The new Dacia Jogger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Reading about only the poverty spec 100hp model will start in the 15s. By the time you've paid for a little bit more power and to replace the wooden pews with decent seats and some toys then you're in Blingo budget territory anyway. Only the bottom spec model makes any sense for the budget conscious buyer, but it's far too compromised for my tastes.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not sure if there's still Renault crossover re parts, engines etc but my MIL has a 2017 Renault Clio 1.0 turbo. Its power bands are narrow and it struggles on steep hills. An even bigger car with the same engine, difficult to think Dacia would have a bigger output than Renaut, will surely be limited in its performance.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Based on the published numbers it's quite torquey in the Dacia implementation (200nm or 147 in lb/ft) on top of 100bhp so as long as it's not geared to the moon it'll be adequate, I'm guessing. Doubtless the Renault 1.5 diesel engine will be along shortly, which will be the biggest seller.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Ive been browsing cars for ages now for when i can afford one and always end up with a berlingo/partner. Practicality is everything for me and couldnt care less if its shaped like a brick :laugh: After rear seat removal the space is cavernous and with the new xl version its possible to sleep in it as theres more than enough length [im 6ft]. Will choose the petrol engine as diesels give too much hassle with blocked dpf and there isnt another petrol powered car that gives the space of a berlingo :okay:

Attachments

• DSCF3652.JPG
    DSCF3652.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF3651.JPG
    DSCF3651.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF3783.JPG
    DSCF3783.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF4571.JPG
    DSCF4571.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
I had a Dacia Logan 66 plate for over 3 years with a sub- 1litre petrol engine. It was surprisingly competent once you got used to driving it.

Towing limit was 1100kg or so, which meant we struggled to get a caravan, but we got an old one which was about 1040kg gross. We towed it for about 10000 miles, including over a mountain range in the South of France, with two bikes on the roof.

Towing really hammered the mpg, but the car did it.

My daughter had a Berlingo and it was a workhorse, giving years of use with limited maintenance.

gzoom

Über Member
Ah yes, I see it now.

Good article featuring the Brand Manager (or whatever she's called) here, explaining much better what I was trying to say above:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/dacia-keep-car-prices-low-avoiding-useless-features

Have you seen the NCAP crash videos? Look at the side collisions test to see the difference between a 2 star car and a 5 star one.

Bare in mind we all share the same road space, I'm 100% sure which of these two cars I would rather than an accident in. The cabin deformation (therefore potential for serious injury) is significantly different.

View: https://youtu.be/vS3ZCWd8zGM

View: https://youtu.be/iPZhB43gUcc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£60k Tesla vs £10k Dacia in a crash test. Erm. No comparison. Dacia's don't have all the extra 'idiot driver' aids, so also loses scores, and it's a much smaller car, and has an engine in the front which causes a fair amount of damage. The 5* cars all have stupid driver bells and whistles. Any half decent driver doesn't need these.

As car's go, the Dacia's are OK, and not many people can afford to waste so much money on a tin box, nor want to. They are also easy to fix, and actually don't go wrong. My folks have had their Stepway about 5 years, nothing has ever broken. Just goes for a service once a year. They are very popular for a reason, cheap and reliable.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
£60k Tesla vs £10k Dacia in a crash test. Erm. No comparison. Dacia's don't have all the extra 'idiot driver' aids, so also loses scores, and it's a much smaller car, and has an engine in the front which causes a fair amount of damage. The 5* cars all have stupid driver bells and whistles. Any half decent driver doesn't need these.

As car's go, the Dacia's are OK, and not many people can afford to waste so much money on a tin box, nor want to. They are also easy to fix, and actually don't go wrong. My folks have had their Stepway about 5 years, nothing has ever broken. Just goes for a service once a year. They are very popular for a reason, cheap and reliable.
This.

One needs to look deeper than just the headline 'star score', as I explained in my earlier posts.

gzoom

Über Member
This.

One needs to look deeper than just the headline 'star score', as I explained in my earlier posts.

This is my exact point, look at how the Dacia essentially caves in on the side collison tests. Its not just lack of 'gadgets', its inherently a poorly built/designed structure.

Here is a Fiesta scoring 5 stars on NCAP. Look at how much better it resists side collision. There is no excuse these days for lazy crash structure design/implementation.

View: https://youtu.be/1djYYB0Ebns

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
This is my exact point, look at how the Dacia essentially caves in on the side collison tests. Its not just lack of 'gadgets', its inherently a poorly built/designed structure.

Here is a Fiesta scoring 5 stars on NCAP. Look at how much better it resists side collision. There is no excuse these days for lazy crash structure design/implementation.

View: https://youtu.be/1djYYB0Ebns

So can you give us an analysis of exactly what we're seeing please, given I'm assuming you have a level of expertise in the area?

I feel like Dacia's are starting to get more complicated engines and reliability will suffer. Small engines with turbos in big cars are not a proven design choice for a car with long term reliability they are something pushed on the public by government policies and taxation bands etc.

I should also point out that Dacia's seem to have pretty low depreciation because of their popularity. That's good if buying new but bad if buying secondhand. Also I seem to remember a posting in a forum where Dacia parts were quite expensive. So I always feel like you have to look at the full picture over the long term. Some cars with decent reliability and lower cost parts still depreciate much faster. As ever look at the car you are buying with regard complexity. If you are a low mileage driver and many cyclists are then a simple naturally aspirated petrol engine and manual gear box might save you huge amounts of money over the long term. Overly complex cars are often the cars scrapped soonest as they become uneconomic to repair. I feel like Dacia's were a bargain in the past but are progressively getting less so for many reasons as the marque becomes more accepted. It's a bit like the Chinese MG's when they hit the market they were very cheap but now pricing is much, much higher with some models actually looking bad value based on their dated engines and equipment levels which don't seem to have progressed that much from when first released like the MG 3 and yet pricing has almost doubled. However MG parts are exceptionally cheap from what I understand again I remember a forum posting where a Renault plastic trim part that was £90 was only £2.50 for a similar part on a MG. MG doesn't seem to have worked out how to rip off customers with parts like most of their competitors.

gzoom

Über Member
So can you give us an analysis of exactly what we're seeing please, given I'm assuming you have a level of expertise in the area?

Its called the NCAP tests....hence a Fiesta scores a 5 (same as a Model X) yet the Dacia scores a 2.

What more proof do you need Dacias are built with little safety in mind for passengers or pedestrians :smile:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Its called the NCAP tests....hence a Fiesta scores a 5 (same as a Model X) yet the Dacia scores a 2.

What more proof do you need Dacias are built with little safety in mind for passengers or pedestrians :smile:
You seemed to have some credential given the statements you were making, hence my invitation to share that. I'm guessing that:

isn't actually based on any knowledge or insight to be able to assert that?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, the NCAP stuff doesn't stop me buying cars - I ride a bloody bike that has a minus 100 NCAP rating !

The NCAP could also be like why folk drive like tools - i.e. yummy mummies needing the biggest panzer for the school run, where a little Yaris 5 door would be more than sufficient.

SIL and sister are prime examples. Kiddy came along, SIL now takes the big Kuga, and not the Fiesta. Sister changed for a 4x4 from a Focus (and want's a bigger one next time). We managed perfectly fine with a 5 door Yaris with 2 kids, and my 'big' car was mainly used for long commutes by me in it

Top Bottom