The one time in your life when you find the right retort...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Today was the first time in my life when I found the right retort and in French too so I am feeling quite chipper.

This morning I was on Eurostar and an Anglo-French family were sitting in the surrounding seats. The older teenager (lad about 16) lowered the armrest. I asked him politely in English if he minded having it raised since I always find it uncomfortable. Yes he did mind and no he wouldn't raise it. There's nowt so queer as folk or c'est la vie, I thought to myself.

Then he remarked to his dad in French 'Ce voyage va etre sh*ant' or in other words 'This is going to be a sh*tty journey.'

Without missing a beat I replied in French 'Tout a fait' (Yes, it will).

The dad never said a word. If it had been me, I would have grounded the worm for the first day of his holiday at Eurodisney.

So, when have you found just the right retort?

I formulate great retorts a few days after the event. Each one a cracker.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Standing at the roadside, waiting to cross a busy road in Cardiff - a stranger comes up to me and says "Oi Butt !!! There's a zebra crossing down by there" to which I replied "Well I hope he's having better luck than I am"

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
On our honeymoon in Corsica, I would go to the local bank to cash travellers' cheques. The lady on the foreign exchange counter was not of a sunny disposition. She would feed the travellers' cheques into something like a fax machine that would check them for fraud. It took forever. One day, I arrived just before closing time and the cashier was not amused. As the machine was doing its thing, she started sighing, looking at her watch, and scowling at me.

"Est la machine electronique ou a vapeur?", I asked. She lost her rag, but I got a snigger from the cashier next door.

Last edited:
Top Bottom