The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ah. Good I really am amongst friends. Tulane, Mr. Jones, No Spittin' on the Bus

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
Like Mo and Paulsb I didn't sleep well last night.......a mere 7 hours ^_^. And that was on top of the 2 hours kip on the sun bed in the afternoon. Do I have a problem?
I have a 10 miler at 10.00. Family are coming around for a BBQ at 1400. I know, we are a day early.... so sue me :rolleyes:
MrsD is going to take the aunty out for a short walk this morning......just around the cemetry so she can see the grave of her husband who died over 45 years ago :sad:
I'd settle for a short walk around the cemetery rather than being a permanent resident in it !

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'd settle for a short walk around the cemetery rather than being a permanent resident in it !
I often say.......I enjoy a good a good funeral, so long as I am in the 2nd car :rolleyes:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Woke at 3.00am :sad: The smell of smoke is so strong I went downstairs to check the house. The local dickheads set Rivington afire yesterday. The Fire Service say it's controlled but we've never smelt it this badly before.

That and the local youth all over the local reservoirs diving in, swimming, no social distancing etc. Rivington was absolutely rammed with people by 11.00am yesterday.

I hate to say this as I know how it sounds and admit to being tired and cross but........ It's been clear to me for weeks, one section of society will stay clear of this disease, others will continue to get ill and possibly die. It's blindingly obvious why.

Rivington Fire

A bit of Darwinism may be a good thing? ;)

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Now we are all of a similar generation and some are from the Midlands. I went to college in Pershore '74 - '76. One of the girls in my year went out with a guy called Mick who used to roadie for this band. They played our Student Union a few times, great nights. Mr Gibbons comes from Harborne where we lived from '80 - '82. Anyone else remember this band? Not many people I know have come across them before.

View attachment 526406

View attachment 526407
I saw Steve Gibbons several times around 1970 at local college gigs in Birmingham. Always a good show and I never understood why he never had more popular and commercial success.
I also saw him when he played in a band called Balls featuring Denny Laine (who lived at the top of our road at the time) ,Trevor Burton from the Move and other members who would later end up in ELO.
The Brum Rock scene was bangin' in the late 60s and early 70s.
http://www.brumbeat.net/index.htm
As a teenager at the time it was quite exciting.:becool:
My sister in law went out with the drummer from the Idle Race at one time. There's a claim to fame. :laugh:

Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
Good morning all. Still 'aloive aloive O'.
Sorry to have missed you all yesterday. The power adaptor to this laptop gave up the duck, and left me with bat flattery. Not then having good access to the internet made sourcing another difficult, so I eventually assaulted it with the soldering iron instead :rolleyes:

Also decided to give the bike a bit of a look over, not being able to take up the offer of a free service. I was mortified when I checked the headset bearing play - it was falling apart. You might remember I had complained of bar shake on our local roads - much better now I've sorted that.

The only real criticism that remains is that Shimano Claris front changer - it really is a bit crappy, I don't need the small chain ring. I tend to use just the top five ratios, so at the moment I've adjusted for smoothest running and no chain rub to the point where it no longer shifts to the lower ring, but I'd sooner leave it like this.

My first upgrade though will be to the pedals. It came without and I fitted Cube Ready-to-Race flat pedals to get started. About 50 years ago I bought Lyotard single sided pedals with Christophe clips and Allez straps, so I'm keen to get back to a proper clipped in feel, but the technology has changed. So now I'm a bit clueless what to fit; SPD / Look or something else?

Later that front changer must go for something a bit more exotic.

Any news on our friend numbnuts as yet?

Any road up, that's enough rambling from me for one day, have a really great day folks. I'm out with my friend today exercising careful 'plague zombie avoidance procedure'.

Top Bottom