The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

A little bit of excitement here today, our normally ultra reliable washing machine decided it didn't want to rinse, spin or drain, having managed to empty it, mostly on the kitchen floor, and put the wet washing in the sink a quick inspection revealed a curtain fitting behind the filter jamming the pump, once that was removed it was fine and its now humming away in the background doing the next wash.

classic33

Leg End Member
He's a growing lad. :whistle:
In which direction though!

classic33

Leg End Member
Mission accomplished. Got to Aldi and there was a very civilised queue. I was maybe 40th. They counted us in and everyone was super pleasant to each other.
Shelves were well stocked apart from the obvious items.
Managed to get all the grocery items for the aunty so she is ok for a while.
I even got 2 bottles of whisky ^_^
Would one of those be payment for the parcel yodel dropped off.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nice day here so got the front grass cut and a small bit of weeding. Not plucked up courage to have a go at the top garden yet. Soil still too wet and cold to do anything useful anyway. I could do with a large bag of garden lime for the brassica bit but will just have to hope for the best I think.
Went out for a short trip on the trike from the house to attend to a couple of minor adjustments.
Neighbours seem to be looking after me. I got a gift of potatoes left over from a hotel that had closed and they have arranged for delivery of bacon and sausages from local pigs.
Small children can be a problem as my nearest neighbour has two aged 4 and 5 or thereabouts and the concept of keeping a distance is a bit beyond them. They are out in their garden and keep running over to show me treasures they have found despite parents keeping an eye on them. Don't like to discourage them but keeping away from them tactfully is difficult.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Small children can be a problem as my nearest neighbour has two aged 4 and 5 or thereabouts and the concept of keeping a distance is a bit beyond them. They are out in their garden and keep running over to show me treasures they have found despite parents keeping an eye on them. Don't like to discourage them but keeping away from them tactfully is difficult.
Just tell their parents that you were a mate of Jimmy Savile. ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I am short of reading material now.
Last night I read a book that I have not read for years.
I read it cover to cover again this morning and am about to start it again.
I quite like my old Beano annual but have had enough of it.
Don’t know if they are still operating during “the crisis”, but, I often use an online outfit called. World of books, to buy secondhand books. Their service is excellent, in my experience. ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just tell their parents that you were a mate of Jimmy Savile. ;)
Yes, we live in a small cul-de-sac, the children who live here are playing in the street, have not seen that in years! Also, in our back garden, beyond the hedge, is a small girl, not actually seen her, but, can hear her continual questions, to her apparently patient “daddy”. My wife got her guitar out and had sing with her, over the hedge, to give her dad a break!

pawl

Legendary Member
Following a conversation on our local page on Facebook. Some woman is getting grief from a guy because she is asking if anyone has a wooden pallet she can have to make something in the garden to amuse her kids to keep them occupied. Basically, he is saying that's non essential and coming across as a pompous prick while she is trying to explain that her husband could pick it up when he is shopping and wouldn't come into contact with anyone. What do you think? Is he correct or just being an annoying twat?

What ever media you look at there will be some prat who who knocks a sensible in my option request

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well 28 miles, 2450 feet, 12.7avg. A bit slow but some tasty climbs thrown in. I'm doing quite a lot of pootling which is unusual for me.

Set off from home over to Brinscall >Abbey Village >Belmont then dropped in to country lanes to Chapeltown and Edgeworth for some long climbs up towards Hoddlesdon before dropping down Darwen >Ewood >home.

So Darwen to Ewood is a busy road best avoided but I thought it would be quiet. Wrong! Darwen man proved today the same dickheads that close pass are the ones who don't understand essential journeys. Very angry with these people.

Then on Livesey Branch Road @The Rover will know this road I came within three feet of becoming a trophy on the bumper for a woman driving one of those feckin' big square boxes with wheels on. Necessary vehicle? No.

I saw her approaching on a side road to my right. Craning her neck to look left and edging forward, I'm 15 feet away, suddenly realized she was coming out, even when I'm in front of her three feet from her bumper she didn't see me.

Swift evasive action from me and a torrent of abuse. She looked in her mirror, waved and turned right 50 yards further down the road!! 😡😡😡

Top Bottom