out that he is a member of the Fridays and we had of course met in the middle of the night on a ride!
1616541730795.png

Trickedem

Guru
Got out yesterday after taking a day's leave. I decided to celebrate my new found freedom, by doing some new roads and riding to Ashford then getting the train back. What a pleasant day it was too. Bit cold to start but warmed up by the time I stopped in Groombridge for lunch. I sat on a park bench and for the first ride in months felt comfortably warm sitting outside. All the climbing 5900ft was mainly in the first 60 miles and then I had a nasty cold headwind for most of the second half. However, it really makes a difference to be able to ride somewhere new and I am gradually ticking off my plan to do all the veloviewer tiles in Kent. I even got to do a bit of gravel riding on my Trek Domane road bike!

1617358913868.png

1617359023725.png

1617359186551.png

sittingbull

Veteran
April completed :smile: Having lost my mojo a bit meant I hadn't ridden this month, so I set a comfortable pace and enjoyed the sunshine 🌞 I headed out to Macclesfield but stopped short of the Cat & Fiddle climb. There was a headwind on the way out but it pushed me home ^_^ I still get a buzz from watching 99.99 rollover to 100.00 on the Garmin no matter how many times I see it. :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
May's ride done and dusted
Out the door nice & early at 6.45am for a very nice Kent pootle. I wanted to be home before the predicted storm hit. I managed that, but for the last hour the wind picked up, becoming very blustery, which made for tough cycling at times.
But a great days cycling nevertheless. May's Imperial Century ride done and dusted.
Imperial century #7 for the year, #295 over all & Imperial month 126 in a row

untitled-jpg.jpg

20210503_102255-jpg.jpg

Poor little Mervyn, only 3 days old.

20210503_112210-jpg.jpg

20210503_112521-jpg.jpg

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got mine done today. I'm off work this week & was hoping for some nice weather & today's forecast was about as good as it got :blush: Gentle headwind all the way out, small hail storm around mid ride, got a touch chilly at lunch stop & last 20 miles home into wind again 👍
Today was also the ride that took my Eddington number to 100 :okay:

Top Bottom