The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all :hello:

Looking good out there. :sun:

GM

Legendary Member
Morning all...Have to agree about the flight pollution. We live under the Luton flight path here in north London, the last couple of months we've noticed a massive improvement. Another reason why I'm liking this lockdown!

Getting up now to do half an hour on the rowing machine, shower, breakfast, garden in that order, have a good day peeps! 🌈

Dave7

Legendary Member
Got to Aldi ok. Not many plants but we got some half decent Busy Lizzie and Petunias. That will fill part of the beds. The nursery say they will have some in for 0900 next Wednesday so MrsD will try there if there is not a scrummage to get them.
Another question for @PaulSB and others.
If I get enough plants to do some pots.......can I plant them into 100% compost (that I bought) or does it have be a mix of soil/compost?**
Think I know the answer, its just that I have excess compost and no bagged soil.
**the compost bag says it is "professional growing medium".

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Got to Aldi ok. Not many plants but we got some half decent Busy Lizzie and Petunias. That will fill part of the beds. The nursery say they will have some in for 0900 next Wednesday so MrsD will try there if there is not a scrummage to get them.
Another question for @PaulSB and others.
If I get enough plants to do some pots.......can I plant them into 100% compost (that I bought) or does it have be a mix of soil/compost?**
Think I know the answer, its just that I have excess compost and no bagged soil.
**the compost bag says it is "professional growing medium".

There is no reason why you shouldn't do this with your pots. My only comment would be that if you mix some soil in with the compost you will get better water retention. Two advantages to this; you will need to water less often and secondly when peat dries out it can be a bugger to get wet again - peat needs to retain a certain amount of moisture to easily take up more.

We always mix peat composts for pots etc. with +/- 50% soil or garden compost. It doesn't have to be 50%, that's just what we do.

Dave7

Legendary Member
There is no reason why you shouldn't do this with your pots. My only comment would be that if you mix some soil in with the compost you will get better water retention. Two advantages to this; you will need to water less often and secondly when peat dries out it can be a bugger to get wet again - peat needs to retain a certain amount of moisture to easily take up more.

We always mix peat composts for pots etc. with +/- 50% soil or garden compost. It doesn't have to be 50%, that's just what we do.
Much appreciated. I will see if I can get a bag of soil. Failing that I will pinch it from the beds.
BTW
Our climbing rose is doing well this year ^_^

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Out sitting in the sunshine for morning coffee. Found a temporary perch facing over towards the street and looking out over the Sound. View spoiled by the holiday house in front tho'.
Only movement is a ferry heading out. There have been so many changes to timetables I have lost track of where they are heading now.
Yesterday when out there was a yacht beating up the Sound. Definitely illegal and would not be allowed in the marina. First sail seen this year when at this date there would be lots heading for their floating caravan parks with water and electricity laid on. My first boats were "bucket and chuck it" with a Primus stove to cook on.
Have things improved? Different certainly but not the proper sailing experience.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Oh yes. Not going to mention this elsewhere as I don't want to join the debate.

I'm disappointed to discover friends are interpreting the new "6 people" guideline as the all clear to ride as a group of 6. We discussed this yesterday and agreed it was nothing of the sort.

I know of people from my club and another club who are planning to do this from Tuesday. The argument is if 6 people can BBQ then 6 can cycle.

Don't think this is in any way the government's intention. I think it does highlight the weeks of frustration which have built up.

Right time to go watering

:sad:
In Scotland the number is 8 but only from not more than 2 households and outside in a garden.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Out sitting in the sunshine for morning coffee. Found a temporary perch facing over towards the street and looking out over the Sound. View spoiled by the holiday house in front tho'.
Only movement is a ferry heading out. There have been so many changes to timetables I have lost track of where they are heading now.
Yesterday when out there was a yacht beating up the Sound. Definitely illegal and would not be allowed in the marina. First sail seen this year when at this date there would be lots heading for their floating caravan parks with water and electricity laid on. My first boats were "bucket and chuck it" with a Primus stove to cook on.
Have things improved? Different certainly but not the proper sailing experience.
haha. Bucket and chuck it.....not heard that one.
Me and MrsD evolved into wanting some luxuries.....like proper bog & shower.
Our daughter and hubby are the opposte. He has just converted his van with a bed etc. They tell me their bog will be a bucket with a plastic bag. Not my idea of a holiday :wacko:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning all fellow peeps.
I have been awake for several hours but only just decided to get up and shower. Breakfast has been eaten and I am now considering taking muttley out.
Another bike ride including some fruit and vegetable shopping on the way home is also on the cards. My touring bike with front and rear panniers comes in really handy for trips to the shops. 🚲

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Good morning campers. Another exciting day ahead today. Blue sky and quite warm already. Up early this morning ( 8 am) , Molly already walked and now wondering when is the best time to go to Aldi to avoid queuing for too long. I will top up on diesel in my Captur too. Ride is planned for this afternoon, riding up the Great Orme in LLandudno once I decided if the legs are up for it. We are invited for a BBQ next week at my stepson's house, now that we can meet in the garden, keeping social distancing of course. Looking forward to it, especially my wife who has not been out since March. Stay safe everyone.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
haha. Bucket and chuck it.....not heard that one.
Me and MrsD evolved into wanting some luxuries.....like proper bog & shower.
Our daughter and hubby are the opposte. He has just converted his van with a bed etc. They tell me their bog will be a bucket with a plastic bag. Not my idea of a holiday :wacko:
Bucket and chuck it is the traditional way. Better than hanging over the side backwards although gents usually just head for the leeward side anyway. Many drownings at mooring or anchoring spots are found to have the flies undone. Too much booze and a lurch forward can be fatal.
Only one of my boats had a flush loo and a large notice that said "anything going into this loo must first have entered your mouth NOTHING ELSE ".
My campers and motorhomes started with a toilet tent and progressed eventually to a cassette toilet plus shower which we never used as most sites have good showers nowadays.

screenman

Legendary Member
Phillip the pheasant 😊 We had a rather large seagull who would attack his reflection in the glass door of our unit, we named him "Stephen" of course 😁

Why Stephen, he might be having you on it could be Sammy, we have adopted a very demanding blackbird called Boris. I have had to put signs on the garage glass to stop the crows banging ther heads on it from very early in the morning.

Top Bottom