The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Veteran
Good morning all.

Bit of a disturbed night, but sheer willpower has dragged this too heavy sorry carcass down the stairs in expectation of a brew. I've read in wonder at some of the early morning adventures - it's simpy marvellous, but I shall remain slob-like on the sofa for at least another half hour.

Now where's me toast and Frank Coopers? The service here is rubbish.

monkers

Veteran
Monkers, you use too many big, nasty words for me :sad:.
Even in the last paragraph you used the words "work" and "works".
Makes me feel quite ill :wacko:
@Dave7

I really must apologise for the use of the 'w' word. I should know better. Similarly I've seen the thread being 'c' -bombed a bit lately. :rolleyes:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ouch! a double, that must have been painful. Fortunately mine is only a single also in the groin.
TBH mine was excruciating because in them there dark ages it was open surgery.
Plus the surgeon warned me not to have them done together but I was worried I might not go back so elected to have them both done....... BIG mistake.
I understand its keyhole now with little discomfort.

pawl

Legendary Member
This came up on my memories on my facebook page,

"They thought it might be all over, it will be by Christmas, in three week time I'll be 64 and only twelve months till I officially retire. This morning I dropped my notice on the gaffers desk, I'm Finishing early, the Friday before Christmas"

coming up to five years since I retired, the best thing I've done.

I took early retirement in 2003 ,like you best thing I’ve done Could never understand the people who said they wouldn’t know what to do with themselves when they retire.I had no such problem I do all the things i rushed to do when working at a more leisurely pace.

I suppose if you don’t have something to fill the void left by not working it can be difficult

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I took early retirement in 2003 ,like you best thing I’ve done Could never understand the people who said they wouldn’t know what to do with themselves when they retire.I had no such problem I do all the things i rushed to do when working at a more leisurely pace.

I suppose if you don’t have something to fill the void left by not working it can be difficult
The best thing about retirement is that I can get up when I feel like it and don't have to answer to anyone ( apart from Mrs G of course.)

screenman

Legendary Member
Morning all... Been absent all week, trust you're all well. Been a strange week, I've only gone and got a blooming Hernia, waiting for an appointment for a scan and take it from there. One of the pleasures of getting old I suppose!

Meanwhile while I'm waiting for our Asda delivery I've about 50 pages to catch up on. :smile:

Have a good day folks! 🌈

If you have the funds I can recommend The British Hernia Clinic.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Had mine done when I was 40ish, shopping next day and gentle on the turbo 3 or 4 days later.
I had a 2 quite big cuts and stitches to suite.
I had mesh implants sewn in.
A week before I could walk better than a shuffle.
9 weeks before I could drive.
12 weeks off work...... and I hated taking time off on the sick.
I suppose all hernias are different as are all surgeons.

D

Deleted member 1258

Retirement doesn't suit everyone, I had two friends retire at the same time, one turned to me about a month later and said "I don't know how I found time to work" the other one got depressed and went back to work, he's now in his eighties and working part time at one of the LBS's.

Top Bottom