The 'need' to indicate - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
No, not necessarily, but the failure by deliberate omission to indicate is positive evidence of it.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
My biggest indicator bugbear is from parked vehicles where the driver has been just sitting there for several minutes (ie not just getting into car and going). They pull out without indication or any other kind of signal.
Especially the ones who 'blind park' i.e., facing the oncoming traffic so can't see what's coming until they're over halfway out into the road.

keithmac

Guru
I was taught the "why indicate if there is no-one to see it" as well by my driving instructor.

I always indicate regardless, see far to many not bothering at all so try and make up for them..

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I was taught the "why indicate if there is no-one to see it" as well by my driving instructor.

I always indicate regardless, see far to many not bothering at all so try and make up for them..

I suppose that makes a certain amount of sense for anyone learning to drive.

If the decision on whether you should indicate or not is based on whether or not there is somebody to see it, then you need to be situationally aware in order to make that decision.

FrothNinja

Veteran

If the decision on whether you should indicate or not is based on whether or not there is somebody to see it, then you need to be situationally aware in order to make that decision.
Good point, wonder what they teach at the IAM?

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Whilst the "need to be situationally aware" is a "good thing" (tm) but the bit I have difficulty is the dependency on being perfect in your observation. On my motorcycle training the systematic approach I was taught meant you had to screw up twice before you got into trouble. I feel the notion of only indicating if you are sure of someone who it'll benefit removes this chance of catching a mistake. It seems to be gambling someone else's safety to demonstrate confidence in your own perfection. I'm really not convinced by that

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Good point, wonder what they teach at the IAM?
Already answered a few times up thread. One example (mine) below, for convenience:

"The process of considering a signal should certainly be automatic, although the signal itself may not always be so.
Advanced drivers learn the "information" phase as part of the system of car control, that's taking in information but also "giving information" which will include signalling in all its forms. Information is constantly assessed through all phases of negotiating a hazard, so the theory is that you should always be considering whether a signal will help and / or be appropriate at that hazard. You might find (like in @figbat 's complicated junction in page 2) that a signal could actually be misleading or misunderstood, so you may adapt to that situation differently, say with a lower speed through the hazard, and more careful positioning for example."

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Nobody's perfect, if for any reason I've not see someone at least they have an idea of what direction I'm going.
Whilst the "need to be situationally aware" is a "good thing" (tm) but the bit I have difficulty is the dependency on being perfect in your observation. On my motorcycle training the systematic approach I was taught meant you had to screw up twice before you got into trouble. I feel the notion of only indicating if you are sure of someone who it'll benefit removes this chance of catching a mistake. It seems to be gambling someone else's safety to demonstrate confidence in your own perfection. I'm really not convinced by that

That's why I do it, if you have missed someone at least they have an idea on where you are going.

Nobody is perfect all the time.

Reactions: C R
At the risk of stating the obvious, there is no logic in suggesting that a policy of always indicating even when there's nobody around to see it means that you must lack situational awareness, as some posters seem to believe.
Indeedy.

A counter-example:
Driver turns right at a roundabout, where I have to give way to him. At the last possible moment - pretty much as he started turning his wheel right - he sees me and flicks his R-indicator on.
If he'd indicated right in plenty of time - on "Autopilot" - everyone would have been safer!

Alex321

Veteran
You mean the IAM who campaigned against the new Highway Code rules and call it "a book no-one reads"? Fark 'em and the horse they should be made to ride.
Is there a linky to the campaign please?

I wouldn't exactly describe it as "campaigning against".
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-...g-more-conflict-with-cyclists-and-pedestrians

And then a later press release
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-...rs-over-confusion-around-highway-code-changes

The last paragraph of the first link does say
“The simple truth is that most of us don’t read the Highway Code unless we drive or ride professionally, or are about to take a test. The Department for Transport needs to be realistic about the impact simply changing a seldom read document will have on the behavior and safety of road users.”

Top Bottom