The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning folks :okay: Surely the onus is on the new thread starter to express what its about rather than others to kowtow :okay:
Think i'll give the old legs a rest today as dont want to overdo it....and its also windy..
I was musing on bike apparel...yesterday i set of wearing a textile motorcycle jacket which was ok at first then 10m up the road i started 'boiling in the bag' :rolleyes: so took the inner liner out and sailed down a hill and ****er me, i was freezing! :laugh: So my quest for perfect 'Goldilocks' weather now extends to perfect 'Goldilocks' clothing :laugh:
It's really difficult getting something waterproof, windproof and still breathable until you go way up the high end ranges of Gore, Castelli, etc. Still, if looked after you would get many years use so may well be worth it.

monkers

Veteran
Good morning all. We have company this weekend, so I'll have to try and catch up on reading other folk's news starting tomorrow.

Looks like a brighter if crisp morning here today; looks ideal for a ride, but that's not an option.

Wordle day 3 for me. So far got the word in 3 each day. Good fun for a couple of moments to the start of each day while the kettle boils.

Apparently, in Scotland at least, LFT’s are now called LFD’s. The authorities have produced this oh-so-simple handy advert :wacko:
E3E17D94-2244-4C64-8F35-20B2739CB1BC.png

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Thanks Flick of the Elbow good to hear recommendations from actual users of kit :okay: im a big fan of proper kit and when i was a motorcyclist i never skimped. im skint at the moment though so it'll have to wait.....though i may set up a newbie clothing charity appeal :laugh:
A few Gore Windstopper jackets used on eBay. Having bought one from someone several years ago in the for sale section in here, I rate them highly. Maybe one could be your size/price range?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....m570.l2632&_nkw=gore+windstopper&_sacat=7294

Chief Broom

Veteran
A few Gore Windstopper jackets used on eBay. Having bought one from someone several years ago in the for sale section in here, I rate them highly. Maybe one could be your size/price range?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....m570.l2632&_nkw=gore+windstopper&_sacat=7294
Thanks Mo I'll have to make do for the time being :okay: i do appreciate your recommendations though, i know its good advice when its from your own personal experience. The M'C jacket im using is made from 'sympatex' which isnt as breathable as goretex probably why i was uncomfortable. :okay:

Tenkaykev

Guru
It's really difficult getting something waterproof, windproof and still breathable until you go way up the high end ranges of Gore, Castelli, etc. Still, if looked after you would get many years use so may well be worth it.
I picked up a really nice breathable Rohan "Rider" cycling jacket. It is waterproof"barricade" material and it matches my orange Brommie and is really well made, I don't know why Rohan stopped making them.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Morning folks :okay: Surely the onus is on the new thread starter to express what its about rather than others to kowtow :okay:
Think i'll give the old legs a rest today as dont want to overdo it....and its also windy..
I was musing on bike apparel...yesterday i set of wearing a textile motorcycle jacket which was ok at first then 10m up the road i started 'boiling in the bag' :rolleyes: so took the inner liner out and sailed down a hill and ****er me, i was freezing! :laugh: So my quest for perfect 'Goldilocks' weather now extends to perfect 'Goldilocks' clothing :laugh:

I have been amazed at how good the ‘Gabba’ type kit from the likes of Castelli and Bio-racer is. I see quite a few folk wearing the much cheaper versions from Decathlon. Might be worth a look.
Some good advice in here already and I'll add my twopennyworth. I agree entirely it is worth spending good money on kit as it will last for years. My club used to get club kit from Bio-racer, the oldest I have is seven years old and the only issues are colour fades, one or two small holes from crashes. Some of it doesn't fit because I've lost weight. The club moved to TacTic 3-4 years ago and to date this is equally good. I also wear Lusso, very good and Assos, the best without doubt, and I've no hesitation in recommending these. I wear Assos shorts for which you can pay a king's ransom but my oldest pairs are going strong after five years. Personally I think Assos is, by a country mile, the best kit in the world but it is outrageously expensive and I can't justify it. I have friends who use Castelli, Stolen Goat and Rapha and all are good though I personally have issues with Rapha.

You need to consider is layering. Today I went out in base layer, thin winter jacket and winter gilet. I would have been hot on the climbs, unzip, at the top zip up ready to descend. Easy.

Also consider physical protection. If one falls off quality kit will protect your skin. A really bad crash and the kit will shred but that's better than shredding skin. In my experience, quite a lot :laugh: , quality kit easily survives a crash with very little or no damage to the kit.

pawl

Legendary Member
Glad I have ignored any temptation to go tubeless. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth, especially for road bikes.

I am now suitably steeped and have sat down with my porridge. Just need to let it cool a bit or I will burn my gob. :laugh:

Sounds like a load of hassle to me as well.I don’t think l will ever go down the tubeless route .I have Michelin endurance tyres of various sorts on my bikes Can’t remember the last time I had one of those incidents that shall not be named :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

Chief Broom

Veteran
Some good advice in here already and I'll add my twopennyworth. I agree entirely it is worth spending good money on kit as it will last for years. My club used to get club kit from Bio-racer, the oldest I have is seven years old and the only issues are colour fades, one or two small holes from crashes. Some of it doesn't fit because I've lost weight. The club moved to TacTic 3-4 years ago and to date this is equally good. I also wear Lusso, very good and Assos, the best without doubt, and I've no hesitation in recommending these. I wear Assos shorts for which you can pay a king's ransom but my oldest pairs are going strong after five years. Personally I think Assos is, by a country mile, the best kit in the world but it is outrageously expensive and I can't justify it. I have friends who use Castelli, Stolen Goat and Rapha and all are good though I personally have issues with Rapha.

You need to consider is layering. Today I went out in base layer, thin winter jacket and winter gilet. I would have been hot on the climbs, unzip, at the top zip up ready to descend. Easy.

Also consider physical protection. If one falls off quality kit will protect your skin. A really bad crash and the kit will shred but that's better than shredding skin. In my experience, quite a lot :laugh: , quality kit easily survives a crash with very little or no damage to the kit.
Thanks PaulSB some good info there :okay: Im all for not shreading skin! when i was a motorcyclist i wore the best and could've been shot out of a cannon without ill affect! :laugh:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Toast and coffee before I get the bike stand out. @Mo1959 @Dave7 the only real issue with tubeless is when it goes wrong it can be terminal for the day. I haven't investigated yet but the Kinesis rear tyre was completely deflated, I've had this with tubed and would still have missed the ride. I need 20 minutes to ride to the meet point and 10-15 to change a tubed tyre. On the Cervelo it's simply the valves have gummed up. No surprise there as the bike was put away for the winter and I would half expect this. You're right people experience a lot of issues but most of these are in set up.

I wouldn't go back to tubed. In three years I've had two holes which didn't seal and needed five minutes to insert a plug which stayed in place till the tyres were replaced. I've had one incident when everything was terminal, over some glass and 1cm slash in the side wall. OK a tube and tyre boot might have fixed it but I'm doubtful - 3 mile walk carrying the bike!

Top Bottom