The Joy of Cycling

Which of these things BEST describes, for you, the joy of cycling? You can only choose one.

• It's an aesthetic thing. My bike is beautiful and I look like a god when I ride it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a narrative thing. The ride tells a story.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely idea for a thread... But I fear I must decline all suggested answers.

Like Sex or Bread & Butter Pudding or many other of the finer things in life, cycling loses something of its essence as soon as we try to encapsulate it.

Didn't Hemingway once say that a woman is only a woman, but a good bicycle is a ride.

If he didn't, he might have.

And I think that's the point.

D

Deleted member 20519

It's an escape thing. Just me and the bike on a country road, it's amazing where your legs can take you.

potsy

Rambler
Close one for me between ' It's about the places it takes me. The people, the landscape, the sounds and smell' and the ' It's a fitness thing. It's good for body and mind'
Got into cycling quite late compared to most on here, initially to lose weight and get fitter, never expected to be off cycling at weekends with strangers off of the internet :unsure: but really enjoy it.
In the end the fitness just won as 90% of my cycling is commuting as a way to get some exercise :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
All of the above.
I just love cycling - everything about it, and all of my bikes.

This would be my reply..and would also like to add - The camaraderie and friendships that cycling has given me.

Gaz Vickers

Initially a fitness thing......However once cycling gets a hold of you it quickly becomes an overall enjoyable passtime! Leading to social connections. I'm only 2 weeks into cycling but already can't wait for more.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I would have chosen 7 options if I were able. Why couldn't you let us choose more than one, TC???

In the end, and thinking about all the night rides I do... the thrum of the tyres on the asphalt, the road stretching away into the darkness, the stars above, an awesome stillness that I'm a part of... well, it had to the first one. (And you get all that plus the camaraderie on a FNRttC!)

mangaman

Nice thread :smile:

Tricky though to decide. I went for the more utilitarian answer about the places it takes me.

But the more philosophical and aesthetic side and the technical beauty and simplicity of the bike would be high up there.

I remember watching the Rennes TT in the tour a few years back in a quiet part of the course with no-one around and seeing something moving so fast without making any noise was quite surreal

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I would have chosen 7 options if I were able. Why couldn't you let us choose more than one, TC???

In the end, and thinking about all the night rides I do... the thrum of the tyres on the asphalt, the road stretching away into the darkness, the stars above, an awesome stillness that I'm a part of... well, it had to the first one. (And you get all that plus the camaraderie on a FNRttC!)

Because I'm a right meanie.

Or because I thought it might oblige people to think about it for a bit longer and elaborate, expound or what-have-you.

Top Bottom