The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
33 miles for me before it gets unbearably hot. Loads out today varying from families to the Tour de France wannabes with their heads down, arses up and working so hard doubt they even notice the lovely views. Great to see loads of anglers on the fishery and golfers on Gleneagles. Life is slowly returning to some normality.

Not long back from a couple of hours mtb’ing in the local Pentland hills, very warm and sunny. The anglers are back at Loganlea reservoir but apart from that nothing has changed. Car parks and lay bys still cordoned off. These are under the control of the regional park authority, it remains to be seen whether Sturgeon’s announcement yesterday will cause them to reopen them.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am glad not to be one of you distance cylcists today.....it was warm out there.
However I learned 3 things.
1. If your phone rings part way round, don't answer it, it will be Virgin Media.
2. After a long lay off its hard to get it back and the older you get the harder it is.
3. I moved my saddle forward 15/20mm as something just didn't feel right. It was defo more comfortable but I have aches in muscles that haven't bothered me for years. Not bad but letting me know they are there.
Enjoying a nice lemonadey whisky now before tackling the flower beds.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Forecast for several days is pretty good so since I had good trip out on the trike yesterday decided to do some weeding this morning as should be able to get out most days next week.
Local boy racer type comes haring past closely followed by 3 others all doing excessive speeds. Not all as it seems tho' as they are all retained firemen with bleepers going off. Sure enough sirens start very soon after and sound like heading Dervaig way where I would have been cycling. Umpteen tons of red with blue lights bearing down on you means heading for the ditch pronto. Not so easy with the trike.
I once met both appliances down near Bunessan about 50 miles away heading for a hotel fire. If you are a tourist just consider that they cannot hang around waiting for you to think about perhaps giving way as they have a lot of ground to cover. They also do TRC's so anyone trapped in a vehicle may have to wait on them getting there on mostly single track roads.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My club 5 Mile challenge ended up being a 5k. Nothing in the legs after about 3k so I let discretion be the better part of valour and cut the run short.
On a more positive note I finally ( virtually ) arrived at John O'Groats. 39 days and 1613KM in total. It has been a rewarding daily routine, and an opportunity to try out my new Brooks Cambium C17 saddle. I did experience some discomfort in the region of the perineum, usually after the first hour on the turbo. This of course may be specific to using the saddle on the turbo which is Mrs Tenkays bike and not really set up for me.
I'll swap it onto my Brommie once they Parole me and see how it fares in the real world.

I'm excitedly anticipating the delivery of a mixed case of beers from the Brethren at Northern Monk. T-2 hours and counting...

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Good afternoon all. Been up since 9am and took Molly to the beach where she had a good run and a swim in the sea. When is she going to learn to bring the ball back though? She runs after it, grabs it and then leaves it there so I have to go and get it. Anyway, she had a bath when we got home and then took my wife to the bank. I watched the news at 12 and, as from Monday, we will be restricted to a 5 miles radius from your home but will be able to have visitors from another household, in the garden only. I will watch the rest of it on the 6pm news.
I was planning to cycle up the Great Orme tomorrow so I must make sure I do it as it will be too far away from my home on Monday.
Right, I must disconnect and remove the old washing machine now, ready for the new one on Sunday. The old one will have to stay outside until the scrap man can come and collect it, for free as Currys wanted £20 to take it away. Sod that!
Have a good rest of the day everyone and stay safe.:okay: :hello:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am also back from a 20.5 mile bimble. I did the Mach loop, then added a portion of my usual short ride onto it.

Scorchio here. I am hot and tired and hungry now. :laugh:

Top Bottom