The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@The Rover here you go. Some comments. Firstly this is not the exact route I rode this morning. I have to ride 6 miles from the Wheelton area to Euxton Mills, the meet point. Coming home I left the group after the cafe at Rivington and went over Anglezarke >White Coppice >Chapel Lane >A674 to Wheelton. Also my Garmin watch ran out of battery and plotted a straight line for the last few miles!!

The route is intended for riders who either want a short fast ride on a Sunday morning or, more importantly, to help those who want to move from our Club Ride to our Inters Ride. The Club Rides are flat while the Inters group ride a lot of hills - typically 70-75 and 5000 or more feet. This route has eight climbs, as opposed to hills, with the intention of building people's stamina and strength. The cafe is, unusually for us, towards the end of the ride. The idea being people who want to get home can skip the cafe, those who want a coffee and a natter can do so. Cafe is The Bowling Green at Rivington which I imagine you'll know.

Keep in mind the ride is intended for an 8.00 start on a Sunday. This means when the group hit the A58 around 09.45 the road should be quiet plus it has a good wide cycle lane at this point. It is busy during the week.

I PBd on Green Arms, Belmont climb and Anglezarke - all Cat 4 - so I'm feeling pretty pleased tonight.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31758445

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well....it was only 9 holes of golf but my first exercise for 3 months. That, a couple drinks and some food........I am off to bed. G'night folks

The Rover

Guru
@PaulSB thanks for the route, I use Komoot and it’s easily moved onto that app ok. I know a lot of the route and travelling from my house ( about 10 min walk from Ewood park ) adds another 10 miles or so.
Ive got an important appointment next week so bear with me and I’ll have a go at it ASAP.

Great effort with the PBs!

Cheers.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning. Not sure why I'm up as it's to be yet another dismal day of rain off and on. I'll need the waterproof gear and goretex boots if I want a walk.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Its not the cash its getting committee members, over the last couple of years a lot of the people who who were running it have left for various reasons and not enough people have stepped forward to take their place.
A very familiar problem in many different areas of life. Those who do, those who are lead and those who like a whinge - sounds like a cycling club!!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning. Grey and blustery. Managed to get back to sleep so good news there.

So today? Well a supermarket visit will be needed for basics, wash powder etc., and we have friends coming to stay Friday night so have to cook for them. Other than that we have lived out of the freezer and a couple of purchases of fresh veg since December 22nd. Needed a tight month for January. Good effort so far.

My wood shed. Well it has listed for years but is rock solid. Mrs P regularly comments "that shed is getting worse." Yesterday, after she had walked by from a different angle, "you'll have to prop that shed up before we go on holiday. Its at 45 degrees." Have I mentioned my wife is prone to exaggeration?

I've given in. Life is too short. I have three suitable props. Later I will spend some pointless time putting up some pointless props. Unless it rains. Please God!

EDIT. For some time I had a plumb line suspended to measure the angle. Why bother with science????

Top Bottom