The "oh what a Wally I am" thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IncoherentJeff

After adjusting my spd pedals for the 1st time...

Came to stop at a junction left foot releases as expected, right foot seems stuck.
So I put my left foot back on the pedal to give me more leverage to release the right, only to accidentally reclip in my left foot just as I came to a halt.

Queue a slow mo fall over with lots of spectators in cars.
They're now set up correctly :laugh:

Billy Adam

After adjusting my spd pedals for the 1st time...

Came to stop at a junction left foot releases as expected, right foot seems stuck.
So I put my left foot back on the pedal to give me more leverage to release the right, only to accidentally reclip in my left foot just as I came to a halt.

Queue a slow mo fall over with lots of spectators in cars.
They're now set up correctly :laugh:
Never done that :smile:

I was struggling to get up the hills on my usual ride and feeling defeated, so I decided my motivational mantra would be "Don't look at the hill". I was busy not looking at the hill when I road into the back of a parked car. Luckily I wasn't going very many msph so no damage was done.
Last time I did that I was on a Chopper.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I washed my bike on Friday and took the wheels off as part of the cleaning process. Went out for a ride this morning, just getting back and I notice I hadn't fastened up the quick release on the front wheel, did 10 miles with a loose wheel, very lucky it didn't come off.

Never adjusted the saddle and then not tighten it properly.
I adjusted my saddle on both rides this weekend, i didn't forget to tighten it afterwards but i did keep tightening it while while trying to undo it every time i put my eye level above the saddle. My wrist just changed direction automatically once my head wasn't upside down.

shunter

I had the back wheel loose version - not sure how it came loose or how I managed to 'tighten' it in such a fashion. I did notice the wheel veering to the side when the rear disc brake was applied and after quite a few fast descents the penny finally dropped. It great that the manufacturers have made bikes almost idiot proof. Perhaps they read threads such as this!!

Typhon

I've realised this week that I've been making a silly mistake for some time. When I bought my Triban 3 I felt stretched out and like a lot of people on here, decided to swap my stem for a shorter one (110 for 90). I always had issues with reaching the brakes on the drops though and never knew why.

Last week I bought a carbon bike and have no problems whatsoever breaking on the drops. I realised why when I got onto the Triban and instinctively got in the same into the same position as the carbon bike - it's slightly too small for me. :rolleyes: So not only was I not stretched out, it was the opposite! I guess I just wasn't used to the low riding position of a road bike and wasn't hunkering down enough. I think a big factor is that I have lost 2 1/2 stone since buying the Triban, which has meant I feel more comfortable hunkering down on the bike. Also I have developed some core muscles in that time so I can hold the position.

I've put the 110mm stem back on. Now that the handlebars are further away I can get my hands properly onto the drops and therefore the brakes. Before my wrists were being pushed against the handlebar and therefore I couldn't get my hands in properly. The bike feels right now. When I've lost some more weight I might even consider a 120mm stem. I also much prefer the handling with the original stem, it was a bit twitchier with the 90. Plus it looks a lot better, a 60cm bike with a 90mm stem didn't look quite right.

Stevie Mcluskey

Über Member
Spent a week last month tightening up the quick release on the back wheel every other day thinking something was slack until extremely wobbly ride downhill and back brake on punctured tyre wall. Trip to LBS with wheel during lunch break revealed broken back axle. New tyre , inner tube and axle :sad: . On the plus side the quick release skewer was ok :blush:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Spent a week last month tightening up the quick release on the back wheel every other day thinking something was slack until extremely wobbly ride downhill and back brake on punctured tyre wall. Trip to LBS with wheel during kunch break revealed broken back axle. New tyre , inner tube and axle :sad: . On the plus side the quick release skewer wa ok :blush:
Blimey. Glad it didn't give way when you were going at any speed.

Stevie Mcluskey

Über Member
Blimey. Glad it didn't give way when you were going at any speed.

Sounds daft to say but probably glad of the puncture making me pull over. Only left me with a mile walk to work but worth it as at least it forced me to get problem checked over.
Not too much danger of anything happening to me at speed :laugh: although i was going downhill !!

malcermie

A million years ago as a randy teenager trying to impress a group of girls I decided to ride up fast and lock the back wheel in a wonderful side skid.......unfortunately I was on a friends bike and had forgotten he had one weak hand and had reversed his brake levers!!!! Opps and over the handlebars I go!!!:blush:

matthat

Über Member
A million years ago as a randy teenager trying to impress a group of girls I decided to ride up fast and lock the back wheel in a wonderful side skid.......unfortunately I was on a friends bike and had forgotten he had one weak hand and had reversed his brake levers!!!! Opps and over the handlebars I go!!!:blush:

:laugh:

Top Bottom