The pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure what your point is accy.
Wouldn't bother me.
Been in that pub a few times with no trouble.
These stories/labelling as spoons are standard fodder as the fact that they are a chain (albeit very different) allows lazy journos to put a clickbait label on any incident at all in any.
Meanwhile in downing Street ....
(Spoons on Whitehall closed pre pandemic of course)
(And I won't shock you with tales of what things might have been arranged there)

None really. I just thought I'd mention it after seeing it this morn'.:hello:

Anyway, I'm off to this place tomorrow, with a friend.
https://www.clitheroeconservativeclub.co.uk/
She tells me that the lunchtime menu is very nice. 🧐
do report back - including on the beer.
I think many folk used to go to those places as the beer was cheap.
Seem to recall an old teacher of mine went there sometimes but would be surprised if he voted tory - at least then.
Have also heard tales of drinkers in some of those places in the north who fell about laughing at the idea that they would even consider voting Tory.
If you like good beer and the tories are just serving fizz and piffle I'd wander down the hill to the New Inn later.

Chislenko

Veteran

T4tomo

Legendary Member
do report back - including on the beer.
I think many folk used to go to those places as the beer was cheap.
Seem to recall an old teacher of mine went there sometimes but would be surprised if he voted tory - at least then.
Have also heard tales of drinkers in some of those places in the north who fell about laughing at the idea that they would even consider voting Tory.
If you like good beer and the tories are just serving fizz and piffle I'd wander down the hill to the New Inn later.
Weren't Conservative clubs a just like workingman's clubs, but with less sticky carpets?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Weren't Conservative clubs a just like workingman's clubs, but with less sticky carpets?
Apparently the conservative club in Enderby has a big picture of 'the milk snatcher' on the wall (never been in to verify) that'd be enough to put me off my beer. xx(

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
God, what a day! I picked 'friend' up. She almost fell into my car and absolutely reeked of Pernod! 🧐 I couldn't take her to a 'posh' Conservative club in that state, so we ended up across the road in the Swan and Royal having scampi/chicken and chips in a basket!🧐 Feck knows why she had to get pissed and spoil it?! 🤔 I mean she'd made an effort dress wise. She wore tweeds and had a kind of ladies fedora hat complete with a pheasant feather in, plus smart brogues with a slight heel. I must say she looked quite :wub:.

I also suspect that she'd brought a small hip flask along as she kept nipping to 'powder her nose' and the smell of Pernod was with her all of the afternoon. Drinks wise I had a large pot of Earl Grey tea while friend had 2 large G&T's. What a fecking alky eh!!:rolleyes:

God, what a day! I picked 'friend' up. She almost fell into my car and absolutely reeked of Pernod! 🧐 I couldn't take her to a 'posh' Conservative club in that state, so we ended up across the road in the Swan and Royal having scampi/chicken and chips in a basket!🧐 Feck knows why she had to get pissed and spoil it?! 🤔 I mean she'd made an effort dress wise. She wore tweeds and had a kind of ladies fedora hat complete with a pheasant feather in, plus smart brogues with a slight heel. I must say she looked quite :wub:.

I also suspect that she'd brought a small hip flask along as she kept nipping to 'powder her nose' and the smell of Pernod was with her all of the afternoon. Drinks wise I had a large pot of Earl Grey tea while friend had 2 large G&T's. What a fecking alky eh!!:rolleyes:
Cool story bro!

Adam4868

Guru
Apparently the conservative club in Enderby has a big picture of 'the milk snatcher' on the wall (never been in to verify) that'd be enough to put me off my beer. xx(
Lol....local Con club from me.Next to a Sam Smiths aswell !

no idea - I never went in one on principle - I have variously in my life had folk try to tempt me in with tales of cheap beer and supposedly attractive available women.

But haven't you had outings with her before?
Don't you know her?
Or maybe she was just trying to calm her nerves about her trip with you?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've never been in a 'Con club'. Not because of politics, it's because I'm not into clubs. Today would've been my first visit to a Conservative club. There was a workings men's club about 1 minutes walk from my house when I lived with my ex wife, though I must've gone in only 10 -15 times in the 25 years I lived nearby. I didn't like the 'you're expected to buy raffle tickets, club lottery ticket etc' stuff. My ex in laws went to a W/M club every Saturday night for 40 years that I knew of and probably still do. They always had to get there before 6pm to get their usual seats. Anyone found in 'their seats' when they might've got there a bit late would be frowned at all night!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom