The Lego Thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Toward the back end of lockdown I treated myself to this one though: https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/nasa-apollo-11-lunar-lander-10266, and a custom display case.
It's a lovely one. Mine is below. Much to my surprise I have managed to get away with filling up the bookshelf in the lounge with Lego. We have the ISS on the top, then the lander. Saturn 5 is next to the unit for obvious reasons. Next is my daughters Harry Potter Chess set. An origami paper flower bouquet made by the other daughter. Then we have the Quik-E Mart and the Simpsons House. Just out of shot is the Carousel (you can see the motor).

PXL_20231114_125257940.MP.jpg

In my "office" I have the smaller Millenium Falcon, the old F1 Technic Car, another large car that I'm not that fond of, a skip lorry, a sailing yacht, the lego spaceship from the lego movie (one of my favourite kits) the Flintstones and Ghostbusters amongst others. In my big cupboard I have my Technics Mindstorms waiting once again to be built into a robot...

Johnno260

Veteran
Yes managed to get my hands on a Saturn V via Vinted.

IMG_6868.jpeg

dicko

Guru
In 1959 my brother was given a Lego set for Christmas, the very first set, I received my first bicycle. We both had fun building things with this new media. Previously in 1952 I was given a Bayko building set to build houses and bungalows with using wire sticks pressed into a plastic base then brick section inserted see photo. Lego was so much better.

Attachments

• IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Dadam

I hate adult toy collectors! :cursing: Well, not really, I just wanted to rant.😩
I'm totally fine with adults buying them and building them (as per this thread) but keeping them sealed to increase in value is just speculation and in general causes a lot of trouble (e.g my kids being unlikely to ever own their own home, until we pop off) but hey, as long as it makes more money for people with money that's totally fine...

And to the point. Autistic son who is Star Wars and Lego mad gave us his Christmas list and there are two sets on there. Both it seems are discontinued and prices for new sealed ones are silly.

75171 Battle of Scarif and 75190 First Order Stardestroyer. The battle set looks like a generic 30 quid play set to me, not really a model for display. But must have been rare as it seems to be going for around 100 quid used!

The Stardestroyer looks like a great model for him but again, "retired" and north of 100 quid for used built models without box. Sealed ones seem to be 300 or so.

We've bought him the 75356 Executor, which is a "collectible display model" but the only Stardestroyer lego model at a reasonable price. I end up building the more complex sets anyway so that's no issue. He's fine with smaller sets, and his dexterity is good, it's just the attention span to build a bigger kit. I'm slightly concerned that once I build it for him I'll want one for myself to put on the shelf.

How do I explain to 11yo with autism that the reason Santa didn't bring what he asked for is commodity speculation? I know, first world problems etc, there are kids in this country without a bed.

icowden

Veteran
75171 Battle of Scarif and 75190 First Order Stardestroyer. The battle set looks like a generic 30 quid play set to me, not really a model for display. But must have been rare as it seems to be going for around 100 quid used!

The Stardestroyer looks like a great model for him but again, "retired" and north of 100 quid for used built models without box. Sealed ones seem to be 300 or so.

One way around this is to download the instructions from the Lego website then input the bricks into rebrickable or similar. That will give you the cost of buying the bricks to build it. If he has sets he doesn't like, you can add those to reduce the number of bricks you need to buy vs cannibalise.

Dadam

One way around this is to download the instructions from the Lego website then input the bricks into rebrickable or similar. That will give you the cost of buying the bricks to build it. If he has sets he doesn't like, you can add those to reduce the number of bricks you need to buy vs cannibalise.

To be fair its quite likely he’s got >90% of them. He’s got soooo much Lego! Quite a few kits he’s dismantled and reused like the TIE fighter (so a lot of grey bricks). It crossed my mind, we could do that but it would be so time consuming to sort through all the bricks.

icowden

Veteran
To be fair its quite likely he’s got >90% of them. He’s got soooo much Lego! Quite a few kits he’s dismantled and reused like the TIE fighter (so a lot of grey bricks). It crossed my mind, we could do that but it would be so time consuming to sort through all the bricks.
It would. With rebrickable you can just feed in the set numbers and it then knows what bricks you have. It will then calculate the cost of buying any missing bricks for the model you want to make.

Johnno260

Veteran
I hate adult toy collectors! :cursing: Well, not really, I just wanted to rant.😩
I'm totally fine with adults buying them and building them (as per this thread) but keeping them sealed to increase in value is just speculation and in general causes a lot of trouble (e.g my kids being unlikely to ever own their own home, until we pop off) but hey, as long as it makes more money for people with money that's totally fine...

And to the point. Autistic son who is Star Wars and Lego mad gave us his Christmas list and there are two sets on there. Both it seems are discontinued and prices for new sealed ones are silly.

We've bought him the 75356 Executor, which is a "collectible display model" but the only Stardestroyer lego model at a reasonable price. I end up building the more complex sets anyway so that's no issue. He's fine with smaller sets, and his dexterity is good, it's just the attention span to build a bigger kit. I'm slightly concerned that once I build it for him I'll want one for myself to put on the shelf.

How do I explain to 11yo with autism that the reason Santa didn't bring what he asked for is commodity speculation? I know, first world problems etc, there are kids in this country without a bed.

Check Vinted that’s how I got the Lego Saturn at a reasonable price, also Facebook market place frequently has new unwanted sets.

Dadam

Reading through this thread again, I've started hankering to buy and build a big technic vehicle kit (for me not the lad!) and love the look of that Defender kit. Unfortunately this one is now retired too. £270 on Amazon which I think is a bit over what I'd be prepared to pay given it's been as low as £95 a couple of years ago.

I'm very tempted by this Ford GT kit though, 90 at amazon.
Also wondering about this knock off of the Defender kit on ebay.

Top Bottom