The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
You will recall I quit running in late 2018 because of arthritis in my big toe making it excruciating. I too miss it. The first mile or so was a panting, chest thumping agony then suddenly, BOOM! I was in the zone, legs going like clockwork, brain relaxing on a lilo in a warm swimming pool of endorphins.
I was never a good runner. 12 miles at 8+ minute miles but I recall the sensation you refer to......you just get in the zone and its lovely.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It tastes quite a lot like crab IMHO and I can't be arsed with all that faffing around to get the shell off.
There should be no faffing about except for the claws. Give it a bash and get the body out. Remove the black bit and eat. It is nothing like crab which needs much more faffing about to get the body meat out without getting the undesirable bits. The two taste entirely different IMO. Lobster is more finger food than crab as easier to get at without utensils, apart from a hammer which both need.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to run as general fitness training for my sport of sidecar racing but an off at Cadwell Park put paid to that. The lower back injury I sustained meant that any high impact training was unsustainable. I changed over to an exercise bike and swimming instead.
I used to go to Oulton Park back in the days of Minter etc.
I recall standing at Old Hall when a guy came off, slid along on his bum, hit the verge and did a huge somersault landing on his back on top of the hording. He limped away with help but I sometimes wonder if he fully recovered.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There should be no faffing about except for the claws. Give it a bash and get the body out. Remove the black bit and eat. It is nothing like crab which needs much more faffing about to get the body meat out without getting the undesirable bits. The two taste entirely different IMO. Lobster is more finger food than crab as easier to get at without utensils, apart from a hammer which both need.

I suppose we all have different taste buds and thoughts on different foods.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It tastes quite a lot like crab IMHO and I can't be arsed with all that faffing around to get the shell off.
It is nothing like crab tho 'I suppose it perhaps depends on what it has been eating. To get the meat of a lobster just twist the body off and give the shell a whack and the meat should come out whole. Remove the black gut strip and eat. Crabs are more difficult and you have to know which body parts are edible.
I tried most seafood except buckies, not little whelks but the big ones. A commercial fisherman friend [who was also a fly fisherman ] tried buckies once and said it was the only seafood he could not eat.
Skate wings I do not get - skin and bone with little or no meat.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
@oldwheels I love sea food as in fish. I don't enjoy shell fish. Tried it eg mussels and even tried a lump of snot Oyster in Harrods but just dont get it. Definitely dont like crab. Lobster is just OK.
When we used to dive for scallops off Mull I would give mine away. Similar when diving for Lobster off Anglesey I would give mine away.
Edit.
I do enjoy prawns.
I must confess I share your opinion of oysters.

D

Deleted member 1258

At 68 with a dodgy back and ticker I can't see me taking up running.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would always struggle with running distance. My school was very keen on cross country running. :sad:
I could however sprint quite well, 100 and 200 yards .
Which helped as I was a pretty good winger for the school football team and other clubs I played for after I left school.

classic33

Leg End Member
I wish I still felt like a kid. :sad:
It all depends on how you look at things, seven to ten isn't that old!

"According to researchers, the body replaces itself with a largely new set of cells every seven years to 10 years, and some of our most important parts are revamped even more rapidly [sources: Stanford University, Northrup].

D

Deleted member 1258

It all depends on how you look at things, seven to ten isn't that old!

"According to researchers, the body replaces itself with a largely new set of cells every seven years to 10 years, and some of our most important parts are revamped even more rapidly [sources: Stanford University, Northrup].

Yes I'm aware of that, but it doesn't make you feel like you're 7 to 10 years old.

Top Bottom