The "oh what a Wally I am" thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I claim the title of "wally of the day" :laugh:
Changing a back brake cable (for the first time), put it in the wrong way, can't get it back out, loosen the front brake cable to compare, fray the new cable, still can't get it out, other cable pops out unaided :wacko:
Discover all I had to do in the first place was to slide the thing in underneath :cursing:

matthat

Über Member
Carefully loaded my bike up with tools, p******e repair kit, pump and lights in case I was even slower than usual and got caught out in the twilight....

then went out on a different bike.:whistle:
That reminds me of going to work with a lanyard lock with no padlock!! Luckily i work in a supermarket so quick run in to purchase padlock! And another time forgot both locks so ended up riding back home to pick clip on coil off other bike!! Again luckily I only live 2 miles away so a quick sprint and all sorted.

matthat

Über Member
I remember as a kid doing a wheelie on bmx burner and front wheel fell out!! Landed on forks on gravel! Don't remember sustaining any major injuries just pride in front of my mates!! :wacko:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I just spent an hour reading Sheldon and watching YouTubes to learn about adjusting the front hub because I thought there was play in it only to find, once on the workstand, that a wheel nut was loose.

Not having a good week.
:rofl:

OP
OP
Kins

Kins

Über Member
So I bought a new bike (to me) from the bay of fleas in mid feb which arrived by courier who had kindly damaged the large chain ring by dropping it from a great height! :headshake:

So I have only had middle and small ring. Been so obsessed with sorting it out and getting compensation for a new one that I hadn't thought about anything else on the bike. Today comp arrived so decided to treat myself as well as a new crank and BB, to get a new chain and rear cassette only to find out that the reason I have been struggling up hills in my fat suit is because the cassette is bloody 11-21!

Serves me right for not checking I suppose..... :wacko:

tyred

Legendary Member
What sort of idiot would service the bottom bracket of his Raleigh Trent and put the spindle in the wrong way round and spend an hour trying to work out why the hole in the drive side crank wouldn't line up with the cotterpin slot on the spindle without rubbing the chainstay?

What sort of idiot would then correct the problem and fit the cranks before realising he had forgotten the bottom bracket lockring?

Combine this with the broken freewheel lockring and the fact that I almost wrecked the wheel by misunderstanding how the Cyclo derailleur limits were set and almost shifting into the spokes and the fact that I have never made so many mistakes on any of my other rebuilds causes me to come to the conclusion that this bike is in someway jinxed.

Top Bottom