The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Oh my good Lord above. Just eyeballing last weeks ride data, and on Thursday s ride my average was just 15.2MPH - I'd have potentially been quicker on a pedelec. Time to buy a rocking chair and some Werthers Originals.

Thats a lot quicker than my 13 - 14 mph, so you're not doing bad.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm slightly younger than you Dave, though my aerodynamics probably aren't as good as yours. Held it in the high 15s, low 16s on most road rides this last decade. It'll inevitably slip eventually though.

Mine started slipping about 2008, after my close encounter with angina, and has continued since, though I managed to keep it in the 14 - 15 mph area for a while

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Off topic, have you tried Fat Boys in Arnold, proper cafe food.
Have you seen my "gravitationally challenged" id? There's a blummin' great hill between here and Arnold, and since Arnold is at a similar although very slightly higher elevation, a blummin' great hill on the way back. From here, the choice is Westdale Lane, which is reasonably benign but with a final kick up which has never yet defeated me, but is ill advised when the GP not far from the top has called me in for a BP test, and Arnold Lane, which is an exhilarating switchback on descent, but a debilitating switchback the other way, and bears an unfortunate nominal similarity to a Pink Floyd track, which in itself is sufficient grounds to avoid it. This isn't Lincolnshire, you know. OK, it's not Derbyshire either, but there's a very good reason I limit my rides to a generally southerly or easterly direction: the lack of mountains in the way. Furthermore, can you imagine the reputational damage that might be caused if I was recorded entering an establishment called "Fat Boys"? I'm thinking of the damage to theirs, not mine; I have no reputation to defend, but they might have some difficulty in appealing to irony in their choice of name when confronted with evidence of a waddling barrage balloon in front of their nameplate.
OK, I'll give it a try when circumstances allow.^_^

pawl

Legendary Member
I read somewhere this morning that the head of the motoring association? advised everyone not to cycle in case they fell off and hurt themselves and needed medical treatment. :eek: what an idiot.

I think I read the same article Wasn’t it the group who objected to 20mph speed limits in some built up areas.

Top Bottom