The motivation is low for cycling at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Its that time of year were i really struggle to get out on the bike.
The cold weather, not feeling 100% with the dreaded lurgy and dark evenings after work all add up, to not cycling as much as i should.
I can feel my jeans getting tighter around the waist as my bike rides have taken a hit lol.
Really looking forward and can't wait for the weather to change for the better and for the clocks to change again. I still see plenty of die hard cyclists out though in all weather's
battling against the elements.
The next few weeks ive really got to reboot my mindset and get back into a routine again with my cycling before my six chins and five bellies return :=))))))

OTOH it is not much fun cycling into a hot northerly when it is 40C.

Mike in Melbourne OZ

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That would kill me off Mike in all honesty.
Temperatures of around 15 to 20 degrees are the best 👍

Last edited:
I wasn't sure health would allow me to get out much last year. Fortunately it was and I used it too fight off things. Anyway I invested in a Smart trainers them and something like Zwift was going to keep my motivation up. I'm using RGTcycling now for training as its cheaper and the course version is free. That could maybe be an option for you?

Slick

Guru
I had a pretty productive December, crunching in a few commute rides and taking advantage of the very mild weather but since the bells, I've been really struggling and yet to clock up my first mile of the year, so I feel your pain.

My plan is not to force to though. The forecast is horrendous for the rest of the week so nothing is going to change anytime soon.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Its that time of year were i really struggle to get out on the bike.
The cold weather, not feeling 100% with the dreaded lurgy and dark evenings after work all add up, to not cycling as much as i should.
I can feel my jeans getting tighter around the waist as my bike rides have taken a hit lol.
Really looking forward and can't wait for the weather to change for the better and for the clocks to change again. I still see plenty of die hard cyclists out though in all weather's
battling against the elements.
The next few weeks ive really got to reboot my mindset and get back into a routine again with my cycling before my six chins and five bellies return :=))))))
Signing up to an event can make a huge difference to my levels of motivation. It gives me a fitness target and reason to train (even at night).

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Your right, The weather looks pretty horrendous for tomorrow. Its a big "if" but starting from tomorrow im going to get a few miles in after work. All depends on the weather of course but it's its a shame to lose my fitness I've gained over the last 12 months just because of low motivation

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I really struggle in January and February. For the last 3 or 4 years, I have set myself a target of time. Equivalent of half an hour a day - it gives me wiggle room on wet days when I am not going out in it. I don't get ever so stressed if I don't make the target, it just gives me something to aim at. I find it just gives me that little bit of motivation.

Sharky

Guru
I'm quite motivated at the moment. This time of year is always a fresh start for me with the first of the 10's starting in March beckoning me.

And here in kent, the weather is surprisingly mild. Other years we get hit by snow and bad weather during Jan and Feb and by the time I get to march usually unprepared. This year I am quite optimistic, plus I've not fallen off my bike for a while and not broken any bones for a couple of years!

Nebulous

Guru
The biggest step is getting out of the house, with a bike ready to go.

I'm also feeling quite motivated. I cruised a bit at the end of last year, ate too much.over the festive season, but ramped it up between Christmas and New Year.

I'm not a fan of rain and it has been drier this year so far than it was at the end of last year, which helps. I sit and wonder whether I can be bothered, but once I'm out there I'm glad I went.

Top Bottom