The More Cash Than Brains Track Bike The Worx WX-R Vorteq $39,000 ? :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
For sure! :smile: the problem is while the bike manufacturers can still sell and increase their sales,then they will keep selling to the public regardless! :sad:
That would be because it is stronger, lighter, cheaper, easier to form than the alternatives. Improving on something that is already superior is a win win.
Don't get me wrong we all like a classic steel frame, but overall it is inferior. It is called progress. It is why the human race has moved on from flint knives.

vickster

Legendary Member
Did your wife leave you for a carbon bike, hence your ire? :ph34r:

OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

That would be because it is stronger, lighter, cheaper, easier to form than the alternatives. Improving on something that is already superior is a win win.
Don't get me wrong we all like a classic steel frame, but overall it is inferior. It is called progress. It is why the human race has moved on from flint knives.

It's always funny when the Carbon Sales people login :smile: No! progress has been made with Carbon! it is a reverse in something that was sound! some Cyclists have had Steel bikes & components for 50+ years without a failure,show me one Carbon Cyclist with the same reliability ?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
For sure! :smile: the problem is while the bike manufacturers can still sell and increase their sales,then they will keep selling to the public regardless! :sad:

CF is not new , weird or or scary . Aeroplanes , cars, motorbikes , fishing tackle, yachts et al have been built successfully and safely using CF for decades . So please tell me why a bike frame is considerably more complex than all the above and so cannot be built safely ?

If you'd like to use Google Scholar , which only returns peer reviewed papers, to source your supporting evidence then I will have full confidence in your own findings and will change my purchasing decisions.

It's always funny when the Carbon Sales people login :smile: No! progress has been made with Carbon! it is a reverse in something that was sound! some Cyclists have had Steel bikes & components for 50+ years without a failure,show me one Carbon Cyclist with the same reliability ?

Jesus. I've told you. My lovely chromed steel bike corroded through from the inside. And it was my summer bike.

I've since had three CF bikes with no issues.

I'm sure you don't even believe what you're saying - you're clearly just trolling.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Carbon fibre is good enough for Eddy Merckx, and to put his name to frames built from/using it.
Under the control of Big Carbon, clearly

Hacienda71

Whilst we can't show what you are asking as carbon frames weren't used in the 60/70's here is some anecdotal bollox.
I have a 1980's steel framed Carlton Super Course lightweight groupset, Campag hubs and Mavic rims, lovely pearlesent white. It rides well really smooth and compliant, it is reasonably quick. I am a bit worried at it's age the forks may be internally corroded and could snap if I hit a pothole, unfortunately the aluminium quill stem has seized in the fork tube (common problem with steel framed bikes due to metal corrosion:whistle:) so I can't check. I did have a Ribble aluminium framed road bike but the weld around the BB failed under load, so I had to bin it. My carbon aero framed bike with SRAM groupset and a choice of either 50mm carbon wheels for the flat or shallow rims for the hills is faster and 2.5 kg lighter. Not a little faster, a lot faster than my Carlton ( I have run them both repeatedly over the same stretch of road). I have raced it, tt'd it, hill climbed on it. At the moment it has clocked up 50,000 km My previous carbon frame did 10's of thousands of km as well. It never failed I just fancied a change. I don't sell carbon frames, I have no connection to the cycle industry. I did once sell a shop to a guy who cycled. Not sure if that is a conflict of interest. You can make up your own mind on that. As a chartered surveyor I do sell shops sometimes though.
Have you noticed on a cycle forum with literally thousands of members and millions of posts though that there aren't loads of threads about how my carbon bike exploded? Surely a public forum would be inundated with people calling out the industry? Have you ever owned a carbon bike or even ridden one? Or are you simply trolling.....

OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

CF is not new , weird or or scary . Aeroplanes , cars, motorbikes , fishing tackle, yachts et al have been built successfully and safely using CF for decades . So please tell me why a bike frame is considerably more complex than all the above and so cannot be built safely ?

If you'd like to use Google Scholar , which only returns peer reviewed papers, to source your supporting evidence then I will have full confidence in your own findings and will change my purchasing decisions.

Planes
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12951-composite-aircraft-may-hide-dangerous-flaws/

Cars
https://carbonfibermonocoque.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/crash-safety-of-lightweight-cars/

Fishing tackle
http://www.easycomposites.cn/downloads/TDS/EC-TDS-Fishing-Pole-Repair-Kit.pdf

Yachts
https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...lhan/14c01263dab72b5015c2da2fc8cb74104f1c1f3c

Hacienda71

AB, you're starting to sound rather silly now 😊
I quite like the fact he keeps posting links showing how strong carbon fibre is compared to other materials and the massive strain required for it to fail. It is almost as if he is struggling to find links to justify his argument, or hasn't read what he is posting or simply doesn't understand it. Tinfoil hat brigade. ^_^

Top Bottom