The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Derrick out of interest how does one ride seven different bikes? Most I've ever got to was three summer, winter and tourer.

No, no, no, Monday, Tuesday etc.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Derrick out of interest how does one ride seven different bikes? Most I've ever got to was three summer, winter and tourer.
I have 2 that i ride. The 5 bikes i sorted belong to friends. I look after loads of bikes, it keeps me in beer money now i am retired. Although the pubs aint open, i only have a few beers at home.so managing to save a few bob, ready for when we come out of lock down. Its going to be party time.🍻🤣

monkers

Veteran
My friend is a paraglider pilot. She's pretty obsessed by it and flies at every opportunity. A few years ago, after many attempts, she flew 6km across country. I met her shortly afterwards, she was so very excited and beaming so broadly, she almost had a flip top head.

She wanted a bike to ride to work on. She was resistant to the idea of a bike with drop bars and skinny tyres; she bought a Live Alight 3. It's nice and comfortable, and suitable for commuting. We've been on a couple of bike rides together recently, she's struggled to match the pace made by me on my Cube Axial Ws.

This morning, we rode on a route through Gosport, called Henry Cort Way. It's the repurposed remnants of the abondoned railway line, used only by buses and cyclists. It was my first time riding it, it has a nice, smooth fast surface, and plenty of other bikes were around.

My friend wished to try my bike for the first time, so we switched. She just took off and left me for dead, passing others on the road with ease. After a couple of miles, she was on the side of the road, with that flip top head that I hadn't seen the like of for a few years, beaming ear to ear she pronounced, 'I'm getting one of these'. I didn't get it straight back either, she took off back the way we'd came. She chased down a group of young men pushing on ahead of her. I had no answer to her pace while I was riding her Liv.

Today a new cyclist was born.

I made this post the other day. Today I spent the morning with the same friend. We went to the cycle shop where she had bought the Liv Alight 3 commuter style bike; you know just to have a look ;)

Long story short - a deposit was left on a Liv Avail SL2 disc. We went for a ride after, just an ordinaty ten, but enjoyable all the same. She couldn't match my pace on her commuter bike, but I know that next Thursday, I'm going to have my work cut out to catch her. Being as it is described on the ticket and Medium / White - I think I shall call it the 'wonderloaf'.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
no no no. People from Welsh are Walesies. They speak Walesie as they are Welsh.
So they are from Welsh Wales and speak walesian.
Di ye not kin Dai
Are they Welsh Walesies or Walesie Welshies then?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think this is probably the only thread worth mentioning this in. For weeks here we have enjoyed completely clear skies. At the same time we have seen no planes overhead. We are in the Manchester airport flight path but the planes are so high we only see them not hear them.

This morning we had a lot of planes overhead and accompanying vapour trails. Since lunchtime the sky has been filled with high, light cloud.

Local opinion is this is not natural cloud but vapour trails and pollution spreading out across the sky.

As an aside I was riding 30 miles north of here - no planes, vapour trails or cloud!

Drago

Legendary Member
Just heard some good gossip. The village school had been propping open internal doors, including fire doors, in order that staff and sprogs dont have to touch them because there worried about the virus.

It seems someone has grassed them and the HSE have dropped on them like a ton of bricks. Trumpton then paid them a surprise inspection and pointed out that the Health and Safety legislation concerning fire prevention, detection and mitigation had not been suspended. Oops! Source of much tongue wagging in pur little village.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just heard some good gossip. The village school had been propping open internal doors, including fire doors, in order that staff and sprogs dont have to touch them because there worried about the virus.

It seems someone has grassed them and the HSE have dropped on them like a ton of bricks. Trumpton then paid them a surprise inspection and pointed out that the Health and Safety legislation concerning fire prevention, detection and mitigation had not been suspended. Oops! Source of much tongue wagging in pur little village.
Local council are doing that in some of their offices.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think this is probably the only thread worth mentioning this in. For weeks here we have enjoyed completely clear skies. At the same time we have seen no planes overhead. We are in the Manchester airport flight path but the planes are so high we only see them not hear them.

This morning we had a lot of planes overhead and accompanying vapour trails. Since lunchtime the sky has been filled with high, light cloud.

Local opinion is this is not natural cloud but vapour trails and pollution spreading out across the sky.

As an aside I was riding 30 miles north of here - no planes, vapour trails or cloud!
Under the main South-North and approaches to Leeds-Bradford and Manchester, not seeing much more than last week.

Maybe they're back out with the "Chem trails" again.

Overflown, East - West, at high altitude at approx 03:10, this morning. Not a normal flightpath at any time.

Chen trails edited/corrected to Chen trails.

Last edited:
Top Bottom