The pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
All of the pubs here have converted whatever outside space they own/control into outdoor beer gardens.

This has resulted in the local Italian restaurant buying up a derelict house plot and applying for an outdoor drink and live entertainment licence, seven days a week from 11am until 11.30pm with an added extension application from 11.30pm to midnight, 7 days a week- for 500 people... 500!

As the space is slap in the centre the noise and hassle this could generate especially at chucking out time, there have been 108 objections to the application.

It required a two day hearing with 4 barristers employed by the appellant and the objectors, to decide whether the LA would allow it. To everyone's surprise they did. Our village could well become a party venue as you can bet your last dollar that all the other pubs and restaurants will want some of the profits to be made as it's a taxi ride from everywhere on Tyneside and about 20 minutes from the Big Market, for those who know what that is!

The only thing that came out of the licence application was that the venue would require change of use from residential to commercial food and drink premises... and that one of the conditions on the licence is that to prevent n=oise from 'escaping' from the curtilage of the outdoor area a permanent 6.1m high acoustic fence and gates would have to be erected around the site... Planning approval for a 2.5 storey fence in the centre of a village.... that's as high and as soundproof as the Berlin Wall! The planning application and the resulting appeal if they refuse it could run for a couple of years. They had a special licence on Bank Holiday Monday [without the fence] and we were entertained by 2 hours af the worst Karaoke you've ever heard and then 90 minutes of a Queen tribute band... they were good mind. so we sat in the garden with a bottle and saved ourselves the £9 entry fee.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They're having a firework display down my local pub. After my experience down there on Tuesday with some chavs who'll probably be there tonight i'll definitely be giving it a miss!! :thumbsdown:

They're having a firework display down my local pub. After my experience down there on Tuesday with some chavs who'll probably be there tonight i'll definitely be giving it a miss!! :thumbsdown:
Gotta say I have always found chavs an incredibly offensive term.
Which, surprisingly, or maybe not too surprisingly, achieved a certain prominence/acceptability during Blair's pomp.
I think you need to decide where you fit in/feel comfortable to be frank accy.

(this comes to from a pub SOME might condemn as chavvy where after a pint and a half of fine quad hopped american IPA I have defaulted to a more moderately powered 99p pint of perfectly drinkable if not spectacular Ruddles)

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just got back from the pub which is about 1 minute walk from my flat. Two pints in three hours isn't much, but better than sitting here in my kitchen. It was ok, but they have four... yes four!! tellies on the walls:ohmy: and their volume made conversation rather difficult!!🧐

Edit...Correction, five....yes five tellies!!!!:ohmy: :ohmy:

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've just got back from the pub which is about 1 minute walk from my flat. Two pints in three hours isn't much, but better than sitting here in my kitchen. It was ok, but they have four... yes four!! tellies on the walls:ohmy: and their volume made conversation rather difficult!!🧐

Edit...Correction, five....yes five tellies!!!!:ohmy: :ohmy:
I called in at my nearest pub a few days ago. Its had a lot of money spent on it and its very nice but there are TVs everywhere. The Manchester derby was on and the pub was crowded. I had a quick half and was off.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Don't take your pint into the bogs.
Some time ago I was in a 5 star club (at a golf course). Everyone spoke "ever so well".
I went to the bog and stood next to a guy who had brought his pint in and put it at one side.
I said "if thats your sample for the Doctor then you have a problem"
He said nothing, not a flicker, nowt. Maybe it was my accent :rolleyes:.

Top Bottom