The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Morning all. Last on duty again!

Good luck with the assessment Dave :okay:

We get our loo rolls from Costco, a great big pack of them. If we run out of storage space indoors I just leave them in the car boot.

I leave them in my car boot as well along with the kitchen towel and large cartons.of milk. Then I just get them when we need them.

D

Deleted member 1258

We get our loo rolls from Costco, a great big pack of them. If we run out of storage space indoors I just leave them in the car boot.

Thank you

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Yes, I hope things go your way.....all the best with that.
As Paul suggests, it all depends on who assesses your good lady.
I know soneone that convinced them she couldnt walk so got a badge AND a car. She used the car to deliver for a chinese takeaway and boasted to us the had just been to Blackpool and walked the mile long seafront.
On the other hand my wifes aunty is 94 and weighs less than 5 1/2 stone. She cannot leave her apartment without my wife supporting her. She cant get a badge as they say she can walk across the room :wacko:

Yes, I know two people like that. Both have blue badges and Motability cars. Both can walk perfectly well, one of them regularly walks the lakeland fells! I also know a (younger) woman who went to school with my son, she has great difficulty walking (spina-bifida), no car, no blue badge.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I understand this. Until my heart attack four years ago I was hopeless. During my illness this year I became very depressed, fortunately a friend pulled me out of it.

Since the heart issue I've become evangelical about men's health as many will not discuss it. I've been very open about my mental state earlier this year and feel ready to discuss any issue anyone might want to talk about.

My friend though has huge difficulty with opening up so it was better we talked no sense about allotments, compost heaps and water butts!!! 😄😄

Snap! I had heart attack at age 49 (quite a while ago now!). It certainly concentrates the mind ;) When I was in hospital, recovering, I recall a young nurse telling me "this is your life, there are no action replays". Sobering words. ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
You dont just "get" a Motability car. You have to surrender the mobility element of your PIP. Christ, no one bats an eyelid when someone uses the mobility element of PIP to buy a car to keep themselves mobile, but lease one from Motability instead and they've suddenly become an anti royalist spawn of satan communist sympathiser. Once you've bought or leased a car you're free to do what the hell you want with it, same as I am with my car.

Also you can get blue badges for reasons other than not being able to walk very far. Loss of use of an upper limb, hidden ailments, and I know one couple who have to carry life saving equipment in their car wherever they go for their seriously Ill child. They qualify for a blue badge so they can park close to their destination, and thus have this life saving equipment close at hand yet outwardly to the uninformed and ignorant observer they all visually appear fine and dandy.

Don't judge others. You never know the full story, and one day it might be you or one of your loved ones in that position and then you'll know how offensive and upsetting such attitudes are.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
You dont just "get" a Motability car. You have to surrender the mobility element of your PIP. Christ, no one bats an eyelid when someone uses the mobility element of PIP to buy a car to keep themselves mobile, but lease one from Motability instead and they've suddenly become an anti royalist spawn of satan communist sympathiser. Once you've bought or leased a car you're free to do what the hell you want with it, same as I am with my car.

Yes, I know how the system works.

Perhaps, the PIP is being "miss-claimed", in the examples given, shall we say?

Over and out

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats a different issue, but PIP is chuffing hard to mis claim. Even in the examples cited we have only your word, and even if that should be accurate we have only one side of the story. Why shou,d someone not use a Motability car to make deliveries? It's their car, they've paid for it, so shou,d those with a disability not be allowed to earn a living. When Mrs d had a Motability car she used to drive it to work to earn money - is that permitted in your Chrysalids like little world? Now my Dad has bought her a car she pockets the PIP - do we need your approval for that to? One day I'll be too old/knackered to lift her in and out the bath, so that money is being saved for a wet room. Oh, but you don't have one therefore in your little world no one else should have one either.

My wife is wheelchair bound and has weak hands, yet I had to take the DWP to court to get her PIP. That's how difficult it is to get it, so this idea that people everywhere are tearing the arse out of it is utterly disingenuous.

I'm sorry Mr Lad, but that is a disgraceful attitude in this day and age. That's the type of attitude that prevailed in 1930s germany. I bet you're one of those people that sticks their nose in when people use disabled parking bays because they don't look disabled enough for you. That has happened to me with Mrs D and I've had enough. Next time it happens I'm going to front them right down and make them squirm. If there's any justice in this world it'll be you.

Disablism is no more acceptable than racism or misogyny, and I'm staggered that you think its acceptable to make judgements about the disabled in that way.

I'm so incensed, so utterly disgusted, that for the first time ever I've now 'ignored'a user of this forum.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member

Also you can get blue badges for reasons other than not being able to walk very far. Loss of use of an upper limb, hidden ailments, and I know one couple who have to carry life saving equipment in their car wherever they go for their seriously Ill child. They qualify for a blue badge so they can park close to their destination, and thus have this life saving equipment close at hand yet outwardly to the uninformed and ignorant observer they all visually appear fine and dandy.

Don't judge others. You never know the full story, and one day it might be you or one of your loved ones in that position and then you'll know how offensive and upsetting such attitudes are.
I fear you missed the point. She TOLD me that she exagerated the problem and got one on the basis she couldnt walk far. She then uses the car to deliver chinese meals and proved she CAN walk very well by doing the blackpool mile.
The aunty was asked to walk a length of the corridor and turned down.......but she cant walk on pavements unless supported (unless pavements are perfectly smooth).
We realise that badges etc are awarded for other things than walking problems ut the cases mentioned highlight how unequal the system can be.

Top Bottom