The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I had a 2 quite big cuts and stitches to suite.
I had mesh implants sewn in.
A week before I could walk better than a shuffle.
9 weeks before I could drive.
12 weeks off work...... and I hated taking time off on the sick.
I suppose all hernias are different as are all surgeons.

Mine was mesh before the NHS adopted that system, a small cut about 2 inches maybe less and discomfort the next day, I had the snip done at the same time which made time on the turbo a tad sore and one dissolveable stitch that did not dissolve, now that was interesting a week or so later when they gave it a quick pull to get it out.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Apparently there is snow on top of mount Snowdon this morning. :cold:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I can't see it from my house. I can see Cader Idris from 100 yards down the road. And of course I can't see that because of the mist:laugh:
How is Cader Idris ?
Not seen her since we had a frisky night out many years ago:rolleyes:.
Also many years ago........on my cycle tour of north Wales, I 'got off' with a girl in Bangor. Nice girl but I still remember her name..... Nan Blodwyn Hughes...... put me right off.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm 5ft 4 and stuck at 9 and a half. Really need to get it to 9 and preferably between 8.5 and 9 for the spring if I can. I feel a lot better when I'm carrying less weight, especially as the legs don't work that well as it is without carrying any extra lard :sad:
I am quite happy with feet and inches but lost touch with imperial weights so cannot visualise anything that way. In my business life every weight was metric and the medical world use that as well so I think length in imperial, fuel in gallons and weight metric. Confusing?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
TBH mine was excruciating because in them there dark ages it was open surgery.
Plus the surgeon warned me not to have them done together but I was worried I might not go back so elected to have them both done....... BIG mistake.
I understand its keyhole now with little discomfort.
I had a belly button hernia so now no visible navel then one lower down on the right. After the last one my dangly bits began to turn black a few days after I was discharged so nipped back to A&E and got a surgeon who said this happened sometimes but come back if bits start falling off. It took a few weeks but the colour did go away eventually.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Retirement doesn't suit everyone, I had two friends retire at the same time, one turned to me about a month later and said "I don't know how I found time to work" the other one got depressed and went back to work, he's now in his eighties and working part time at one of the LBS's.
It all depends on what interests you have outside of work. I am always busy for most of the day, always have a plan for each day. I have known people who have retired and been bored rigid. But, they have had no hobbies or interests.

I can't see it from my house. I can see Cader Idris from 100 yards down the road. And of course I can't see that because of the mist:laugh:
Cader Idris, there’s a blast from the past ! My first ‘mountain’, aged about 10 I guess, my Dad took me and my brother up there during a family holiday near Dolgellau. One of our best holidays ever :smile:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Busy morning and this is first time sitting down since I got up at 7 o'clock.
Rainy and misty but not cold so shopping in coop then some house chores followed by visit to the local garage to order 2 new tyres.
The present front ones passed the last mot but were noted as being a bit worn on the service report so thought just get it done before winter bites. The advantage of being a regular customer is that they will collect the car from my house and bring it back when done.
Since the car has not been any long distances recently took it for a blast up the New Road. It was new about 25 years ago and has retained that name, all 3 miles of it.
At the Gualan Dhubh the mist was quite thick which often happens at the higher level.
Bread is ready to come out of the oven now.

Top Bottom