The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I feel like touching on a wide and limitless subject.... My own ignorance and prejudice. I grew up thinking of people in unflattering stereotypes which I've learned are always wrong. For example, I thought the Italian people were all vicious criminals, Asians only loved male children, Germans are Nazis, and the English are either red faced, sweaty, pompous bullies or dry humorless stiff upper lip types. I could go on but I'm sure I have disgraced myself enough. At the risk of maudlinity (is that a word?) I've come to enjoy this thread because it daily illustrates how wrong my pigeon holing people is. You all appear to be caring, intelligent people whose self deprecating humor and affection for each other, even those with perennially soiled drawers, is heartening. I also enjoy the idea that although you are all UK citizens (I think) you also identify fairly strongly with the area you come from, in the same way the Native Americans I've worked with are of course Native Americans, but more importantly Flatheads, Northern Arapaho, Cheyenne or whatever tribe they belong to. In their cases the tribe is secondary to the family. I wish more people in this country could learn these lessons and that I could learn them better....

It is a trait of the British people to be self dep...whatever you said. :laugh:

And we always, always make fun of each other. We have a very dry sense of humour we do. And we also look after the afflicted like Drago and his Y fronts (even though the smell is quite off putting) because that's the way we were dragged up.:laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

This thread is a nice place to spend some time, and the people on here are lovely.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
By van, do you mean battered old HiLux with the Bofors gun in the back?
I'm just glad that I'm not giving off a hostile profile. :laugh:

GM

Legendary Member
I feel like touching on a wide and limitless subject.... My own ignorance and prejudice. I grew up thinking of people in unflattering stereotypes which I've learned are always wrong. For example, I thought the Italian people were all vicious criminals, Asians only loved male children, Germans are Nazis, and the English are either red faced, sweaty, pompous bullies or dry humorless stiff upper lip types. I could go on but I'm sure I have disgraced myself enough. At the risk of maudlinity (is that a word?) I've come to enjoy this thread because it daily illustrates how wrong my pigeon holing people is. You all appear to be caring, intelligent people whose self deprecating humor and affection for each other, even those with perennially soiled drawers, is heartening. I also enjoy the idea that although you are all UK citizens (I think) you also identify fairly strongly with the area you come from, in the same way the Native Americans I've worked with are of course Native Americans, but more importantly Flatheads, Northern Arapaho, Cheyenne or whatever tribe they belong to. In their cases the tribe is secondary to the family. I wish more people in this country could learn these lessons and that I could learn them better....

I've just been reading about The Great American Rail-Trail. That looks like it's going to be fantastic when it's finished, a tad over half way at the moment. I've a sneaky feeling though, that when it's finished I might not be the fit 90 year old I was hoping to be. :sad:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In 1976 I had a 3 year old and a 1 year old and I was trying to keep them cool. I hated that weather.

2010 was so cold here In Wales and the snow was 2 or 3 feet deep. We couldn't get off the property for 3 weeks as the lane was cpmpletely blocked by snow.

Yes, we had a 4 year old, and a two year old, on holiday in a caravan, near Weston-Super-Mare. 4 year old developed measles, absolute nightmare....... the joys of parenthood ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
'ere, I'm Yorkshire born n'bred!
Correct shade of blue for the Yorkshire Flag, Pantone 300.
Correct blue for the current Scottish Flag, Pantone 300.
New UK passport colour, Pantone 300.
Correct shade of blue on United States of America Flag, Pantone 300.
You might see a pattern forming.

They'll not give us our County back, we'll get it back ourselves. Aye, an' more besides!

Top Bottom