The motivation is low for cycling at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Clubs aren't for me either.

Firstly, I'm far too slow - even if they say it's a "no drop" ride, I don't think other members would appreciate either having to wait or having to ride at a slower pace to what they're used to. Secondly, most rides are on a weekend, and those are usually put aside for cat shows and motor racing. Thirdly, I tend to ride when I can make the time, and for however long a time I've managed to make - I like not having to depend on the timings of other people, and I go out whenever.

Sharky

Guru
Clubs aren't for me either.

Firstly, I'm far too slow - even if they say it's a "no drop" ride, I don't think other members would appreciate either having to wait or having to ride at a slower pace to what they're used to. Secondly, most rides are on a weekend, and those are usually put aside for cat shows and motor racing. Thirdly, I tend to ride when I can make the time, and for however long a time I've managed to make - I like not having to depend on the timings of other people, and I go out whenever.
That description almost applies to me, apart from the cats and motor racing, even though we live within earshot of Brandshatch. I too am old, 70 next month and club runs are too fast for me now., but there are one or two organised rides thru the year that I join in with. Plus I still turn out for the club 10's thru the summer. It is the latter really that keeps me motivated, each year trying to beat my age standard. Most of my riding now are solo rides, but keeping in touch with club mates, even if its on WhatsApp keeps me motivated.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Clubs do weird things.

The rides get faster the further you go. The opposite of the way speed works as you go up the distance in any physical activity.

Clubs don’t cater for longer rides at a moderate pace.

Drago

Legendary Member
Went out today, and despite my best efforts at dodging the weather my checking the met office app ever 2 minutes I still got caught. Blustery head wind so strong my average was down from 17ish to 11mph, and about 2 miles from home got caught in a downpour so heavy I was having difficulty seeing to ride, and arrived home so wet I would be drier sat fully clothed in the bath.

I loved every minute of it! Sure, it was annoying, it was uncomfortable, but it was also fun in it's own way and being the annoyingly, painfully, stupidly bloody minded chap that I am once mother nature laid down the gauntlet there was no way i could refuse the challenge. And mother nature lost.

CharlesF

Guru
After coming off on black ice one January, I don’t cycle in January or February.

But this year that is enforced by the surgeon, so of course I am desperate to ride.

Instead I am spending hours looking at wheels to convince myself an upgrade is better than a new Cannondale Topstone 105. Strange how the mind works.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I’ve never been motivated to join a club. Riding with a group on a preset route to a timetable isn’t for me (or probably quite a few recreational riders of either sex)
I'm much the same. Not really interested in clubs but will do an occasional FNRTTC as they really do seem to be an "up yours" to the traditional concept of a club. Although I find the stops a bit too long, so I'm not sure I'll do many more.

I have done several charity rides plus a sportive or two, but they were as a solo rider working to my own timetable.

There is one group ride I really look forward to doing again. A very small group - it's @StuAff's overnight "excursion" around the IoW. Mind you, I'd like warmer (or at least drier) weather next time.

For riders that are exclusively "solo", the monthly/annual and ABC challenges on here are fun.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I got my back side into gear last night and went out on the bike. Surprisingly the weather was dry and the winds had died down. Managed to enjoy an 18 mile loop ride.
Didn't have much enthusiasm at the start, but once i got going i really started to enjoy it.
I think its more of a mental block than anything else. The hardest part of cycling this time of year is pushing the bike out of the front door 😁

screenman

Legendary Member
Clubs do weird things.

The rides get faster the further you go. The opposite of the way speed works as you go up the distance in any physical activity.

Clubs don’t cater for longer rides at a moderate pace.

Our one does, you just make the ride yourself and ask your club mates along.

CPRam

Regular
There is something oddly satisfying about being caught in torrential rain, it feels like you’re battling against adversity. It’s the same when I’m out on my motorcycle, if I get drenched and the bike is filthy, it feels like a proper ride.
There is something in this. My most memorable rides are mostly those where I've been out in biblical conditions!

johnblack

Über Member
I like to have goals for the year in that there are certain rides I know I'm going to do, that need me to train outside of my comfort zone. They give me the push to get out when I might otherwise stay in. At this time of year I tend to ride the MTB, so I feel like I've put in a proper effort in 2 hours / 30 miles rather than a much longer ride on the roadie for the same perceived effort. Plus the option of off-road sections breaks up the ride. I also do 3 or 4 HIIT sessions on the static which I weirdly enjoy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If your motivation is low, then just don't bother getting on the bike and don't fret about it. All year round, all weather cycling is not for everyone. Go and do something that you will find enjoyable instead. There's always another day to go and cycle.

Top Bottom