The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was too big and heavy to be competitive at any kind of race distance. Neverless, when I was in my early 30's my running partner was himself a running coach and he reckoned I'd be good for a 4 minute mile with my long stride and good lungs. I got close a few times, but never made a serious attempt at it, and regret to this day that I'd never had a proper go and can't wear the coveted Sub 4 t shirt. I was working up to going a 5 minute mile at 50, which is an achievement of equal significance, but just as I was starting to get serious about the attempt my foot started playing up and that was it. An athletic life of "what might have been?"

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was too big and heavy to be competitive at any kind of race distance. Neverless, when I was in my early 30's my running partner was himself a running coach and he reckoned I'd be good for a 4 minute mile with my long stride and good lungs. I got close a few times, but never made a serious attempt at it, and regret to this day that I'd never had a proper go and can't wear the coveted Sub 4 t shirt. I was working up to going a 5 minute mile at 50, which is an achievement of equal significance, but just as I was starting to get serious about the attempt my foot started playing up and that was it. An athletic life of "what might have been?"

That's outstandingly good Drago, I used to do weekly speed work intervals as part of my distance training and know how astonishingly difficult it gets just to shave off a few seconds per lap when you're already on the limit.
A sincere" Chapeau Sir" from a 5:27' miler at best, and sorry to hear that an injury thwarted your ambitions.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's outstandingly good Drago, I used to do weekly speed work intervals as part of my distance training and know how astonishingly difficult it gets just to shave off a few seconds per lap when you're already on the limit.
A sincere" Chapeau Sir" from a 5:27' miler at best, and sorry to hear that an injury thwarted your ambitions.
5:09 was my best at age 49 and 7 months, so I reckon I'd have been genuinely good for the 1 in 5 at 50.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Fortunate (under normal circumstances) to still be able to run and cycle. I find each offers something slightly different. Cycling is (mostly) a pleasurable, sensual (ooerr!) experience which comes with welcome health benefits. Running on the other hand is more about maintaining fitness whilst sometimes being enjoyable, particularly when exploring the way less trod. I find both help with mental well being.

Top Bottom