The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all :hello:

Today, I shall be taking the doggie for a walk, shopping in Barnstaple, prepping the caravan and having a pub lunch.
At least I would be if it wasn't for this lockdown carp.
Probably take the doggie for a walk, then slob out for the rest of the day.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I had to think!

Great British Bake Off? :whistle:
It was the final of the Great British Bake Off last night, something we like to watch.

One of the contestants had a total disaster with her custard slices. She gave up, walked over to the freezer opened the door and stuck her head in.

It was quite amusing at the time, if one was watching! :blink: Sorry. :sad:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning fellow retirees,
Had some good news yesterday, our daughter had a job interview for a teaching post. The interview was conducted via Zoom. She rang yesterday afternoon to say that she had got the job 😁👍
The added bonus is that we might be looking after our granddaughter more often ❤️
Celebrated with a lovely veggie Pathia washed down with a couple of bottles of Mr Henry Westons finest Vintage Cider😀

have a peaceful day folks 🚴‍♂️🏃‍♀️🏊

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning all fellow members.
A grey, dark start to the day here.
I shall be out with the dog shortly and then a domestics day is in prospect. I need some bread and milk from the local shops, and I am going to treat myself to a cooked chicken from the butchers. They are on £4.99, and it saves the washing up and the mess.
Stay safe everyone.:cuppa:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning. It's grey, very light drizzle and 9⁰C. On Monday we were promised wall to wall sunshine. On Monday I committed to cycling today. I can't bail as my buddy still has 620 miles to complete his target which finishes in three weeks.

Rain is due to stop at 10.00

On a more positive note I slept till 7.30.......again. :bravo:

Nothing else planned other than to investigate a probable blockage in the freezer. :sad:

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
@Paulus Our local convenience store does cooked chickens.
It always makes me laugh when I see them. Can't help singing 'Sledgehammer'.:laugh:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning fellow retirees,
Had some good news yesterday, our daughter had a job interview for a teaching post. The interview was conducted via Zoom. She rang yesterday afternoon to say that she had got the job 😁👍
The added bonus is that we might be looking after our granddaughter more often ❤
Celebrated with a lovely veggie Pathia washed down with a couple of bottles of Mr Henry Westons finest Vintage Cider😀

have a peaceful day folks 🚴‍♂️🏃‍♀️🏊
Congratulations to your daughter. Great news for all.

Does Henry know you pinched a couple of bottles of his cider? 😄

Tenkaykev

Guru
Morning. 6 mile hilly run done. Think the Garmin had a glitch. Thought I was maybe going to have a heart attack when I looked at it. Lol. It actually got higher going downhill, so just gremlins I think. Stopped to give a quick check at my wrist and it didn't seem as high. :laugh:

Porridge now.

I get this with my Garmin from time to time. Although it’s improved immensely since being introduced, wrist based optical heart rate is not as accurate as a chest strap or the optical ones that you wear on the upper arm.
It used to be that my Garmin would latch on to my running cadence and display that figure. That’s not happened for quite a while.
I think they continuously tweak the algorithms then when they’ve got it as good as it’s going to get they discontinue that particular model and bring out a new one with all the original flaws reintroduced 😮
Sorry about the wordiness of my post, I was only going to say “ chapeau” for your six miler but got a bit carried away 🥸

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I get this with my Garmin from time to time. Although it’s improved immensely since being introduced, wrist based optical heart rate is not as accurate as a chest strap or the optical ones that you wear on the upper arm.
It used to be that my Garmin would latch on to my running cadence and display that figure. That’s not happened for quite a while.
I think they continuously tweak the algorithms then when they’ve got it as good as it’s going to get they discontinue that particular model and bring out a new one with all the original flaws reintroduced 😮
Sorry about the wordiness of my post, I was only going to say “ chapeau” for your six miler but got a bit carried away 🥸
Yep.....just googling and I see the cadence thing getting mentioned. That would make sense as it would tie in with what my cadence normally sits at. I have a chest strap I could use but don't often bother. Might give it a try to compare.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not raining yet but showers forecast.
Got to wait in anyway for a couple of parcels if the carrier has bothered to put them in the van. A new side bag for the trike as the old cheapo one from Lidl is getting a bit saggy and is not going to last much longer. A bit like myself I think as this confinement to my immediate neighbourhood is getting me down. Last Christmas I had a lovely run in sunny weather up Loch Etive and posted a picture on here somewhere.
If we get a vaccine in December as hoped for I should be in the first batch done. Could kill me of course but I will take my chances.

Top Bottom