The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Mogul Oil......before anyone asks.

The Troubleshooters I don't remember, but Mogul Oil is familiar.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Beautiful machine Mo. Good to see you've still got your cycling mojo. This will get you out in the spring.

My bike purchase is not going well. I've had nagging doubts about the Tifossi and said no to that. I've now got doubts about the Genesis, I can't see myself on a white bike! I may have to buy elsewhere than my LBS who do seem to be struggling a bit with options. I really, really do not want to do this.
I would really like another trike but one with a hub gear for ground clearance. My options for roads are somewhat limited but there are lots of forest tracks I could use tho' a derailleur with 20 inch wheels is a bit vulnerable. Cannot really justify the cost yet but working on it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Beautiful machine Mo. Good to see you've still got your cycling mojo. This will get you out in the spring.

My bike purchase is not going well. I've had nagging doubts about the Tifossi and said no to that. I've now got doubts about the Genesis, I can't see myself on a white bike! I may have to buy elsewhere than my LBS who do seem to be struggling a bit with options. I really, really do not want to do this.
What other brands does he stock? Seems to be hard finding a bike anywhere just now in the spec and size required. Certainly won’t be any 2020 bargains before the 2021 bikes are all in like normal. Maybe not the done thing, but if you could even find a frame you like, would he build a bike up for you?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Clint Walker was a tall dark haired western actor also appeared in several war films.
Think he was in Rawhide, or something similar.
Ed Byrnes - 77 Sunset Strip??
Yes.
Clint Walker was a 6' 6" tall actor. Famous for having a 48" chest and 32" waist (bit like Welshie).
He came to real fame playing the main character in the western series Cheyenne (spelling???).
Ed Byrnes did indeed play Cookie in 77 Sunset Strip........hey Cookie, lend me your comb 😃

Have you looked at Kinesis ?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Weather forecast for here is a bit out today. We should be having gales and heavy showers but there has only been one shower so far and no significant wind.
I can see Morvern from my house and am somewhat puzzled as there are heavy machines working high up on the hillside. It is above tree plantation level and there is nothing around apart from sheep and some cattle. They have been working 12 hour days as the lights after dark drew my attention. Looked at first like perhaps a road but to where? On the other hand they could be preparing a site for a multi million weekend pad. Great views but if you want privacy [apart from those on Mull with binoculars] that would be the place to be. Time will no doubt reveal all.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I would really like another trike but one with a hub gear for ground clearance. My options for roads are somewhat limited but there are lots of forest tracks I could use tho' a derailleur with 20 inch wheels is a bit vulnerable. Cannot really justify the cost yet but working on it.
I always get myself in the "can't really justify it" mindset. I think it's natural to most who are financially responsible. After a few days I get round to thinking along the lines of "I've got this much money, if I spend £xxx per year it will last Z years" I then add Z to my age.........at this point I realise I'll probably have left the mortal world by then 😂

Did this earlier today. I'm ringing the LBS to ask them to up my budget!!

Mrs P and I believe we need to ensure there is enough to live on for the rest of our lives. After that enjoy life. Don't justify it just do it.

We told the kids years ago you get the house but don't bother looking in the bank account. 😄😄

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Have you looked at Kinesis ?
Yes, as my LBS sell Kinesis. I said no to these because I want carbon, I haven't ridden aluminium in perhaps 15 years. I now think this may have been a bad decision and I'm going to look again today.

Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone else wants to chuck in ideas please do. I'm after a gravel bike to double up as a winter bike.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Weather forecast for here is a bit out today. We should be having gales and heavy showers but there has only been one shower so far and no significant wind.
I can see Morvern from my house and am somewhat puzzled as there are heavy machines working high up on the hillside. It is above tree plantation level and there is nothing around apart from sheep and some cattle. They have been working 12 hour days as the lights after dark drew my attention. Looked at first like perhaps a road but to where? On the other hand they could be preparing a site for a multi million weekend pad. Great views but if you want privacy [apart from those on Mull with binoculars] that would be the place to be. Time will no doubt reveal all.
Telephone mast? Wind turbine?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What other brands does he stock? Seems to be hard finding a bike anywhere just now in the spec and size required. Certainly won’t be any 2020 bargains before the 2021 bikes are all in like normal. Maybe not the done thing, but if you could even find a frame you like, would he build a bike up for you?
His brands are a bit of a hotch potch at present, mainly because of Covid-19. Currently offering LaPierre, Kinesis, Genesis, Tifossi, Cinelli.

You are right about the frame and even a complete bike. I've been thinking this way for a few days. It's my money after all. I am fiercely loyal to my LBS as I get great service and we've become friends so it doesn't sit well with me but I may have to bite the bullet. You're right about the 2020 deals and I'm not too concerned by that.

Thanks for the suggestion, it helps confirm what I've started to think.

Top Bottom