The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
If you have the funds I can recommend The British Hernia Clinic.

Thanks for that. I'll see how things go, if I'm going to have to wait for months I might go down that route. :okay:

In other news I've just enjoyed a nice soggy beans on toast :hungry:

Going to crack on with some gardening this afternoon, we've got our last green bin collection unit mid January, so I'll ram it full.

Tenkaykev

Guru
From memory that is one gray, dreary place to live.

These mentions of grey dreary places bought to mind something I’ve often wondered about. Referring specifically to the houses / terraces with grey / brown rendering, why not paint them in pastel shades, or even primary colours and make them look more cheerful? A nice Mediterranean blue or buttercup yellow would certainly lift the spirits.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
These mentions of grey dreary places bought to mind something I’ve often wondered about. Referring specifically to the houses / terraces with grey / brown rendering, why not paint them in pastel shades, or even primary colours and make them look more cheerful? A nice Mediterranean blue or buttercup yellow would certainly lift the spirits.

That is an excellent idea. No idea why they don't do it. They wouldn't be so bloody miserable in those places if they did. Might cheer them up a bit. :laugh::laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks for that. I'll see how things go, if I'm going to have to wait for months I might go down that route. :okay:

In other news I've just enjoyed a nice soggy beans on toast :hungry:

Going to crack on with some gardening this afternoon, we've got our last green bin collection unit mid January, so I'll ram it full.

As you may know I have been self employed since I was 19 so time off sick was never an option, NHS said 6 weeks minimum off work, BHC said a couple of days so it was a no brainer, the cost was just over a week's income back in 1991 or so.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Nothing can beat Bethesda near Bangor for a depressing place to live in. :sad:
Camborne in Cornwall would give it a run for its' money.

12boy

Guru
My scale gives me weight and % of body fat, muscle and, I believe, bone. The %s vary quite a bit with time of day and activity so their accuracy is a bit dubious. The challenge for me isn't just to lose weight because that just means eat a bit less for a few days, but to maintain a little muscle on my puny arms, legs and torso when I do.
This is the first day in at least 10 which has wind less than 20 mph. It is crystal clear and when I climb the little ridge nearby on my ride I will clearly see the Rattlesnake Range which is at least 50 miles away. -1C this morning but with no clouds it will be 7.2C this afternoon. I've felt sluggish and a little down with the wind and greyness we've had, but today will be a real treat. The wind will return soon enough. I have often thought there is no place on earth that wouldn't have its own particular beauty if there was no human influence and the high deserts in the Rocky Mountain West are one of my favorites, dry and austere as they are. I really do enjoy the excellent pictures you folks take of your beautiful country, though.
This weather should hold through the weekend and so my thoughts turn to sheep poo. Praps I'll go out to Jack Stewart's place and get another 1/2 ton of it for the garden. What a romantic.
Be well and safe. Hopefully all of us and ours will survive this damned mess.

monkers

Veteran
Oh what a grey day.

It's not inspiring me to even get on the turbo.

I've done all of the immediately necessary chores, and only managed about half the crossword. Sigh.

I walked round the Co-op and was prompted by a poster promising a jackpot of £116m. The mind boggles, I'd find it hard work trying to give that much away. After commenting on the absurdity of the amount, I allowed myself to be talked into buying a ticket. I also talked myself into buying a Bounty bar and the damn thing is staring at me from the coffee table while boredom is gnawing at my resolve not to eat it. Botherations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom