The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I always carry a torch so I can be seen by any vehicles for safety but tonight I was really shocked by the stupidity of a cyclist. This chap was riding his road bike, dark clothing and no lights whatsoever !1:cursing: What was he thinking? Does he want to live to see his pension? I just can't understand the mentality of some people and the bad name he is giving cyclists as well. :sad:
I had been in all day working on the trusty laptop so I thought I'd nip out for a short ride this evening to get some fresh air and to see if there were any Metros left at the station. I set off on my little 4 km hilly loop on my singlespeed bike and was just grovelling up to the top of the first hill when I heard a whirring noise coming from the darkness ahead. Suddenly a teenager on a bike appeared, wearing black, no lights, riding no hands, downhill, on a damp road with a potholed surface... What could possibly go wrong! :wacko::whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
I had been in all day working on the trusty laptop so I thought I'd nip out for a short ride this evening to get some fresh air and to see if there were any Metros left at the station. I set off on my little 4 km hilly loop on my singlespeed bike and was just grovelling up to the top of the first hill when I heard a whirring noise coming from the darkness ahead. Suddenly a teenager on a bike appeared, wearing black, no lights, riding no hands, downhill, on a damp road with a potholed surface... What could possibly go wrong! :wacko::whistle:
Did you get your copy of Metro?

ColinJ

Did you get your copy of Metro?
I did!

They all used to go by about 13:00 but since people started working from home more, commuter numbers to Manchester and Leeds seem to be way down and I can usually get a copy at any time now.

I've done the crosswords except for 2 of the cryptic clues, which I reckon I will solve soon.

I was looking at the Guardian cryptic crosswords online. I'm not really up to that level yet (I only managed to work out 5 or 6 answers on the one that I tried) but I'd like to build up to it. I discovered that they have numerous blog posts explaining how to tackle cryptic crosswords. I knew a few of the tricks but there were a few sneaky ones that I didn't know. I must go back and read some more of the advice.

My memory may be getting worse, but I want to keep the logical part of my brain working as well as it can for as long as I can! :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
I did!

They all used to go by about 13:00 but since people started working from home more, commuter numbers to Manchester and Leeds seem to be way down and I can usually get a copy at any time now.

I've done the crosswords except for 2 of the cryptic clues, which I reckon I will solve soon.

I was looking at the Guardian cryptic crosswords online. I'm not really up to that level yet (I only managed to work out 5 or 6 answers on the one that I tried) but I'd like to build up to it. I discovered that they have numerous blog posts explaining how to tackle cryptic crosswords. I knew a few of the tricks but there were a few sneaky ones that I didn't know. I must go back and read some more of the advice.

My memory may be getting worse, but I want to keep the logical part of my brain working as well as it can for as long as I can! :okay:
Today the Metro, next month The Times in under ten minutes.

Rail replacement buses running to Bradford & Leeds.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ah - I haven't caught a train for about 10 months. I wonder if there will be an extension for railcard users like me who have been told/asked not to use the trains!?
No idea, just a line of coaches on Horton Street, up from the railway station, for the last week.

Not certain if, or how far down the Valley they're running. Hebden Bridge is usually the cutoff station, the lines split after.

ColinJ

No idea, just a line of coaches on Horton Street, up from the railway station, for the last week.

Not certain if, or how far down the Valley they're running. Hebden Bridge is usually the cutoff station, the lines split after.
They have been doing work at Todmorden station. I'm not sure what, but the car park was closed for a week or so and they had a crane in there.
Oh, one of the closures was for THIS PROJECT.

I have noticed a metal post has been put in place on the underpass to the Leeds-bound platform. There is a bag over the top of it. Not sure what that will be for... A ticket scanner?

At some point, they will have to put a lift in for the far platform because there is currently no way for wheelchair users to get up to it. Hebden Bridge station was sorted out a couple of years ago.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have risen!

Dave7

Legendary Member
A quick hello and then I am off for my Covid swab. Life is just one pleasure after another at the moment :rolleyes:.
And is piddling down which is not in the forecast. A bit of a problem as I have to sit in the car with the window open while the nurse shoves swabs were I don't want them shoved.......she will get wet.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Ah - I haven't caught a train for about 10 months. I wonder if there will be an extension for railcard users like me who have been told/asked not to use the trains!?
Sadly no railcard extension. I checked a few weeks ago and they’d issued a wordy statement that basically said “tough”
Mine expired two weeks ago, I’ll get a new one once things are back to normal-ish and I can visit family again

Top Bottom