The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I forgot to post about this previously, but this is the view from my new workshop:

Office_View.jpg

How am I supposed to get any work done?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Sleeping coaches are heavier than normal coaches by c.10T so a pretty sure footed loco is needed not a pair (or more) of high revving machines which in any case are up to 46 years old, by the same backtracking in time the A4s were designed, built and withdrawn in a lesser time period.
Yes, but lighter when full of passengers.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I wonder if the Class 800 Hitachi 's will last 60 years...?
High speed long distance stuff generally doesn't last much beyond the design life of 40 years. They get replaced as a fleet replacement, and there is no use for the old stuff, unless someone wants to run an open-access service. Generally that means proving concept with some old stock, and then piggy-backing on another order to get some newer and cheaper / more reliable stock. However if GB Railways run the network as per the old BR, anything could happen.

Jameshow

Veteran
While on the subject of aging high speed long distance stock, I noticed these two on a trip on the ECML this weekend :

a 91 resplendent in its new LNER livery - very 1980s sectorisation InterCity, here at Peteborough
View attachment 661823

one of the remaining Cross Country HSTs, at Leeds
View attachment 661824

Both beasts!

plantfit

Guru

Attachments

• A4 At Lincoln (3).jpg
    A4 At Lincoln (3).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 3

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Cat 68013 Peter Wreford -Bush waiting to leave Birmingham Moor Street on the 14:55 to London Marylebone.

Catching this to Solihull. I love these Cats, quite noisy for a modern loco. I'm surprised these passed noise regs if there are such things.

It's the Severn Valley Railways autumn diesel bash this weekend, two class 56 rostered Saturday and Sunday.

Unfortunately Saturday is the rail strike, so I will be going on the Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_20220927_144144.jpg
    IMG_20220927_144144.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Top Bottom