The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I read the first 2 chapters of my Times cryptic crossword guide, and then switched to the book containing 200 Times cryptic crosswords. I set about cryptic crossword puzzle #1 and to my amazement, after only 30 minutes of study those first 2 chapters of the guide had enabled me to solve...

... 0, zero, zilch, nought clues! :whistle:

I had better carry on with the tutorial guide... :laugh:
I read more of the guide. Blimey, some of those cryptic clues are mega-cryptic! Kind of example: a clue which requires you to spot an unusual usage of a word and find a synonym for it by taking alternate odd letters from a phrase and rearranging them! :wacko:

I decided that I would look at puzzle #1 for as long as it took for me to solve one clue. It took me a LONGGGGGGG time to spot the one below...

"Alert goalkeeper may dive thus" (2,3,4)

So as not to divert @Dave7 thread I'll just pop this in here. From '76-78 I shared a house with three gay women. In the 70s that was quite a thing. I was 22-24.
A lad I worked with shared a house at university with several (straight) female students. He mentioned them often and told me that he really liked them. He was going to have a reunion drink with those uni mates and asked if I'd like to join them. The women turned up and then one of his male pals. We had a jolly evening, and then it was time for the women to go off and catch their train home. My colleague stood up and gave each of them an affectionate hug and a kiss on the cheek. Eventually his male pal had to leave. My workmate leapt to his feet, got his mate in a very close hug, and gave him a passionate kiss. I'd had quite a lot to drink so my brain wasn't exactly working at full speed...

Colleague: "Oh, so that's my little secret finally out in the open then!"

Me: "Sorry?"

Colleague: "Did you notice what just happened?"

Me: "You said goodbye to your friends..."

Me: "... affectionately..."

Me: "... especially John..."

Colleague: "So...?" :whistle:

Me: "Er............." :wacko:

[My drunken brain whirred round trying to make sense of this information.]

Me: "So... How come you never fancied any of those women? They are very attractive."

My colleague smiled, shook his head slowly from side to side, and looked up in mock disbelief.

Me: "So, er..."

Me: "OH! Flipping heck, you're GAY!!!"

Colleague: "God, Col, for an intelligent guy you can be really slow-witted sometimes!"

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I read more of the guide. Blimey, some of those cryptic clues are mega-cryptic! Kind of example: a clue which requires you to spot an unusual usage of a word and find a synonym for it by taking alternate odd letters from a phrase and rearranging them! :wacko:

I decided that I would look at puzzle #1 for as long as it took for me to solve one clue. It took me a LONGGGGGGG time to spot the one below...

"Alert goalkeeper may dive thus" (2,3,4)

Have you no consideration! You give us the clue, and not the answer, I will be wondering all day now, if I got it right! :laugh:

ColinJ

I am soooo bored, nothing to do. :sad:
I can never understand anybody who has an internet connection saying that! :wacko:

Learn another language. Watch/make movies. Listen to/make music. Read/write books. Play/write games. Study maps to plan future holidays/walks/bike rides...

And hundreds of other things. 10 lifetimes would not be enough to do all the interesting things that you could do... :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Bogey is the word you are looking for.
Fungus

classic33

Leg End Member
I am soooo bored, nothing to do. :sad:
Learn to ride a uni cycle, online.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkqkYkO83c

ColinJ

I'd be careful in what you throw away. Some I knew used to hide money in what looked like a piece of waste wood. It had over a IR£1000 in it when thrown on the fire. His thought was no-one would want to pinch a piece of wood.
I knew someone years ago who bought a big chunk of cannabis resin. He had a few late night drinks and spliffs with his girlfriend and then they retired to bed. The girlfriend got up before him and decided to tidy up the detritus of the night before. She got a good open fire going and emptied the ashtrays into it. The contents of the ashtrays included the dope which had been placed in an ashtray for safe-keeping***!

*** It probably seemed like a good idea to a stoned ex-hippy! :laugh:

Top Bottom