The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's so annoying as I really enjoy it. Sacrilege on here to say this, but it gave me a better buzz than cycling. :laugh:
The max I ever did was 12 milers.
The real buzz I got was on the home straight, maybe last 1/4 mile after an 8 miler, when I still had it to accelerate. My running mate (now my cycling mate) was a better runner than me overall but I could pip him on that home straight.
Ahhh if only he Mo.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's just too much........even for you! xx(:laugh:
Well, I could have them chiselled off and go starkers if you'd prefer.

Tenkaykev

Guru
It's so annoying as I really enjoy it. Sacrilege on here to say this, but it gave me a better buzz than cycling. :laugh:

It's really hard getting going again after a break, and starting by doing an alternating jog/walk is a good strategy.
I'm a real sceptic when it comes to the claims of the running shoe manufacturers, but a well fitting well cushioned shoe can make such a difference.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I also miss the running a lot, herniated disc in the back and worn out knee's put a stop to it for me, one of life's regrets for me is never having run a marathon.
I only ever did one. Just wanted to say I've done one. Just took my time and quite enjoyed it. However, that was 20 years ago and prior to so much back damage. I think the training for one now would probably cripple me! :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's really hard getting going again after a break, and starting by doing an alternating jog/walk is a good strategy.
I'm a real sceptic when it comes to the claims of the running shoe manufacturers, but a well fitting well cushioned shoe can make such a difference.
Indeed.
Back in the day my running mate used to go to Manchester and get his 'made to measure'.
I was never that serious but at the time Reebok were my choice. When my ligaments started to go I resorted to sorbothane insoles which helped for a while.

Drago

Legendary Member
I also miss the running a lot, herniated disc in the back and worn out knee's put a stop to it for me, one of life's regrets for me is never having run a marathon.
You will recall I quit running in late 2018 because of arthritis in my big toe making it excruciating. I too miss it. The first mile or so was a panting, chest thumping agony then suddenly, BOOM! I was in the zone, legs going like clockwork, brain relaxing on a lilo in a warm swimming pool of endorphins.

screenman

Legendary Member
You will recall I quit running in late 2018 because of arthritis in my big toe making it excruciating. I too miss it. The first mile or so was a panting, chest thumping agony then suddenly, BOOM! I was in the zone, legs going like clockwork, brain relaxing on a lilo in a warm swimming pool of endorphins.

That is about how I used to feel, I used to also enjoy some races 5 mile, 10k that sort of thing, I was not fast but the atmosphere was always good.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Indeed.
Back in the day my running mate used to go to Manchester and get his 'made to measure'.
I was never that serious but at the time Reebok were my choice. When my ligaments started to go I resorted to sorbothane insoles which helped for a while.

Do you remember " Reebok Racing Club"? I think you got coordinated kit if you joined, never got on with Reebok as I found them too narrow.
Over the years I settled on Nike Pegasus, New Balance and Saucony as I have wide feet.

A friend who has had bilateral knee replacements recommended "Hokas" he's very careful with his money and the fact he'd splashed out on new trainers raised everyone's eyebrows.
I tried a pair that were in a sale and I have to say I'm really impressed. Supremely well cushioned and brilliant on the bike too.

Tenkaykev

Guru
That is about how I used to feel, I used to also enjoy some races 5 mile, 10k that sort of thing, I was not fast but the atmosphere was always good.

I loved the atmosphere and even now still get the butterflies on the start line if I've entered a race no matter what the distance.

When I was running longer distances and got to the " I'm never putting myself through this again" stage I'd promise myself that one day I'd restrict my running to 10 kilometres or shorter, and would be known as 10k Kev. That day has arrived, hence my screen name 😁

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Grey start to the day but not so windy. I was never a distance runner and 440 yards was my longest race distance.
Reading earlier about those who do not appear to like seafood reminds me of one occasion when were invited round to a friends and got an enormous heap of langoustine freshly cooked and some nice wine followed by a dram or two. Lovely.
I had a half dozen creels out and we ate lobster, crab and prawns regularly. What we termed prawns are in posh circles called langoustine. Also lots of scallops not spoiled by some poncy sauce.
Off diving at Canna we got several large crayfish which we cooked on the quayside over an open fire and consumed at market prices something like £500 worth for supper.
Happy days but sadly only memories now.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Grey start to the day but not so windy. I was never a distance runner and 440 yards was my longest race distance.
Reading earlier about those who do not appear to like seafood reminds me of one occasion when were invited round to a friends and got an enormous heap of langoustine freshly cooked and some nice wine followed by a dram or two. Lovely.
I had a half dozen creels out and we ate lobster, crab and prawns regularly. What we termed prawns are in posh circles called langoustine. Also lots of scallops not spoiled by some poncy sauce.
Off diving at Canna we got several large crayfish which we cooked on the quayside over an open fire and consumed at market prices something like £500 worth for supper.
Happy days but sadly only memories now.
That sounds like heaven to me. I love seafood. ^_^

Top Bottom