The 'need' to indicate - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I indicate quite liberally, despite the fact that I drive a BMW. I tend to support the view that there are few, if any, situations where it’s a bad idea to give other road users an idea of what I’m about to do. But I indicate before I do it not as an afterthought

I’d like to think I’m not arrogant enough to assume I’m such a good driver that I could never miss observing another road user. As a result I may often indicate “to no-one”.

I’ll often also indicate in a “left/right turn lane”. As observed above, that could indicate (sorry) that I really will go that way and I’m not a stranger who’s picked the wrong lane.

My biggest indicator bugbear is from parked vehicles where the driver has been just sitting there for several minutes (ie not just getting into car and going). They pull out without indication or any other kind of signal.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was going to turn left into a garden centre but the tarmac was rough so decided against a woman in a 4x4 following me in blew her horn I asked what the problem was as she was coming in behind me,got a mouthful of expletives charming woman.

By not indicating you discouraged her from turning the corner beside you ! I'm not joking either - this is why I rarely indicate left if anyone's behind - or waiting to turn in (right) from the other side of the road

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The words that stand out to me from this @figbat are "roaduser".

I too was told only to signal if there is another road user...
What that excludes are pedestrians, some of whom may be helped by clear signals. I challenged my tutor and he did accept that "roaduser" is too limited a term and marginalised the most vulnerable.
The footway is part of the highway, so a pedestrian is a road user.

As for indicators, what bugs me is all the drivers who seem to think that sticking a finger out to catch the indicator stalk as they turn the wheel consitutes indicating.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I bet the OP sits in a left turn only lanes blithely indicating left...just in case anyone was thinking he might turn right, or even take flight! :laugh:
By a "left turn only lane", do you mean one with white left arrows in blue circles at its end, or just ones with an ahead/left arrow painted on the road?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
This don’t indicate unless someone will benefit.

Turns into something even lazier than not looking. It doesn’t turn into they are checking for others first. It turns into they haven’t looked and they haven’t indicated. Not only are they not aware of who may be impacted by their manoeuvre , but those around haven’t even got a clue they might be about to make that manoeuvre.

But the looking , oh no one will be impacted, fails on the massive blind spots in motorised vehicles. Given the blind spots it’s a bit of an assumption that if you can’t see another road user, they can’t see you, or won’t be impacted.

boydj

Legendary Member
The footway is part of the highway, so a pedestrian is a road user.

As for indicators, what bugs me is all the drivers who seem to think that sticking a finger out to catch the indicator stalk as they turn the wheel consitutes indicating.

True.

If you drive regularly on motorways you'll notice that more drivers indicate a change of lane after the wheels have crossed the line than drivers who indicate before they start to change lanes.

FrothNinja

Veteran
a problem is getting into an automatic habit of sticking the indicator on without making proper observations and hoping that by indicating all will be OK.
So true. Indicating and moving without checking the way is clear is an increasing issue. There seems to growing belief that the indicator gives you right of way an attitude which makes the horn an essential feature of the car on todays roads. Only this morning it saved me from having the left side of my works van caved in. The Highway Code has the best advice but I concur with those that signal regardless of whether there are other motorised vehicles on the road. Very much a case of better safe than sorry when combined with proper observation. I would like to think the majority of CC members have enough nous and self-preservation instinct to always make the best possible observations and not put themselves in harms way.

Top Bottom