The Joy of Cycling

Which of these things BEST describes, for you, the joy of cycling? You can only choose one.

• It's an aesthetic thing. My bike is beautiful and I look like a god when I ride it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a narrative thing. The ride tells a story.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I went for the ''places it takes me'' option but nearly all apply. Possibly, it's the aesthetics choice which is lowest on my list. I can't help it if the gods take after me.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I like the sense of achievement you get from completing the organised events. Thats the same reason I'm into running at the moment!

Never really link cycling with fitness, I have football, running and the gym for that...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The joy of cycling.jpg

Linford

2040756 said:
It's a fine choice. Why do you always want people to beat you?

Because these are things which have been said before when I've expressed these views. Some people damn you when you do, and want to damn you when you don't....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Utilitarian for me. Anything else is a bonus.

I get as much pleasure out of a 5-mile commute as I do out of a longer ride, and as an anti-social anti-body-fascist introvert none of the others really applies...

Except that next time it'll be different.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
how about, i can't drive option? im sure im not the only one.

You ain't the only one, but for me it's the other way about.

It's because I ride that I can't drive.

I tarted to save money, then because it was getting me fitter, now because I just love cycling.
When I am on my bie I feel free from the daily hassle and very much do when not on the commute.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Difficult choice as others have said ... finally picked the first one ... It's a sensual thing. It's about the connection between my body, the bike and the elements.
I do love the feeling of almost gliding along (the flat:laugh:), sun on my face, legs turning smoothly, gentle breeze on my face as it lifts my hair (no not blows in my face on a really windy day), and looking around me to see, hear, meet, smile at the world passing me by.

(It's not always that way - sometimes there is a hill, but I'm frequently surprised at the simple joy of getting on the bike and the legs going around.)

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Difficult choice as others have said ... finally picked the first one ... It's a sensual thing. It's about the connection between my body, the bike and the elements.
I do love the feeling of almost gliding along (the flat:laugh:), sun on my face, legs turning smoothly, gentle breeze on my face as it lifts my hair (no not blows in my face on a really windy day), and looking around me to see, hear, meet, smile at the world passing me by.

(It's not always that way - sometimes there is a hill, but I'm frequently surprised at the simple joy of getting on the bike and the legs going around.)

See, I never thought of it as a sensual thing at all but when I was riding home at midnight the other night I realised just how silent my road bike is and loved that almost as much as I love the loud ticking noise of my hybrid. Is it the freewheel that causes it?

Anyway, I chose the liberation option as I love not being held to ransom by public transport's daft timetables and extortionate prices. I do have an annual zone 2-3 oyster card but probably won't renew it for next year and aim to cycle everywhere as much as possible. I'm still bitter about failing my driving test twice until I hear other people bitch and moan about the cost of petrol and how their cars are moneypits and then I get to feel a bit smug with myself :cycle:

Top Bottom