The pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
But haven't you had outings with her before?
Don't you know her?
Or maybe she was just trying to calm her nerves about her trip with you?
I have, but she was sober then. It's out of character for her to turn up so way over the limit. She's had a few sometimes before but not like today! Anyway, she sent me a text message tonight apologising for 'spoiling the day' and suggested that we should go to the Emporium, again in Clitheroe this coming Saturday or Sunday. She also said she'd drive, which kind of worries me as she's driven before and I've smelt alcohol fumes.
I think you could be right in saying maybe she was trying to calm her nerves, but I don't think it's for worrying reasons, more that she wants to take our friendship a little further.🤔 I say this because she asked me the other week which 'ladies perfume/fragrance' I liked the most. I said Cinnabar and/or Opium. She not only turned up today reeking of Pernod, she was also quite fragrant, smelling of Cinnabar.:wub:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think many folk used to go to those places as the beer was cheap.
Seem to recall an old teacher of mine went there sometimes but would be surprised if he voted tory - at least then.
Have also heard tales of drinkers in some of those places in the north who fell about laughing at the idea that they would even consider voting Tory.
If you like good beer and the tories are just serving fizz and piffle I'd wander down the hill to the New Inn later.
My dad and all his drinking buddies were Tory voters... and were all paid-up members and weekly attendees of the Liberal club :wacko:

(and yes, the beer was cheep... very cheap!)

I have, but she was sober then. It's out of character for her to turn up so way over the limit. She's had a few sometimes before but not like today! Anyway, she sent me a text message tonight apologising for 'spoiling the day' and suggested that we should go to the Emporium, again in Clitheroe this coming Saturday or Sunday. She also said she'd drive, which kind of worries me as she's driven before and I've smelt alcohol fumes.
I think you could be right in saying maybe she was trying to calm her nerves, but I don't think it's for worrying reasons, more that she wants to take our friendship a little further.🤔 I say this because she asked me the other week which 'ladies perfume/fragrance' I liked the most. I said Cinnabar and/or Opium. She not only turned up today reeking of Pernod, she was also quite fragrant, smelling of Cinnabar.:wub:
cripes - it's all happening in clitheroe - i met someone in london recently who said the place was known for fine dining - kinda puzzled me - I think they may have been referring to places outside in the country. The Parkers Arms is rated I think. You could always try the pub in Worston - then walk her back over the hill to dispel the fumes. Or the pub in Pendleton (does food sometimes I think) which used the be the local of the useless MP when he lived there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
First time I've ever heard of a Con/Labour/Liberal club referred to as 'posh'.

Old fashioned, run down and stinking of wee I'd call them. They are 'OK' as a venue to hire out for a birthday, as rooms are usually free, but as somewhere to visit for a drink, nope.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My first 'serious' girlfriend had a sister living in Measham, the 'Miners Welfare' club there was excellent, lovely pint of Mild, clean 'lino' floor, decent comfy chairs and a cracking 'full size' American Pool table. :becool:

vickster

Legendary Member
My first 'serious' girlfriend had a sister living in Measham, the 'Miners Welfare' club there was excellent, lovely pint of Mild, clean 'lino' floor, decent comfy chairs and a cracking 'full size' American Pool table. :becool:
How many decades ago was that? Doubt the floor is clean any more :whistle:

stephec

Legendary Member
I've never been in a 'Con club'. Not because of politics, it's because I'm not into clubs. Today would've been my first visit to a Conservative club. There was a workings men's club about 1 minutes walk from my house when I lived with my ex wife, though I must've gone in only 10 -15 times in the 25 years I lived nearby. I didn't like the 'you're expected to buy raffle tickets, club lottery ticket etc' stuff. My ex in laws went to a W/M club every Saturday night for 40 years that I knew of and probably still do. They always had to get there before 6pm to get their usual seats. Anyone found in 'their seats' when they might've got there a bit late would be frowned at all night!! :rolleyes:
And don't you dare make a noise while the bingo's on. 😂

Top Bottom